Anu Choudhury in Ekalabya Award show
|Born||Choudhury Anasuya Dash
30 August 1979
Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
|Years active||1998- present|
|Spouse(s)||Sandip Mishra divorced(2012)|
Anu Choudhury (Oriya: ଅନୁ ଚୌଧୁରୀ) Choudhury Anasuya Dash born on 30 August 1979 is a leading Indian actress. She has starred in more than 50 films. Her debut Oriya film was Maa Goja Bayani and Bengali film was surya in 2004.
She was born and brought up in the capital city of Bhubaneswar, was inspired by her father, who was a film make-up man. Anu began her career as a child artist in "Badhu Nirupama" and later was spotted by the leading directors of Oriya Film Industry. She made her debut in "Maa Gojabayani" and impressed everyone with her spectacular performance.
Anu was born in Bhubaneswar to Oriya film editor Rabi Choudhury and Soudamini Choudhury. Rabi Chaudhury was a film make-up man and an editor, so she was quite familiar with film industry being a girl from film background. She graduated from R.D. Women's College, Bhubaneswar in home science before commencing a career as a film actress. Before coming to Oriya Film Industry she had never thought to be an actress. At her early age she had acted in two Oriya movies as child artist. Before being an actress she had given voice for many actresses in films in her infant age.
Career in Oriya Industry
Anu began her career in Oriya film as a child artist. She acted as child artist in two movies, Badhu Nirupama and Mamata Mage Mula. As child artist she had done very small roles in these two movies. Her first film as main lead actress was Maa Gojabayani which was a huge hit in 1998. In her 1st movie though there was no such big stars, but still with her effort she was eligible to compete with Rachana Banerjee in Ollywood during that period. She won praise for her acting in the film. For her first movie she got Odisha State Film Award for Best Actress for that movie in Chalachitra Jagat award. Since then, she has acted in a number of films, Biswaprakash. In Biswaprakash she acted with internationally acclaimed actress Nandita Das which movie is a part of Indian Panorama.
Then after she did movies like Mana Rahigala Tumari Thare, Maa-O-Mamata, Gare Sindura Dhare Luha. For Gare Sindura Dhare Luha movie she got Orissa State Film Awards as best actress. After that she continued to do many more movies. Anu got rush popularity in movie Rakhi Bandhili Mo Rakhiba Mana after which she became favorite of many directors, producers and viewers. After her movie Hari Bhai Harena she gave a new definition to Odisha Cinema. She also acted in Sashu Ghara Chalijibi which was produced by famous Rajshri Productions and co-starred Siddhanta Mahapatra.
Her first film in Bengali was Ram Lakshman but Surya was released first in 2004. Both films had Prosenjit Chatterjee in male lead. She has also acted in a Telugu movie Subha Bela directed by V.B. Ramana. Anu gave a super hit movie " Maa Gojabayani" at the entry of her into film industry.After that she gave a lot hit and super hit movie for Oriya film industry and became favorite of all directors. In her film career she has acted with many talented directors and costars. After her movie Hari Bhai harena she gave a new definition to orissa cinema. Her 1st Telugu movie "Subhavela" was a hit and that movie was a very controversial movie at that time. At the peak of her career she got married and after a very short time period, she had seven releases as lead actress in a single year 2007 out of which four were hits. Due to some personal issues she left Oriya industry for two years and back to industry after two years with two flop movies.But again she gave a hit number with " Pahili Raja" in which she had played a cop character which was very challenging and got many awards for that.
Career in South Industry
Anu Choudhury started her career with Telugu movie " Subhavela" which was into controversy in 2000. There was a rumor that the print was seized on day one, and everybody's wondering why it has been released in just a single theater, unusual for a Telugu release. But all said and done, this one is just a rip off of Runaway Bride, the Hollywood film starring Richard Gere and Julia Roberts. The Hollywood version did good business at the box office, but this Tollywood version was with a doubtful starter. But just after one week the movie got released in huge number of theaters and did very good business.
The movie revolves around a young woman, Satya, (Anu) who dumps her bridegroom at the altar, not once but four times. The reason - her best friend attempts suicide after marriage. This unusual behavior attracts the attention of journalist Surya (Vijay), who begins writing a serial version for his newspaper, which turns into a bestseller.
Then after Anu Choudhury continued to act in Muthyam and then " Manasu Telusuko " . But unfortunately she didn't get much success in south industry.
Career in Bengali Industry
Anu started her Bengali film career in 2004 with movie Surya opposite Prasenjit Chatterjee . The movie got huge success under the direction of Swapan Saha .Then she continued to be attached with Bengali film industry as one after another she got success with movies like Ram Laxman, Dadar Adesh, etc. She created a tremendous pairing with Prasenjit Chatterjee and Jishu Sengupta.
