Indian Composer Anu Malik
|Born||2 November 1960|
|Occupations||Music director, singer|
|Instruments||vocals , harmonium, keyboard|
Anu Malik (born 2 November 1960), born Anwar Sardaar Malik, is a music director in the Hindi film industry. Son of veteran music director Sardar Malek, Anu Malik made his debut as a music composer in 1977. In the 90s Anu copmosed hits for films like Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee, Baazigar and Jaanam.
The 2000s saw him winning the National Award for his music for J.P. Dutta's Refugee and the Filmfare Special Jury Award for his outstanding music. He won the Filmfare Best Music Director Award for Main Hoon Na and Baazigar. He was nominated 14 times for the Filmfare Award for Best Music Director.
Malik has been judging the television phenomenon Indian Idol for the last five seasons and continues to be a member of the jury for the sixth season as well. He has rendered many of his own compositions like 'Garam Chaye Ki Pyali', 'Gori Gori' and the recent 'Meri Jane Jigar'.
- 1 Early years
- 2 Recognition
- 3 Style of music
- 4 Collaborations
- 5 Television
- 6 Singer
- 7 Personal life
- 8 Awards
- 9 Nominations
- 10 Discography
- 11 Plagiarism
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Anwar "Anu" Malik is the son of veteran composer Sardar Malik, brother of Abu Malik and Daboo Malik. He made his debut in Hunterwali in 1977. He composed for famous films like Sohni Mahiwal (1984), Mard, Ganga Jamuna Saraswathi and Jeete Hain Shaan Se. He got recognition for them, but throughout the 1980s he could not get much of the work as there were so many established music directors like R.D. Burman, Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Kalyanji-Anandji and Bappi Lahiri. One of the only producers that always returned to him were FC Mehra's Eagle Films. Other early films were Poonam, Ek Jaan Hain Hum, Mard, Maa, Maalamaal, Love Marriage, Aasman, Jaal, Allah Rakha, Mujrim.
He has a Hindi poetry school in Karol Bagh, New Delhi.
Malik shot to fame in the 1990s with Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee in 1992, Baazigar, Jaanam, Sir, Tehelka, Chamatkar, Maa and the next step was the Filmfare award for Baazigar beating Laxmikant-Pyarelal for Khalnayak in 1994.
Style of music
He is a versatile music director, giving music to different kinds of films. He has created many hit tunes for the Hindi music industry. In his career he never reused his songs' tuning manner: Every song is very different on the basis of instrument arrangement and vocal tuning format.
He is specially known for his use of tabla in some of his hit songs like 'Taal Pe Jab' and 'Mere Humsafar' from the movie Refugee, 'Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal' of Main Hoon Na, 'Eli Re Eli' of Yaadein and 'Baazigar O Baazigar' of Baazigar.
He has made music for some of the above and Josh, Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, Fiza, Aks, Asoka, Filhaal and Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai in 2000 and 2001. The movie Baazigar received the Filmfare Award for Best Music Direction.
"The music of Asoka has a rhythm and life of its own as it recreates a heady mix of powerful sensuousness. The high point of 'San Sanana' is the interesting use of the mridang. Sensuality casts its spell in 'Raat Ka Nasha' as immensely engaging track. 'Roshni Se' is a rich composition, which includes some awesome Buddhist chanting and the intriguing vocal chemistry between Abhijeet and Alka Yagnik. 'O Re Kanchi' captures the earthy feel of Oriya music, in addition to some funky drumbeats and enthusiastic vocals. 'Aa Tayar Hoja' proves to be a fast-paced, upbeat track that promises to grow on you after a couple of hearings."
Malik has worked with playback singers including Kishore Kumar, Asha Bhonsle, Kumar Sanu, Udit Narayan, K S Chitra, Alka Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Anuradha Paudwal, Shaan, Abhijeet, Sonu Nigam, K.K., Shreya Ghoshal, Sunidhi Chauhan and many more singers.
Kumar Sanu and Alka Yagnik rendered their voice in most of the hits composed by Anu Malik. This trio collaborated on films such as Sir, Phool Aur Angaar, Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee, Vijaypath, Baazigar, Main Khiladi Tu Anari, Imtihaan, Chamatkar, Gambler, Akele Hum Akele Tum, Duplicate, Kareeb, Soldier, Aarzoo and Ishq Vishk.
He collaborated with singer Sonu Nigam. He gave the singer a big break with the song 'Ke Ghar Kab Aaoge' in the film Border in 1997, which put Nigam in the limelight and earned him award nominations. Their collaboration has continued since, with Anu Malik providing Sonu Nigam with a variety of songs, including hits like 'Main Hoon Na' and Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal' in the film Main Hoon Na, which earned the singer several awards. They have worked together in films, including Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyo, Border, Fiza, Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, Humko Deewana Kar Gaye, Jaan-E-Mann, LOC: Kargil, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi and Refugee.
Malik remained one of the judges on the TV show Indian Idol throughout each season till it ended. In the first two seasons, he was accompanied by Sonu Nigam and Farah Khan, and in the third by Alisha Chinai, Udit Narayan and Javed Akhtar. He was a judge in the first Asian Idol held in Indonesia, representing Indian Idol. He appeared on Indian Idol 4 with Sonali Bendre, Kailash Kher and Javed Akhtar. After that he appeared as a judge with Sunidhi Chauhan and Salim Merchant in Indian Idol 5.
Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega
Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega is a variety entertainment reality show that airs on Sony Entertainment Television (India) on weekdays. It premiered on 25 May 2009 with other new shows, as part of a major revamp by Sony TV. The first season was hosted by Mona Singh and Vishal Malhotra; Farah Khan and Malik were the judges. All the episodes were shot in Sony TV's Mumbai studio.
