|Born||Antony Peter Jenkins
July 11, 1961
|Education||M.A. (Philosophy, Politics and Economics)
|Alma mater||University of Oxford
Cranfield School of Management
|Years active||1982 – present|
|Title||Group Chief Executive|
|Spouse(s)||Amanda A Benson|
Early life and education
Jenkins grew up in Stoke-on-Trent, and was educated at Oxford University, where he earned his MA in Philosophy, Politics and Economics. He also holds an MBA from Cranfield School of Management.
He began his career in finance at Barclays in 1983, but subsequently moved to Citigroup and rose to head the company's branded credit card business. In 2006, he returned to Barclays to take over the company's Barclaycard division. In 2009, Jenkins was promoted to chief executive of the retail and business banking group and asked to join the executive committee.
He was appointed as the Group Chief Executive of Barclays on 30 August 2012. He stepped into the role previously held by Robert E. Diamond Jr., who left as a result of a Libor manipulation scandal that resulted in a $450 million payout by Barclays to settle accusations brought by American and British authorities.
Jenkins served on the board of Visa Europe Ltd from 2008 until 2011.
He is a member of the steering group for the Big Innovation Centre - an initiative of the Work Foundation and Lancaster University. He is also closely involved with a number of charitable institutions as well as being a Patron for Government Employee Engagement.
Jenkins met his wife, Amanda Benson, during his student days and they married in 1984. The couple have two children. He is an ardent music lover who says he listens to rock, jazz, or classical music when he needs to get pumped up for a meeting or think through a difficult problem.
- "Bloomberg Businessweek Profile - Antony Jenkins".
- Jolly, David (30 August 2012). "Barclays Names C.E.O. Amid Tumult". New York Times.
- "Barclays' new chief executive Antony Jenkins: profile". Guardian. 30 August 2012. Retrieved 1 September 201.
- Aldrick, Philip (17 November 2009). "'Nice guy' of banking Antony Jenkins is the big winner at Barclays". The Telegraph.
- "Antony Jenkins appointed as Group Chief Executive". Barclays. 30 August 2012. Retrieved 1 September 201.
- "Who Is New Barclays CEO Anthony Jenkins". hereisthecity.com. Retrieved 1 September 201.
- "Financial Times - Music lover faces tough task at Barclays".