Indian Composer Anu Malik
|Born||2 November 1960|
|Occupation(s)||Music director, singer|
|Instruments||Vocals , Harmonium, Keyboard, Tabla|
|Associated acts||Sunidhi Chauhan|
Anu Malik (born 2 November 1960), born Anwar Sardaar Malik, is an Indian music director and singer who primarily works in the Hindi film industry. Son of veteran music director Sardar Malek, Anu Malik made his debut as a music composer in 1977. In the 1990s he wrote hits for films like Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee, Baazigar, and Jaanam.Anu Malik trained in music under his guru- Pandit Ram Prasad Sharma and made his debut in Hindi films in the year 1977 with the film Hunterwali. He is a versatile music director and has composed music for over 350 different kinds of films.
The 2000s brought him the National Award for his music for J.P. Dutta's Refugee and the Filmfare Special Jury Award. He won the Filmfare Best Music Director Award for Main Hoon Na and Baazigar.He is a record six-time winner from a record of 42 nominations of the best music director which includes 14-time nominee for the Filmfare Award for Best Music Director
Malik has been judging the television phenomenon Indian Idol since its inception. He has rendered many of his own compositions like "Garam Chaye Ki Pyali," "Gori Gori," and the recent "Meri Jane Jigar.
- 1 Early years
- 2 Breakthrough
- 3 Recognition
- 4 Criticism
- 5 Plagiarism
- 6 Style of music
- 7 Collaborations
- 8 Television
- 9 Singer
- 10 Personal life
- 11 Awards and nominations
- 12 Discography
- 13 References
- 14 External links
Anu Malik made his debut in Hunterwali in 1977. He composed for famous films like Sohni Mahiwal (1984), Mard, Ganga Jamuna Saraswati and Jeete Hain Shaan Se. Other early films were Poonam, Ek Jaan Hain Hum, Mard, Maa, Maalamaal, Love Marriage, Aasman, Jaal, Allah Rakha, Mujrim.
He also sang songs like "Julie Julie Johnny ka dil tujh pe aiya julie", Jeete Hain Shaan Se with Kavita Krishnamurthy.
1993 was the breakthrough year for Anu Malik. His songs for Mahesh Bhatt’s Sir and Phir Teri Kahaani Yaad Aayee had their own niche following, but he achieved huge success with his music for Baazigar. All of its songs – be it ‘Yeh kaali kaali aankhen…’ or ‘Baazigar o baazigar…’ were some of the most popular songs of the year. Baazigar’s record break sales took Anu Malik straight into the A-league of Composers. In the next few years, Anu Malik continued giving many more chartbuster songs and sound-tracks. His music for Main Khiladi Tu Anari (1994) and Akele Hum Akele Tum (1995) was very popular. Later, he saw his peak when he got both acclaim and high sales for his music for Virasat (1997) and Border (1997), and his songs for Indra Kumar’s Ishq (1997) were huge hits. Two of his most under rated soundtracks were for Kareeb (1998) and Duplicate (1998). He kept producing hit sound-tracks like Jaanam Samjha Karo (1999), Baadshah (1999), Josh (2000), Refugee (2000), Har Dil Jo Pyaar karega (2000) and Fiza (2000). Year 2001 saw Anu Malik at his versatile best when 5 of his sound-tracks – Mujhe Kuch Kehna hai, Aks, Ajnabee, Yaadein and Asoka were among the top 20 film albums of the year. His guest composition ‘Ishq Kameena…’ for Shakti (2002) was one of the most popular songs of the year. Year 2003 again brought the Best out of Anu Malik. Where he gave popular songs in Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon, Munna Bhai M.B.B.S and Ishq Vishq, His music for LOC Kargil was appreciated by critics. He continued his success in 2004 when his music for Main Hoon Naa (2004), Fida (2004) and Murder (2004) topped all the charts. His guest composition "Jeene Ke Hain Char Din" for Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (2004) was also a hit chartbuster song. 2005 was a comparatively low year for him when he didn’t have any hit albums on his C.V. His only successful sound-track for next 2 years was for Jaan-e-mann (2006). Anu Malik’s music has crossed all barriers and transcended regtal from in films like, ‘Border’,’Viraasat’, ‘Baazigar’, ‘Fiza’, ‘Akele Hum Akele Tum’, ‘Filhaal’ and ‘China Gate’. For his sheer versatility, determination and a never say die spirit, Malik is quite matchless in the Hindi film industry.
