Sharma at NDTV's "Our Girl Our Pride" fundraiser, 2013
1 May 1988 |
Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh, India
Anushka Sharma (pronounced [əˈnʊʂkaː ˈʃərmaː]; born 1 May 1988) is an Indian film actress, producer and former model. In 2008, she was signed by Aditya Chopra for a three-film contract with Yash Raj Films and consequently made her acting debut in Chopra's Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi. She later received critical acclaim for her role as an ambitious wedding planner in the 2010 romantic comedy Band Baaja Baaraat. Both films earned her Best Actress nominations at the Filmfare Awards. Sharma later gathered critical appreciation for her performance in the 2012 romantic drama Jab Tak Hai Jaan, which earned her the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress. Due to these prime achievements, Sharma has often been noted as one of the most promising contemporary actresses of Hindi cinema.
Early life and background
Anushka Sharma was born on 1 May 1988 in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh, India to Colonel Ajay Kumar Sharma, an army officer, and Ashima Sharma, a housewife. Her father is from Uttar Pradesh, while her mother is a Garhwali. Sharma grew up in Bangalore. She has an elder brother named Karnesh, who is in the Merchant Navy. She studied in Army School and graduated with specialization in arts from Mount Carmel College, Bangalore. She later moved to Mumbai to further pursue her modelling career, where she currently resides.
2007–10: Early work and breakthrough
Sharma says she originally wished to make it big in the modeling world but had no strong aspirations for films. She began her modeling career at the Lakme Fashion Week as a model for Wendell Rodricks's Les Vamps Show and was picked to be Rodricks's finale model at the Spring Summer '07 Collection. Since then she has done campaigns for Silk & Shine, Whisper, Nathella Jewelry and Fiat Palio.
Her first acting role was in Aditya Chopra's Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (2008) opposite Shahrukh Khan. Her performance was appreciated with film critic Taran Adarsh stating, "Anushka looks the character and surprises you with a confident performance. It's no small achievement to share screen space with an actor of the caliber of SRK and Anushka manages it very well from start to end." The film received positive reviews and was declared a blockbuster, and had been concluded as the second-highest grossing film of all-time to that point by the end of the year.
Her second film, Badmaash Company, also under Yash Raj Films, was released on 7 May 2010. While Adarsh added, "Anushka is a revelation. She looks stunning, her performance is livewire and the chemistry with Shahid is electrifying."
In 2010, Sharma completed her three-film contract with Yash Raj Films, starring in Band Baaja Baaraat, a romantic comedy directed by Maneesh Sharma and co-starring debutant Ranveer Singh. She played a middle-class Delhi-Punjabi girl who goes on to launch her own independent business of wedding planning and later falls for her partner. In preparation for the part, Sharma was required to master the dialect of a young Punjabi woman from Delhi. She cited it as the toughest part of her role, describing the way the lead characters in the film interact as "crude but cute", and calling for her to "talk fast, sometimes mix words and even omit words completely". Prior to its release, she referred to it as her "best film till date". Some pundits, however, had expressed doubts about the film's prospects to leave a mark, citing the middling response to Yash Raj Films' last few productions, the lack of a male star, and claiming that by then Sharma was an "almost-forgotten" actress.
Band Baaja Baaraat was released on 10 December 2010 to positive reviews and went on to become a sleeper hit. Box Office India website reported that the film grossed approximately 214.4 million after five weeks, making it a moderate box office success. Sharma's performance was praised by critics, many of whom called it her best work up to that point. Taran Adarsh described her as "truly wonderful," noting that it is "the first time in her 3-film career, a film rests mainly on Anushka's shoulders, and she handles the responsibility so well." For her work in the film, Sharma received her second nomination for the Filmfare Award for Best Actress and earned several awards and nominations at different award ceremonies. It has often been noted that the film has acted as a major career move for the actress, as it brought her much recognition.
2011–present: Recent work
Sharma's first venture outside the Yash Raj banner was Patiala House directed by Nikhil Advani and co-starring Akshay Kumar. Patiala House was released on 11 February 2011. Despite the film's lukewarm performance at the box office, Sharma received positive reviews. Nikhat Kazmi of The Times of India wrote, "Anushka Sharma’s vivacity may have an after taste of her bubbling Band Baaja Baraat act but her passage from Janakpuri’s dhinchak girl to Southall’s siren is sweet and smooth. Watch out for the girl; she’s truly on a roll."
