||This article may contain wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (September 2011)|
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
Indian Composer Anu Malik
|Born||2 November 1960|
|Occupations||Music Director, Singer|
The 2000s saw him winning the National Award for his music for J.P. Dutta's Refugee and the Filmfare Special Jury Award for his outstanding music. He won the Filmfare Best Music Director Award for Main Hoon Na and Baazigar. He was nominated 14 times for the Filmfare Award for Best Music Director.
Malik has been judging the television phenomenon Indian Idol for the last five seasons and continues to be a member of the jury for the sixth season as well. He has rendered many of his own compositions like 'Garam Chaye Ki Pyali', 'Gori Gori' and the recent 'Meri Jane Jigar'.
Early years 
Anu Malik is the son of veteran composer Sardar Malik, brother of Abu Malik and Daboo Malik. He made his debut in Hunterwali in 1977. He composed for famous films like Sohni Mahiwal (1984), Mard, Ganga Jamuna Saraswathi and Jeete Hain Shaan Se got recognition for them, but throughout the 1980s he could not get much of the work as there were so many established music directors like R.D. Burman, Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Kalyanji-Anandji and Bappi Lahiri. One of the only producers that always returned to him were FC Mehra's Eagle Films. Other early films were: Poonam, Ek Jaan Hain Hum, Mard, Maa, Maalamaal, Love Marriage, Aasman, Jaal, Allah Rakha, Mujrim. He also has a Hindi poetry school in Karol Bagh, New Delhi.
Malik shot to fame in the 1990s with Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee in 1992, Baazigar, Jaanam, Sir, Tehelka, Chamatkar, Maa and the next step was the Filmfare award for Baazigar beating Laxmikant-Pyarelal for Khalnayak in 1994.
Style of music 
He is a versatile music director, giving music to different kinds of films. He has created many hit tunes for the Hindi music industry. In his great music career he never reused his songs' tuning manner as every song is very different from each other on the basis of instrument arrangement and vocal tuning format.
He is specially known for his incredible use of tabla in some of his hit songs like 'Taal Pe Jab' and 'Mere Humsafar' from the movie Refugee, 'Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal' of Main Hoon Na, 'Eli Re Eli' of Yaadein and 'Baazigar O Baazigar' of Baazigar.
He has made music for some of the above and Josh, Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, Fiza, Aks, Asoka, Filhaal and Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai in just 2000 and 2001. The movie Baazigar received the Filmfare Award for Best Music Direction.
"The music of Asoka has a rhythm and life of its own as it recreates a heady mix of powerful sensuousness. The high point of 'San Sanana' is the interesting use of the mridang. Sensuality casts its spell in 'Raat Ka Nasha' as immensely engaging track. 'Roshni Se' is a rich composition, which includes some awesome Buddhist chanting and the intriguing vocal chemistry between Abhijeet and Alka Yagnik. 'O Re Kanchi' captures the earthy feel of Oriya music, in addition to some funky drumbeats and enthusiastic vocals. 'Aa Tayar Hoja' proves to be a fast-paced, upbeat track that promises to grow on you after a couple of hearings."
Malik has worked with several playback singers including Kumar Sanu, Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Anuradha Paudwal, Shaan, Abhijeet, Sonu Nigam, K.K., Sunidhi Chauhan and many more.
Kumar Sanu and Alka Yagnik rendered their voice in most of the hits composed by Anu Malik. This trio collaborated on films such as Sir, Phool Aur Angaar, Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee, Vijaypath, Baazigar, Main Khiladi Tu Anari, Imtihaan, Chamatkar, Gambler, Akele Hum Akele Tum, Duplicate, Kareeb, Soldier, Aarzoo and Ishq Vishk.
He collaborated with singer Sonu Nigam. He gave the singer a big break with the song 'Ke Ghar Kab Aaoge' in the film Border in 1997, which put the singer in the limelight and earned him several award nominations. Their collaboration has continued since, with Anu Malik providing Sonu Nigam with a variety of songs, including hits like 'Main Hoon Na' and umse Milke Dilka Jo Haal' in the film Main Hoon Na, which earned the singer several awards again. They have worked together in several films, including Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyo, Border, Fiza, Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, Humko Deewana Kar Gaye, Jaan-E-Mann, LOC: Kargil, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi and Refugee.