Malik shot to fame in the 1990s with Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee in 1992, Baazigar, Jaanam, Sir, Tehelka, Chamatkar, Maa and the next step was the Filmfare award for Baazigar beating Laxmikant-Pyarelal for Khalnayak in 1994.
Meanwhile, with success and fame, he was also caught into controversy. He was blamed for copying tunes from other composer's songs.
|Song Name||Movie Name||Original Source|
|O Meri Neend Churane Wale||Chamatkar||When you're in love with a beautiful Woman (Dr Hook)|
|Bichchoo O Bichchoo||Chamatkar||I will follow him (Petula Clark)|
|Dole Dil Dole||Baazi||Theme From Come September (Bobby Darin)|
|Jawani Diwani||Chamatkar||Bahama Mama (Boney M)|
|Need Churayi Meri||Ishq||Sending All My Love (Tolga)|
|Neela Dupatta Peela Suit||Hameshaa||All I Wanna Say (Michael Jackson)|
|Love Hua||Jaanam Samjha Karo||Angelo (Brotherhood Of Man)|
|Aisa Zakhm Diya Hai||Akele Hum Akele Tum||Child In Time (Deep Purple)|
|Dil mera churaya kyon||Akele hum akele tum||Wham's Last Christmas|
|Raja ko Rani se Pyar ho gaya||Akele Hum Akele Tum||the Love theme - Godfather|
|Dil Le Le Lena||Auzaar||Macarena (Los Del Rio)|
|Dil Maka Dina||Dhaal||Macarena (Los Del Rio)|
|Aisa Milan||Hameshaa||The Phantom Of The Opera (Andrew Lloyd Webber)|
|Tera Gussa||Kareeb||The Happy Birthday Song|
|Tu Woh Tu Hai||Beqaabu||Theme from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly|
|Paagalpan Chha Gaya||Jaanam||And I Love Her (Beatles)|
|Teri Chaahat Ke Siva||Jaanam||El Condor Pasa (Simon & Garfunkel)|
|Maari Gayi Pyaar Mein||Jaanam||I Am Sixteen and My Favorite Things (The Sound Of Music)|
|Dole Dole Dil||Baazi||Come September (Theme)|
|Dheere Dheera Aap Mere||Baazi||Rafta Rafta (Mehdi Hassan)|
|Jaane Mujhe Kya Hua||Baazi||Fur Elise (Beethoven)|
|Karle Gunaah||Ugly aur Pagli||'Gasolina' by Daddy Yankee|
|Tu Waaqif Nahin||Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi||Fernando (ABBA)|
|Yeh Kali Kali Ankhen||Baazigar||The Cover Girls- Because of you(1988)|
|Sun Sun Sun Barsaat Ki Dhun||Sir||Listen To The Sound Of The Rain (Jose Feliciano)|
|Ladna Jhagadna||Duplicate||Slip And Slide (Laura Allen)|
|I Was Made For Loving You||Jaanam Samjha Karo||I Was Made For Loving You (Kiss)|
|Kaho na Kaho||Murder||Tamally Maak (Amr Diab)|
|In The Night No Control||Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi||Self Control (Laura Branigan)|
|Chakle Chakle||Deewane Huye Paagal||Turn Me On (Kevin Lyttle)|
|Jaana Jaane Jaana||Murder||Nishwo Korecho Amay (Miles)|
|Soldier - Title Song||Soldier||Cheri Cheri Lady (Modern Talking)|
|Hameshaa - Title Theme||Hameshaa||Jean Michel Jarre - Rendez-vous II|
Style of music
He is a versatile music director, producing music for various genres of films. He has written several hit songs for the Hindi (Bollywood) film music industry. In his career output he is noted for original melodies and instrumentation; it has been said Malik never recycles his songs' melodies: Every song is quite unique with respect to instrumental arrangements and vocal modalities used.
Anu Malik is especially known for use of tabla in his hit songs, like "Taal Pe Ja"' and "Mere Humsafar" from the film Refugee, "Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal" in Main Hoon Na, "Eli Re Eli" in Yaadein, and "Baazigar O Baazigar" from the film Baazigar.
He has made music for some of the above and Josh, Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, Fiza, Aks, Asoka, Filhaal and Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai in 2000 and 2001. The movie Baazigar received the Filmfare Award for Best Music Direction.