Her notable movies with Prasenjit Chatterjee are Surya, Dadar Adesh, Rajmaohal, Jamai Raja, Rajkumar etc. Jishu Sengupta had a great pairing with Anu in the movie Hangama, Abhimanyu and Mahaguru. She was also seen a very prominent character in Thikana Rajpath with a deglam role for which she had got many complements.Lastly she was seen in " Aami Aachi Sei Je Tomar " in 2011 and the movie didn't get much success. Over all she had a successful career in Bengali film industry.
Bollywood Debut and film breakthrough
Anu got break in a Hindi movie nirvana 13 directed by Jitin Rawat also starring Sandeep Kulkarni proposed to be released in 2011. Being an independent movie it could not released yet. Nirvana 13 is a story about a patients's cry for relief from agony and a nurse who is silently wishing for the same. The two have a conversation about their struggles with morality and helplessness and their constant quest for a way out. This provokes different perspectives of the pragmatic and spiritual aspects of life and death. Anu Choudhury is playing the character of Marium D'souza in the movie. Anu received best actress award for her 1st Hindi movie nirvana 13 in Los Angeles movie award. She was the only Indian actress selected for this award in 2011.
Social activism and commercials
Anu Choudhury has been a committed social activist, active in supporting child survival and fighting AIDS and injustice in real life. Anu has worked as brand ambassador for UNISEF, Lalchand jewellery, Kanchan Jewellery, Ruchi curry powder, Epari Sadashiv Jewellery etc. She has been brand ambassador for more than 20 commercials. She says, "Along with films I have been doing commercials for the last ten years and it's natural that the product manufacturers want us to endorse their brand since we have face value. And it's obvious that we won't do it for charity but then money is not everything." She has been brand ambassador for prestigious Emami edible oil. Anu is also working as brand ambassador for FAME (First Academy of Media and Entertainment)in Odisha. Anu Chaudhury, along with Ms Shabana Azmi, renowned actress and former Member of Parliament, noted Indian classical dancer Ms Shovan Narayan and rockstar Mr Subir Malik, member of the Parikrama band, were declared as brand ambassador for safe motherhood, champion and Youth Icon for Safe Motherhood, respectively.
Recently, Anu Choudhury is appointed as Brand ambassador for a public awareness campaign, "Bijuli Didi" on behalf of all the electric distribution utilities of the State, CESU, NESCO, WESCO and SOUTHCO, and all the franchisees working in the CESU area. The brand Bijuli Didi was unveiled at a function by Odisha Electricity Regulatory Commission (OERC) Chairman Satya Prakash Nanda.As part of the Bijuli Didi campaign, Anu will make people aware about simple facts that will help people to conserveelectricity, check power theft and pay bills on time.
On 1 November 2013 Anu Choudhury was declared to be part of TeachAIDS, is a nonprofit organization that develops HIV prevention education technology materials, based on an approach invented through research at Stanford University. On 21 November 2013 official launching of TeachAIDS of Oriya version was done. A teaser of the animated software, which features the caricatures and voices of actors Akash DasNayak, Anu Choudhury, Prashant Nanda and Odissi danseuse Aruna Mohanty, will be released online (www.teachaids.org) on 1 December to mark the occasion of World Aids Day.Anu said the "revolutionary product" would combat ignorance about HIV as it is likely to be introduced in schools and colleges from next year.A preview of the film was screened for the media here on Thursday.
|Badhu nirupama||Oriya||child artist|
|Mamata mage mula||Oriya||child artist|
|1998||Maa Gojabyani||Oriya||Chalachitra Jagat Award for Best Actress|
|1999||Biswaprakash||Oriya||with Nandita Das|
|2000||Mana rahigala tumari thare||Oriya||with Siddhant and Jyoti|
|2000||Maa O Mamata||Oriya|
|2001||Gare Sindura Dhare Luha||Oriya||Won state film award for Best Actress|
|2001||Samaya kheluchi chaka bhaunri||Oriya||with Sumeet Saigal|
|2002||Rakhi bandhili mo rakhiba mana||Oriya||Won state film award for Best Actress|
|2002||Pua Mora Jagata Jita||Oriya|
|2003||Mor sang chal||Chhatisgarh|
|2003||Rakata Kahiba Kia Kahara||Oriya||Won Best Actress in various film awards|
|2004||Rakhiba jadi se mariba kia||Oriya|
|2004||Omm Santi Omm||Oriya||Won state film award for Best Actress|
|2004||Hari Bhai Harena||Shibani||Oriya|
|2005||Sashughara Chalijibi||Sita||Oriya||Won state film award for Best Actress|
|2005||Topae Sindura Di Topa Luha||Oriya|
|2006||Babu I Love You||Oriya|
|2006||Prema Ritu Asila Re||Oriya|
|2007||Dhauli Express||Tila||Oriya||critically acclaimed|
|2007||Chaka Chaka Bhaunri||Oriya|
|2007||Tumaku Paruni Ta Bhuli||Oriya|
|2007||Lal Tuku Tuku Sadhaba Bahu||Oriya|
|2007||Samaya Hathare Dori||Oriya|
|2007||Sudu Tomar Janyo||Bengali|
|2008||Hasiba Puni Mo Suna Sansar||Oriya|
|2009||Tume Hi Sathi Mora||Shikha||Oriya|
|2011||Ami achi sei je tomar||Priya||Bengali|
|2011||Kemiti E Bandhana||Oriya||worked with Chandrachur Singh|
|2013||TeachAIDS||Voice (Female student)||Oriya||Animated movie to be released on 1 December World Aids Day|
|2014||Nirvana 13||Mariam Dsouza||Hindi|
|2014||Babloo Happy Hai||Deepa||Hindi||Nila Madhab Panda film|
Anu Chowdhury was adjudged the Best Actress for her performance in Sasughara Chalijibi at the 2005 Orissa State Film Awards ceremony held at Bhubaneswar on 30 May 2007. She won the best Actress Award in the 4th Cine India International Film Festival, Noida for her portrayal of a second generation refugee from East Bengal in the Kadambinee Media Pvt Ltd. productions Kathantara.