Although he is not a mainstream singer, Malik does playback singing for his compositions. Written off as a singer in his early days ("Julie Julie," for instance), he continues to sing his own compositions, with songs like "Ek Garam Chaye ki Pyali" from the movie Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, "Gori Gori" in Main Hoon Na or the recent "Meri Jane Jigar" in Deewane Huye Paagal. Among his most famous renditions are "Oonchi hai building" and "East or West India is the best" from the movie Judwaa and the rap part of "Yeh Kaali Kaali Aankhen" of Baazigar.
While he sings entire songs for some movies, especially those starring Sunil Shetty, Paresh Rawal, Akshay Kumar and even Shahid Kapoor (in Deewane Huye Paagal he sang almost every song), very often one can hear him in the chorus, like in "Mehbooba Mehbooba" in the film Ajnabee, "Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal" for Main Hoon Na, etc.
He is known for his singing for his private albums like Dekho barish ho rahi hai, Tera Chehra, Dhua dhua and an English album, Eyes.
Music Director Anu (Anwar) Malik is married to anju. They have two daughters, one of whom is named Anmol Malik, who is known for her song 'Talli' from the movie Ugly Aur Pagli. His younger brother Daboo Malik is married to Jyoti and has two sons, Amal and Arman.[]
Malik has won several awards during his music career including three Filmfare Awards, one Star Screen Award, a Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director, National Film Award for Best Music Direction and many others.
- 1994 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Baazigar
- 2000 - Filmfare Special Jury Award - Refugee
- 2005 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Main Hoon Na
- 2005 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Main Hoon Na
- 2005 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Main Hoon Na
International Indian Film Academy Awards
- 2005 - IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Murder
- 2005 - IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Main Hoon Na
- 2001 - IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Fiza
- 2001 - IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Josh
- 1985 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Sohni Mahiwal (1984)
- 1996 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Akele Hum Akele Tum
- 1998 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Border
- 1999 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Soldier
- 2000 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Haseena Maan Jaayegi
- 2001 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Josh
- 2001 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Fiza
- 2002 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai
- 2004 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - LOC: Kargil
- 2005 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Murder
Star Screen Award for Best Music Director
- 2000 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Biwi No.1
- 2001 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Refugee
- 2001 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Fiza
- 2002 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Asoka
- 2004 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - LOC: Kargil
- 2005 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
- 2007 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Jaan-E-Mann
Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director
- 2000 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Biwi No.1
- 2001 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Refugee
- 2001 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Fiza
- 2002 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Asoka
- 2004 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - LOC: Kargil
|Song Name||Movie Name||Original Source|
|Need Churayi Meri||Ishq||Sending All My Love (Tolga)|
|Neela Dupatta Peela Suit||Hameshaa||All I Wanna Say (Michael Jackson)|
|Love Hua||Jaanam Samjha Karo||Angelo (Brotherhood Of Man)|
|Aisa Zakhm Diya Hai||Akele Hum Akele Tum||Child In Time (Deep Purple)|
|Dil mera churaya kyon||Akele hum akele tum||Wham's Last Christmas|
|Raja ko Rani se Pyar ho gaya||Akele Hum Akele Tum||the Love theme - Godfather|
|Dil Le Le Lena||Auzaar||Macarena (Los Del Rio)|
|Dil Maka Dina||Dhaal||Macarena (Los Del Rio)|
|Aisa Milan||Hameshaa||The Phantom Of The Opera (Andrew Lloyd Webber)|
|Jaane Mujhe Kya Hua||Baazi||Fur Elise (Beethoven)|
|Tera Gussa||Kareeb||The Happy Birthday Song|
|Tu Woh Tu Hai||Beqaabu||Theme from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly|
|Paagalpan Chha Gaya||Jaanam||And I Love Her (Beatles)|
|Teri Chaahat Ke Siva||Jaanam||El Condor Pasa (Simon & Garfunkel)|
|Maari Gayi Pyaar Mein||Jaanam||I Am Sixteen and My Favorite Things (The Sound Of Music)|
|Dole Dole Dil||Baazi||Come September (Theme)|
|Karle Gunaah||Ugly aur Pagli||'Gasolina' by Daddy Yankee|
|Tu Waaqif Nahin||Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi||Fernando (ABBA)|
|Yeh Kali Kali Ankhen||Baazigar||The Cover Girls- Because of you(1988)|
|Sun Sun Sun Barsaat Ki Dhun||Sir||Listen To The Sound Of The Rain (Jose Feliciano)|
|Ladna Jhagadna||Duplicate||Slip And Slide (Laura Allen)|
|I Was Made For Loving You||Jaanam Samjha Karo||I Was Made For Loving You (Kiss)|
|Kaho na Kaho||Murder||Tamally Maak (Amr Diab)|
|In The Night No Control||Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi||Self Control (Laura Branigan)|
|Chakle Chakle||Deewane Huye Paagal||Turn Me On (Kevin Lyttle)|
|Jaana Jaane Jaana||Murder||Nishwo Korecho Amay (Miles)|
- "Waqt". BBC Shropshire. February 2005.
- Khubchandani, Lata (27 December 2006). "My Fundays". The Telegraph (Calcutta, India).
- "rediff.com, Movies: The music review of Asoka". Rediff.com. 2001-09-19. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Name (required) (9 October 2006). "Anmol Malik « So little time... so little to do". Brainwave.wordpress.com. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- http://umain30.com/bollywood-tops/ Bollywood Top
- "Iranian song 'Soosan Khanoom': Is Agent Vinod's 'Pyaar Ki Pungi' a copy?- Bollywood- Movies News-IBNLive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anu Malik.|