"The music of Asoka has a rhythm and life of its own as it recreates a heady mix of powerful sensuousness. The high point of 'San Sanana' is the interesting use of the mridang. Sensuality casts its spell in 'Raat Ka Nasha' as immensely engaging track. 'Roshni Se' is a rich composition, which includes some awesome Buddhist chanting and the intriguing vocal chemistry between Abhijeet and Alka Yagnik. 'O Re Kanchi' captures the earthy feel of Oriya music, in addition to some funky drumbeats and enthusiastic vocals. 'Aa Tayar Hoja' proves to be a fast-paced, upbeat track that promises to grow on you after a couple of hearings."
Malik's association with Alisha Chinai has been very successful, delivering major hits such as "Sexy Sexy" and "Ruk Ruk Ruk" from Vijaypath, "Chot Dil Pe Lagi" from Ishq Vishk and the songs from Love Story 2050.
His collaborations with famous Indian film director/producer J. P. Dutta has produces India with international hit recordings, including songs from Border in 1997, Refugee in 2000, LOC Kargil in 2003, and Umrao Jaan in 2006.
His collaborations with topmost playback singer Sadhana Sargam gives industry hits songs like Tere Darpe Sanam Chale Aaye from Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee, Dheere Dheere Aap Mere from the film Baazi, Humko Maloom Hai from the movie Jaaneman and many others. According to Anu Malik, Tere Darpe Sanam Chale Aaye by Sadhana Sargam is his personal favourite song and rendition.
Malik has worked with many prominent Indian playback singers including Kishore Kumar, Asha Bhonsle, Kumar Sanu, Udit Narayan, Abhijeet, Amit Kumar, Sonu Nigam, Alka Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Anuradha Paudwal, Sadhana Sargam, K S Chitra, Vinod Rathod, Shaan, K.K., Shreya Ghoshal, Sunidhi Chauhan, and others. During 80's he mostly worked with singers like Mohammad Aziz, Shabbir Kumar, Manhar Udhas, Suresh Wadkar, Nitin Mukesh & Anwar.
Kumar Sanu and Alka Yagnik rendered their voice in most of the hits composed by Anu Malik. This trio collaborated on films such as Sir, Phool Aur Angaar, Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee, Vijaypath, Baazigar, Main Khiladi Tu Anari, Imtihaan, Chamatkar, Gambler, Akele Hum Akele Tum, Duplicate, Kareeb, Soldier, Aarzoo and Ishq Vishk and Fida. Sanu and Yagnik were regular singers for Anu Malik and Malik created many hit songs individually with Sanu like "Aaine Ke Sau Tukde" from Maa (1991) and the superhit blockbuster "Yeh Kaali Kaali Aankhen" from Baazigar (1993) (Malik sang the rap part of the song) among others. It was Sanu's first Western song.
He has worked with noted Indian singer and fellow Indian Idol judge Sonu Nigam, whom he featured in the song "Ke Ghar Kab Aaoge from the film Bordear in 1997, putting Nigam in the limelight where he also received award nominations. The two have since continued to collaborate, with Malik providing Sonu Nigam with a variety of songs including hits like "Main Hoon Na" and Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal"' from the film Main Hoon Na, for which the singer received several awards. They also collaborated on music for films like Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyo, Border, Fiza, Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, Humko Deewana Kar Gaye, Jaan-E-Mann, LOC: Kargil, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi, and Refugee.
Malik's song "Chamma Chamma" from China Gate was also used in the U.S. (Hollywood) blockbuster film Moulin Rouge starring Nicole Kidman. "Chunari Chunari" from Biwi No.1 was also used in the hit film Monsoon Wedding.
Malik remained one of the judges on the TV show Indian Idol throughout each season till it ended. In the first two seasons, he was accompanied by Sonu Nigam and Farah Khan, and in the third by Alisha Chinai, Udit Narayan and Javed Akhtar. He was a judge in the first Asian Idol held in Indonesia, representing Indian Idol. He appeared on Indian Idol 4 with Sonali Bendre, Kailash Kher and Javed Akhtar. After that he appeared as a judge with Sunidhi Chauhan and Salim Merchant in Indian Idol 5.
Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega
Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega is a variety entertainment reality show that airs on Sony Entertainment Television (India) on weekdays. It premiered on 25 May 2009 with other new shows, as part of a major revamp by Sony TV. The first season was hosted by Mona Singh and Vishal Malhotra; Farah Khan and Malik were the judges. All the episodes were shot in Sony TV's Mumbai studio India.