In December 2011, she re-united with her Band Baaja Baarat team of Ranveer Singh and Maneesh Sharma for Yashraj Films's Ladies vs Ricky Bahl. Despite negative media perception, the film was a moderate success at the box office.
In 2012, Sharma appeared in Yash Chopra's swan song, the romance Jab Tak Hai Jaan alongside Shah Rukh Khan and Katrina Kaif. Whilst the film was commercially successful and earned a mostly positive reception from critics, her portrayal of the ambitious Discovery Chanel reporter Akira Rai, fetched her positive reviews from critics, with Adarsh noting: "She's an integral part of this story and it must be said that she walks away with some of the best scenes and lines in the movie. Her performance is full of grit."  This would be her second film with Shah Rukh Khan, opposite whom she made her Bollywood debut with Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and her fifth collaboration with the production house, Yash Raj Films. Additionally, for her role, she won the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress.
Sharma was last seen in Vishal Bharadwaj's Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola, a political satire set in the rustic surroundings of a village in Haryana. Co-starring alongside Pankaj Kapur, Imran Khan and Shabana Azmi, Sharma played the role of Bijlee Mandola, a strong headed, girl who is also a spoilt brat. Despite the hype, the film generated mixed reviews from critics and underperformed at the box office. Whilst many critics noted that Sharma was being stereotyped as the loud, bubbly girl, Sharma's performance attracted mixed reviews from critics, much like the film. Raja Sen noted that she "is great in a couple of scenes near the climax," though Kanika Sikka was more critical, calling her performance "unconvincing."
Sharma has completed work on Rajkumar Hirani's political satire P.K. alongside Aamir Khan and Anurag Kashyap's periodic love story Bombay Velvet, opposite Ranbir Kapoor both of which are releasing at the end of the year. Currently she is shooting Navdeep Singh's action thriller NH10, for which she is co-producing as well. She has also been signed on for Zoya Akhtar's next film, about a dysfunctional Punjabi family starring Farhan Akhtar, Anil Kapoor, Ranveer Singh and Priyanka Chopra. Sharma will be playing Singh's love interest.
Sharma has decided against speaking of her personal life in public. During the filming of Band Baaja Baaraat (2010) and Ladies vs Ricky Bahl (2011), Sharma was constantly reported to being in an on-off relationship with co-star Ranveer Singh. However, Sharma and Singh both denied the allegations. Despite the fact it was denied, the media continued to report the news and they were last reported to have broken up in August 2012.
|2008||Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi||Tani Sahni|
|2010||Badmaash Company||Bulbul Singh|
|2010||Band Baaja Baaraat||Shruti Kakkar|
|2011||Ladies vs Ricky Bahl||Ishika Desai|
|2012||Jab Tak Hai Jaan||Akira Rai|
|2013||Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola||Bijlee Mandola|
Awards and nominations
|2009||Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi||Filmfare Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Female||Nominated|
|Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
|2011||Band Baaja Baaraat||Filmfare Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Actor – Female||Nominated|
|Stardust Awards||Best Comedy/Romance Actress||Nominated|
|IIFA Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|Hottest Pair (along with Ranveer Singh)||Won|
|Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Won|
|Lions Gold Awards||Favorite Jodi (along with Ranveer Singh)||Won|
|Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Awards||Excellent Performance Award||Won |
|2012||Ladies vs Ricky Bahl||Stardust Awards||Best Comedy/Romance Actress||Won|
|—||Zee Cine Awards||International Female Icon||Nominated|
|2013||Jab Tak Hai Jaan||Filmfare Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Female||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Best Comedy/Romance Actress||Won|
|IIFA Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|Screen Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
Other Awards and Recognitions
- 2011 – GQ Men of the Year Awards: Excellence Award
- 2012 – Hello! Hall of Fame Awards: Face of the Year
- 2013 – Bollywood Hungama Surfers Choice Movie Awards 2012 – Best Actress in a Supporting Role – Jab Tak Hai Jaan
- 2013 – Koimoi 2012 Audience – Best Supporting Actress 2012 – Jab Tak Hai Jaan
- 2013 – HiFlyers Online Poll Awards - Popular Actress of 2012
- "Wish Anushka Sharma a very Happy Birthday". Times of India. 29 April 2010. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- Gupta, Priya (18 December 2012). "There is no system in the film industry: Anushka". Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "ANUSHKA SHARMA: The 1,000 watt girl". Tehelka Magazine. Vol 8, Issue 14, Dated 9 Apr 2011.
