||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
Hämäläinen performing live at Magasin 4 Brussels, Belgium
|Birth name||Antony Hämäläinen|
|Born||August 28, 1980|
|Genres||Death metal, black metal, melodic death metal, deathgrind, thrash metal|
|Instruments||Vocals, Bass, Drums|
|Years active||1992 - Present|
|Labels||Lifeforce, Century Media, Prosthetic Records|
|Associated acts||Meridian Dawn
|Website||Antony Hämäläinen on Twitter, Antony Hämäläinen on Facebook|
In the early 1990s, he started playing bass, drums, and singing for multiple bands based both in the USA and Finland. His first notable position was providing vocals for the Arizona melodic death band Slaves For Scores (which disbanded in late 2005), and then the thrash band Burn Your Halo in 2006. Both bands had much attention coming mostly from Japan and Europe. In September 2007, Hämäläinen joined the Gothenburg based Melodic Death Metal band Nightrage as their permanent vocalist. He occasionally provides guest vocals for bands ranging in all genres of extreme metal both live, and in studio.
His voice is reminiscent of the early styles of In Flames's vocalist Anders Fridén. It has also been compared to that of At The Gates vocalist Tomas Lindberg and Dark Tranquillity's Mikael Stanne. In reference to his work on the Nightrage album Wearing A Martyr's Crown, Sputnikmusic wrote "Hämäläinen, from Finland, who has a lot of vocal similarities to Tomas Lindberg, which brings back a resemblance to their original sound from their first two albums". Added to his clean vocals "he can still maintain a melodic edge, but he only does it every now and again within the album; he only does it for the purpose of giving some of the songs a musical edge so the listener doesn’t fall asleep thinking that the only new addition of style is just a higher use of acoustic guitars."
- Karma (2007) by George Emmanuel - all vocals on "Reduce To The Sound"
- Rusted Eyes Awake (2008) by Landmine Marathon - guest vocals on "Bled To Oblivion"
- The Essence of Decay (2009) by Rising Pain - guest vocals on "Feel Less Alive" and "Am I Awake"
- The Isolation Game (2009) by Disarmonia Mundi - various guest vocal sections
- Self Destruct Syndrome (2011) by Neverborne - guest vocals on "Mechanical Ruin"
- Of Unsound Minds (2012) by AfterBlood (feat. Tom Angelripper) - guest vocals on "The More I Lie"
- Holier Than Thou by Nightrage for Metal Hammer Magazine Greece "And Coverz for All - A Greek Tribute to Metallica" - Vocals
With Slaves For Scores
- Hell Inside (2003)
- Inertia (2005)
With Burn Your Halo
- Drowned at Birth (2005)
- The End Has Begun (2006)
- Apathy's Throne (EP) (2011)
With Meridian Dawn
- The Mixtape EP (2014)