UK picture sleeve
|Single by George Harrison|
|from the album Brainwashed|
|Released||12 May 2003|
|Label||Parlophone, Dark Horse|
|Producer(s)||George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Dhani Harrison|
|George Harrison singles chronology|
The only known public performance of "Any Road" was in 1997, by Harrison, at the suggestion of Sukanya Rajan during an interview with Ravi Shankar conducted by VH1 (it was the last known filmed performance by Harrison). Harrison had used the phrase "if you don't care where you're going, an road will get you there", many times before, particularly when referencing how fortunate he was to know where he wanted to go as a young boy, which was to play the guitar.
The refrain "If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there" was essentially a paraphrase of an exchange between Alice and the Cheshire Cat in Chapter 6 of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland:
- "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
- "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
- "I don’t much care where--" said Alice.
- "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go," said the Cat.
- "--so long as I get SOMEWHERE," Alice added as an explanation.
- "Oh, you’re sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
"Any Road" was nominated at the 2004 Grammy Awards for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance, and was also featured on the 2004 Grammy Nominees compilation album. Although the song lost the award to Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me a River," Harrison's "Marwa Blues" (the instrumental B-side to "Any Road") won in its category for Best Pop Instrumental Performance.
Both "Any Road" and "Marwa Blues" were included in Harrison's 2009 career-spanning compilation, Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison.
- John Kadlecik plays "Any Road" with Furthur as well as his own John Kadlecik Band.
- Joe Brown performed "Any Road" on his live Ukulele Album in 2012.
- Railroad Earth performs "Any Road" approximately 10-15 times a year.
- 7" R6601, CD CDRS6601
- "Any Road" - 3:49
- "Marwa Blues" - 3:40
- "Any Road" (video) - CD only
- George Harrison - Any Road at Graham Calkin's Beatles Pages.