- "ANUSHKA SHARMA: Awards". Bollywood Hungama. 27 April 2011.
- "Promising Actresses of Bollywood". MensXP.com. 6 July 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Anushka Sharma celebrates 25th birthday in Goa". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Pitale, Sonali Joshi (1 May 2013). "Anushka Sharma celebrates her 25th birthday in Goa today". Mid-Day. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Joshi, Sonali (8 April 2012). "Anushka Sharma buys three flats worth Rs.10 crore in Mumbai's posh area". IndiaToday. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Singh, Mauli (29 December 2010). "Ranveer is my favourite co-star: Anushka". Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Bahadur, Sona (4 April 2011). "Cloud Nine". Verve. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Hardly ban-nered, Entertainment – Bollywood". Mumbai Mirror. 24 March 2009. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- "The Daily Mail – Daily News from Pakistan – Newspaper from Pakistan". Dailymailnews.com. Retrieved 24 June 2010.[dead link]
- Taran Adarsh (12 December 2008). "Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi: Movie Review". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- "Box Office 2008". Boxofficeindia.com.
- "Badmaash Company -reviews, news, gallery, views". nextbollywood.com. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Interview With Anushka Sharma". GlamSham. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "YRF launches new face with Anushka Sharma". Movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Shweta Mehta "‘I am not Rajnikanth’", Hindustan Times, 26 October 2010.
- PTI "Band Baja Baraat is my best film till date: Anushka", Mid-Day, 27 August 2010.
- Nagpaul D'souza, Dipti (5 November 2010). "Missing the mark". The Indian Express. Indian Express Group. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Band Baaja Baaraat 5th Week Scores Over Tees Maar Khan 3rd Week". Box Office India. 17 January 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- Kazmi, Nikhat (9 December 2010). "Band Baaja Baaraat: Review". The Times of India (The Times Group). Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Band Baaja Baaraat Review". Adarsh, Taran. Archived from the original on 21 October 2010. Retrieved 10 October 2010.
- "Anushka Sharma Awards". bollywood hungama. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Entertainment. "Akshay,Anushka's Valentine Date – Bollywood – Entertainment – News – Articles – Hindustan Times". Retrieved 28 July 2010.
- "Patiala House Review". Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Ladies vs Ricky Bahl". TNN. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Boxofficeindia.com". Boxofficeindia.com. 17 December 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Taran Adarsh Review". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "'King of Romance' Yash Chopra dies at 80". Hindustan Times. 21 October 2012. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "Critics report: Matru Ki Bijlee... disappoints but still a must-watch". Hindustan Times. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola Is A Huge Flop". Box office India. 14 January 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Inkaar Poor Opening Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola Poor First Week". Box Office India. 19 January 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Sen, Raja. "Review: Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola is absurdly great". Rediff. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Sikka, Kanika. "Film review: Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola is a confused (thus confusing) film". DNA India. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- ""Hope We Make ‘P.K.’ Better Than ’3 Idiots’" – Anushka Sharma". Koimoi. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Ranbir to co-produce Bombay Velvet". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Anushka Sharma turns producer with NH 10". Bollywood Hungama. 31 October 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "Zoya Akhtar’s film is about a dysfunctional Punjabi family". Times of India. 23 February 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Nominations for 54th Filmfare Awards 2008". Bollywoodhungama.com. 15 February 2009. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- "Apsara Awards 2009 winners". Indicine.com. 9 January 2010. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- "It's SRK vs Salman at Filmfare". Times of India. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- "Nominations for Zee Cine Awards 2011". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- "IIFA Awards 2011 – 2012 Winners". Indicine. 27 June 2011. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "Winners of 6th Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Men Of The Year 2011 – the winners". GQ India. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Hello Awards 2012 / 2013 – Winners". Business of Cinema. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "HiFlyers Awards 2012 Results".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anushka Sharma.|