Ants on a log
Ants on a log is a snack made by spreading peanut butter on celery and placing raisins on top. The snack name was first used in the 1950s. The typical peanut butter version of ants on a log is recommended as a healthy snack by the McKinley Health Center at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. There are numerous variations, including:
- Gnats on a log – Currants
- Ants on vacation – Without "ants", or no raisins
- Ants on a Slip 'n Slide – Add honey on top of the peanut butter before adding raisins
- Beetles on a log – Use prunes instead of raisins
- Frogs on a log – Use Cheez Whiz and peas
During the song "Mama", on the album Turtleneck & Chain by The Lonely Island, the mother of one of the singers is heard to say that she made them "ants on a log". In the 1991 film Nothing But Trouble the chief constable (John Candy) offers traffic violator Diane Lightson (Demi Moore) "ants on a log, ma'am?" The "logs" are coated with actual ants, rather than raisins.
In the third episode of the ABC series Resurrection ("Two Rivers"), eight-year-old resurrectee, Jacob, ends his conversation with investigating ICE agent Bellamy regarding the original body found in his coffin from thirty-two years before by telling him his mother has just made "ants on a log" for his afternoon snack.
- Smith, Andrew F. (ed.) (2007). The Oxford Companion to American Food and Drink. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 100. ISBN 9780195307962.
- McKinley Health Center - Smart Snacks - University of Illinois Smart Snacks
- Insect-themed Food
- Snack Snoop
|This food-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|