Although he is not a mainstream singer, Malik does playback singing for his compositions. Written off as a singer in his early days ("Julie Julie," for instance), he continues to sing his own compositions, with songs like "Ek Garam Chaye ki Pyali" from the movie Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, "Gori Gori" in Main Hoon Na or the recent "Meri Jane Jigar" in Deewane Huye Paagal. Among his most famous renditions are "Oonchi hai building" and "East or West India is the best" from the movie Judwaa and the rap part of "Yeh Kaali Kaali Aankhen" of Baazigar.
While he sings entire songs for some movies, especially those starring Sunil Shetty, Paresh Rawal, Akshay Kumar and even Shahid Kapoor (in Deewane Huye Paagal he sang almost every song), very often one can hear him in the chorus, like in "Mehbooba Mehbooba" in the film Ajnabee, "Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal" for Main Hoon Na, etc.
He is known for his singing for his private albums like Dekho barish ho rahi hai, Tera Chehra, Dhua dhua and an English album, Eyes.
Awards and nominations
Anu Malik is a record six-time winner from a record of 42 nominations of the best music director which includes 14-time nominee for the Filmfare Award for Best Music Director
|2001||Refugee||Best Music Direction||Won|
- Filmfare Awards
- 1994 - Winner, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Baazigar
- 2001 - Winner, Filmfare Special Award - Refugee
- 2005 - Winner, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Main Hoon Na
- 1985 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Sohni Mahiwal (1984)
- 1995 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Main Khiladi Tu Anari
- 1996 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Akele Hum Akele Tum
- 1998 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Virasat (1997 film)
- 1998 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Border
- 1999 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Soldier
- 2000 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Biwi No.1
- 2000 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Haseena Maan Jaayegi
- 2001 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Josh
- 2001 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award- Fiza
- 2002 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai
- 2002 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Aśoka (2001 film)
- 2004 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - LOC: Kargil
- 2005 - Nominated, Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Murder
- Zee Cine Awards
- 2005 - Winner, Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Main Hoon Na
- 1998 - Nominated- Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Border
- 1999 - Nominated- Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Soldier
- 2000 - Nominated- Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director- Haseena Maan Jaayegi
- 2000 - Nominated- Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Biwi No.1
- 2001 - Nominated- Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Refugee
- 2001 - Nominated- Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Fiza
- 2002 - Nominated- Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Asoka
- 2004 - Nominated- Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - LOC: Kargil
- Star Screen Awards
- 2005 - Winner, Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Main Hoon Na
- 2004 - Winner, Star Screen Award Special Tribute - Artist of the decade
- 1995 - Nominated,Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Main Khiladi Tu Anari
- 1996 - Nominated,Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Akele Hum Akele Tum
- 1998 - Nominated,Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Border
- 1999 - Nominated,Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Soldier
- 2000 - Nominated,Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Haseena Maan Jaayegi
- 2000 - Nominated,Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Biwi No.1
- 2001 - Nominated,Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Refugee (2000 film)|Refugee
- 2001 - Nominated,Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Fiza
- 2002 - Nominated,Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Asoka (2001 film)|Asoka
- 2004 - Nominated,Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - LOC: Kargil
- 2004 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.
- 2005 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
- 2007 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Jaan-E-Mann
Anu Malik has highest nominations(7 nominations) without a win
- 2005 - Nominated, IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Murder (film)|Murder
- 2005 - Nominated,IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Main Hoon Na
- 2004 - Nominated,IIFA Award for Best Music Director - LOC Kargil
- 2004 - Nominated,IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.
- 2002 - Nominated,IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai
- 2001 - Nominated,IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Fiza
- 2001 - Nominated,IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Josh (2000 film)|Josh
- 2005 - Winner,Popular Award - Best Music Director for Main Hoon Na (2004)
- 2010 - Winner,Asha Bhosle Award - Outstanding Contribution In Music
- 2010 - Winner,Indian Telly Awards - Best reality show judge
- 2014 - Winner,Giants International Awards - lifetime achievement in Music
- "Iranian song 'Soosan Khanoom': Is Agent Vinod's 'Pyaar Ki Pungi' a copy?- Bollywood- Movies News-IBNLive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Waqt". BBC Shropshire. February 2005.
- Khubchandani, Lata (27 December 2006). "My Fundays". The Telegraph (Calcutta, India).
- "rediff.com, Movies: The music review of Asoka". Rediff.com. 2001-09-19. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anu Malik.|