Indian Idol 
Malik remained one of the judges on the TV show Indian Idol throughout each season till it ended. In the first two seasons, he was accompanied by Sonu Nigam and Farah Khan, and in the third by Alisha Chinai, Udit Narayan and Javed Akhtar. He was a judge in the first Asian Idol held in Indonesia, representing Indian Idol. He appeared on Indian Idol 4 with Sonali Bendre, Kailash Kher and Javed Akhtar. After that he appeared as a judge with Sunidhi Chauhan and Salim Merchant in Indian Idol 5.
Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega 
Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega is a variety entertainment reality show that airs on Sony Entertainment Television (India) on weekdays. It premiered on 25 May 2009 along with a couple of other new shows, as part of a major revamp by Sony TV. The first season of the show was hosted by Mona Singh and Vishal Malhotra, and Farah Khan and Malik were the judges. All the episodes were shot in Sony TV's Mumbai studio.
Asian Idol 
Although he is not a mainstream singer, Malik does playback singing for his compositions. Written off as a singer in his early days ("Julie Julie," for instance), he continues to sing his own compositions, with songs like "Ek Garam Chaye ki Pyali" from the movie Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, "Gori Gori" in Main Hoon Na or the recent "Meri Jane Jigar" in the film Deewane Huye Paagal. Among his most famous renditions are "Oonchi hai building" and "East or West India is the best" from the movie Judwaa and the rap part of "Yeh Kaali Kaali Aankhen" of Baazigar.
While he sings entire songs for some movies, especially those starring Sunil Shetty, Paresh Rawal, Akshay Kumar and even Shahid Kapoor (in Deewane Huye Paagal he sang almost every song), very often one can hear him in the chorus, like in "Mehbooba Mehbooba" in the film Ajnabee, "Tumse Milke Dilka Jo Haal" for the film Main Hoon Na, etc.
He is known for his singing for his private albums like Dekho barish ho rahi hai, Tera Chehra, Dhua dhua and an English album, Eyes.
Malik has won several awards during his music career including three Filmfare Awards, one Star Screen Award, a Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director, National Film Award for Best Music Direction and many others.
- 1994 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Baazigar
- 2000 - Filmfare Special Jury Award - Refugee
- 2005 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Main Hoon Na
- 2005 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Main Hoon Na
- 2005 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Main Hoon Na
- 2001 - National Film Award for Best Music Direction - Refugee
International Indian Film Academy Awards 
- 2005 - IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Murder
- 2005 - IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Main Hoon Na
- 2001 - IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Fiza
- 2001 - IIFA Award for Best Music Director - Josh
Filmfare Awards 
- 1985 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Sohni Mahiwal (1984)
- 1996 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Akele Hum Akele Tum
- 1998 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Border
- 1999 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Soldier
- 2000 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Biwi No.1
- 2000 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Haseena Maan Jaayegi
- 2001 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Josh
- 2001 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Fiza
- 2002 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai
- 2004 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - LOC: Kargil
- 2005 - Filmfare Best Music Director Award - Murder
Star Screen Award for Best Music Director 
- 2000 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Biwi No.1
- 2001 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Refugee
- 2001 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Fiza
- 2002 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Asoka
- 2004 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - LOC: Kargil
- 2005 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
- 2007 - Star Screen Award for Best Music Director - Jaan-E-Mann
Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director 
- 2000 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Biwi No.1
- 2001 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Refugee
- 2001 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Fiza
- 2002 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - Asoka
- 2004 - Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director - LOC: Kargil
Claims of plagiarism 
- "Waqt". BBC Shropshire. February 2005.
- Khubchandani, Lata (27 December 2006). "My Fundays". The Telegraph (Calcutta, India).
- "rediff.com, Movies:The music review of Asoka". Rediff.com. 2001-09-19. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Name (required) (9 October 2006). "Anmol Malik « So little time... so little to do". Brainwave.wordpress.com. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "My fans miss my songs: Anu Malik". The Times Of India. 16 May 2012.
- "Iranian song 'Soosan Khanoom': Is Agent Vinod's 'Pyaar Ki Pungi' a copy?- Bollywood- Movies News-IBNLive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.