Bosco Seva Kendra
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
|Bosco Seva Kendra|
|Motto||Touching lives for a better future.|
|Type||Development Office of the Salesian Province of Hyderabad. Registered in 1993 under the Societies Registration Act.|
|President||Rev. Fr. M. Noel|
|Director||Fr. B. Sudhakar|
|Location||Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Data as of May 2008|
Bosco Seva Kendra (BSK) is the Development Office of the Salesian Province of St. Joseph, Hyderabad.
BSK with its motto Touching Lives for a Better Future intends to work with professional competence and collaborate with public and private donor agencies, trusts and foundations, to provide logistic and professional support to the various initiatives of Don Bosco Institutions and offices in Andhra Pradesh.
Salesians of Don Bosco commenced their services in Andhra Pradesh in 1964 at Guntur with a technical school and press entrusted to them by the Catholic diocese of Guntur. Today it has 30 institutions rendering services throughout Andhra Pradesh.
Bosco Seva Kendra was launched by the Province of St. Joseph, Hyderabad soon after its erection in 1992 (earlier, Andhra Pradesh fell under the Salesian Province of Bangalore) and officially registered on February 11, 1993.
Vision and mission
The Province envisions Bosco Seva Kendra as a developmental organization that will contribute towards the emancipation and empowerment of the rural poor of Andhra Pradesh by assisting them with the formation of sustainable, needs-based, participative projects with effective implementation, monitoring and evaluation based on Christian principles.
BSK hopes to achieve its vision by guiding communities to formulate sustainable, needs-based and participative projects and to act as liaison between funding agencies and communities.
- Community-based development programmes for poverty eradication, long-term sustainable development, skills training and empowerment of women and communities
- Regular school enrollment of all children, giving priority to continuing education, re-enrollment of dropouts, and non-formal education for working children
- Eradication of bonded and child labour
- Rehabilitation of street and working children, as well as dropouts
- Vocational training for children and youth
- Career guidance and job placement services
- Camps and training programmes for children, youth, social workers and staff
- Health care programmes for women and children
- Lobbying and liaison with departments and governments
- Formation and organization of self help groups for women
- Micro credit financing
- Free legal aid
- Raising awareness through street theatre, puppetry and folk arts
- Networking with other NGO's
- NGO's training
Ongoing and completed programmes
- Making clean water and sanitation available to the poor tsunami victims living in 12 villages of the Prakasam District, Andhra Pradesh, with assistance from Bonn, Germany
- Creating a tsunami education programme (Starting of Anuragam Bridge Badi in 40 villages of Nellore, Prakasam, Krishna and East Godavari Districts) with the participation of Salesian Missions and Jugend Dritte Welt.
- Medical camps in East Godavari District through the Christian Medical Centre, Pithapuram, medical insurance programme at Kothapatnam, and Vetapalam mandals of Prakasam district
- Career guidance and job placement cells (DHISHA) at Hyderabad and Vijayawada through MISEREOR, Germany
- PROGRAMME PROJECT with the support of DMOS-COMIDE, Belgium, an international agency, to reach out to 5 community based organizations, 5 technical institutions and 3 career guidance and job-placement centers.
BSK is headed by a Director who is reportable to the Development Commission of the Salesian Province of Hyderabad.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2010)|
The Development Commission consists of the following members:
- Fr. Noel Maddhichetty, President (Provincial)
- Fr. Bellamkonda Sudhakar, Commission Delegate, Executive Director, Secretary
- Fr. Thekkekara Antony, Member
- Fr. Thomas Pallithanam, Member
- Fr. Salibindla Bala Showry, Member
- Fr. T. V. Thomas, Member
- Fr. M. S. Michael, Member
- The Christian Medical Centre, Pithapuram is a participating hospital under the Council of Christian Hospitals.
- Further reading