On 30 December 2007, Anu won the Best Actress Award at the "Chalachhitra Jagat Pratibha Samman - 2007" for her performance in the Oriya movie Lal Tuku Tuku Sadhaba Bahu. she is four time state award winner for best actress category. Anu again received best actress award for her 1st Hindi movie Nirvana 13 in Los Angeles movie award. She was the only Indian actress selected for this award in 2011.
Anu has received the glorious Orissa State Film Awards for Best Actress four times
- 2001 - Orissa State Film Awards, Gare Sindura Dhare Luha
- 2002 - Orissa State Film Awards, Rakhi Bandhili Mo Rakhiba Mana
- 2004 - Orissa State Film Awards, Omm Santi Omm
- 2005 - Orissa State Film Awards, Sashu Ghara Chalijibi
- 2006 - Best Actress award for Kathantara in 4th International Film Festival of India,Noida
- 2011 - Best Actress award for Nirvana 13 in Los Angeles Movie Award
- "Ollywood beauty Anu Choudhury’s divorce near, yet so far - See more at: http://www.odishatoday.com/viewnews.php?news_id=2049#sthash.3hnqEuYs.dpuf".
- "orissacinema:Anu Chowdhury". orissacinema.com. 18 June 2008. Archived from the original on 7 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- "oriya_film_industry". welcomeorissa.com. 18 June 2008. Archived from the original on 20 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- "Dream Pair : Heroine Hunt". The Telegraph. 18 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- "Anu choudhury biography".
- "Screen The Business Of Entertainment-Regional-Oriya-Profile". www.screenindia.com. Retrieved 2008-10-27.
- "Orissa News Online: Anu Choudhury - The Star of Orissa". www.orissatimes.net. Retrieved 2008-10-27.
- "Subhavela Review". 22 December 2000. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "Muthyam Review". 2 November 2001. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "Surya". 2 August 2004. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "Thikana Rajpath". 12 September 2010. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "Aami Aachi Sei Je Tomar". 24 September 2011. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "Anu Choudhury Starring in Nirvana 13". chalachitra.in. 21 May 2011. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "Odisha: anu choudhury in nirvana 13". Incredible Orissa. 11 March 2012. Retrieved 8 MAY 2013.
- "Odisha: Anu Choudhary in acclaimed director Nila Madhab Panda's new youth film". Orissa Diary. 22 October 2012. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "Nila Madhab Pandaâ€™s next film revolves around Delhi". Times of india. 29 December 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "Nila Madhav Panda is back with his next project". The Times Of India. Retrieved 9 May 2013.
- "Stars endorse brands with a message". The Times Of India. 13 March 2013. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Emami turns to local stars to promote edible oil brand". moneycontrol.com. 20 June 2011. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Deliver Now India". http://www.who.int/pmnch/en/. 20 April 2008. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Anu Choudhury turns ‘Bijuli Didi’". the pioneer/. 15 September 2013. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Bijuli Didi is here with power tips - State govt launches awareness campaign to conserve electricity". The Telegraph. 15 September 2013. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Bijuli Didi takes off". The Statesman. 14 September 2013. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Actress Anu Choudhury joins education efforts in odisha". 1 November 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Hush-hush topic gets a voice - Animated course on HIV education in Odia to be launched". the telegraph/. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Odia film on HIV". the times of india. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "`Maidens' sweep annual State film awards". The Hindu. 31 May 2007.
- "Kathantara". Kadambinee Media Pvt. Ltd.
- "Oriya Film Awards: Siddhant and Anu Choudhury get the Honours". Oriya Times. 31 December 2007.
- "Odisha: anu choudhury in nirvana 13". Incredible Orissa. 11 March 2012. Retrieved 8 MAY 2013.
- "Anu Choudhury - the Star of Orissa". Orissa Times. 11 December 2007.