Type of site
AnyDecentMusic? is a website that collates reviews of contemporary music albums, covering rock, pop, electronic, dance, folk, country, roots and urban. Reviews are sourced from approximately 50 websites, magazines and newspapers, largely from the US and UK, but also from Canada, Ireland and Australia.
AnyDecentMusic? was set up in 2009 by Ally Palmer and Terry Watson, the directors of PalmerWatson, a newspaper and magazine design consultancy. On creating the site: "Newspapers are our business (and we're passionate about them). Our other passion is music, and we've combined the two things."
The site's creators, Palmer and Watson, say: [AnyDecentMusic?] surveys reviews of recent album releases in newspapers and websites and provides a constantly updated chart of critical reaction."
Ratings are averaged and albums ranked in a chart intended to give an overall picture of critical appraisal of current releases, based on the averaged score out of 10. This chart forms the centrepiece of the site. Users can also view charts showing rankings over 3 months, 6 months or 12 months. It is also possible to view a genre-specific chart, or to exclude genres not of interest.
Short extracts of the review are provided, with hyperlinks to the original article. Some print-only reviews are also included, but not all of these have extracts from the original. AnyDecentMusic? assesses reviews which do not provide a numerical score and assigns what it deems to be an appropriate score, based on the tone and content of the review.
On album review pages, there is generally a YouTube clip of a track from the album and links to music streaming service Spotify and online music streaming site Grooveshark. Most albums also have 30-second preview clips of tracks from the album provided by the commercial music download service 7digital.
The music website AltSounds was added to the list of ratings sources in November 2012. They announced it by saying: "AltSounds has recently joined the tastemaking chart website Any Decent Music, where our reviews are a part of the construction of the album chart."
In July 2012, an AnyDecentMusic app was launched within the music streaming service Spotify. This was Spotify's App of the Day on July 19. It was described by Spotify: "Developed from the AnyDecentMusic.com chart, which provides music lovers with constantly updated listings of the most critically-acclaimed albums, this novel Spotify app uses ratings from the leading expert, independent review sources across the world to help you discover the best in new music"
The site is similar to other review aggregator websites such as Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes in that it gathers reviews to assess critical acclaim. The site differs in the sense that it specializes in contemporary music in its chosen fields. It does not cover jazz or classical releases, or many world music albums, and tends to ignore most reissues, compilations and various artist collections. It also differs in its choice of sources, electing to be more selective, rather than cover all available reviews.
The site also offers regular track recommendations, called "Today We Love", and regular playlists, with themes that appear sometimes to be topical and sometimes random. Although similar in principle to other review aggregator websites, AnyDecentMusic? puts some focus on its users finding new music through its features, with users able to formulate a personal "chart" through genre and time period search filters.
Palmer and Watson described their reasoning behind the site on their PalmerWatson.com website: "We couldn't find a site that did what AnyDecentMusic? does, so we built one."
Once an album or release has five reviews from different sources, it enters the current Recent Releases chart, where it remains for six weeks. It is this chart that forms the centerpiece of the site. The Observer Sunday newspaper regularly features the AnyDecentMusic? top 10 in its charts page.
There is an "All-Time" Chart, but this covers only the duration of the website's existence, which is approximately three years.
Albums which have held the highest rating in the Recent Releases chart are given the title ADM Chart Topper. A list of ADM Chart Toppers includes:
- St. Vincent by St. Vincent
- Once I Was An Eagle by Laura Marling
- Channel Orange by Frank Ocean
- Have One on Me by Joanna Newsom
- Tarot Sport by Fuck Buttons
- Let It Beep by Royal Bangs
- Hadestown by Anais Mitchell
- Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective 
- I Speak Fula by Bassekou Kouyate
- Ali And Toumani by Ali Farka Touré and Toumani Diabaté
- Learning by Perfume Genius
- Seek Magic by Memory Tapes
- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… Pt. II by Raekwon
- Hidden by These New Puritans
- There Is Love in You by Four Tet
- The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III) by Janelle Monáe
- The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West 
- Let England Shake by PJ Harvey 
- good kid, m.A.A.d city by Kendrick Lamar 
- The Idler Wheel... by Fiona Apple 
- The Harrow & The Harvest by Gillian Welch 
- Lonerism by Tame Impala 
- Kindred by Burial 
- The Money Store by Death Grips 
- Bon Iver by Bon Iver 
- The Seer by Swans 
- Whokill by Tune-Yards 
- Smother by Wild Beasts 
- Kill For Love by Chromatics 
- "altsounds.com". altsounds.com/.
- "Spotify App of the Day".
- "50 Similar Sites like Anydecentmusic.com". Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "The New Review | Culture | guardian.co.uk". Guardian. Archived from the original on 25 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-23.[dead link]
- "Once I Was An Eagle by Laura Marling reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Channel Orange by Frank Ocean reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Have One On Me by Joanna Newsom reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Tarot Sport by Fuck Buttons reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Let It Beep by Royal Bangs reviews". Any Decent Music.
- http://www.anydecentmusic.com/review/1764/Hadestown.aspx |title=Reviews of Hadestown by Anais Mitchell, collected by Any Decent Music |publisher=Anydecentmusic.com |date=2010-04-26 |accessdate=2010-08-23| archiveurl= http://web.archive.org/web/20100817085648
- "Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective reviews - Any Decent Music".
- "I Speak Fula by Bassekou Kouyate reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Ali And Toumani by Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Learning by Perfume Genius reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Seek Magic by Memory Tapes reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt. II by Raekwon reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Hidden by These New Puritans reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "There Is Love In You by Four Tet reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "The ArchAndroid by Janelle Monáe reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "The Suburbs by Arcade Fire reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Let England Shake by PJ Harvey reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "good kid, m.A.A.d city by Kendrick Lamar reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do by Fiona Apple reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "The Harrow & The Harvest by Gillian Welch reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Lonerism by Tame Impala reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Kindred by Burial reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "The Money Store by Death Grips reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Bon Iver by Bon Iver reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "The Seer by Swans reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Who Kill by tUnE-YaRdS reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Smother by Wild Beasts reviews". Any Decent Music.
- "Kill For Love by Chromatics reviews". Any Decent Music.