Any Time at All
|"Any Time at All"|
|Song by The Beatles from the album A Hard Day's Night|
|Released||10 June 1964 (mono)
10 July 1964 (stereo)
|Recorded||2 June 1964
Abbey Road Studios
|Genre||Rock and roll|
|A Hard Day's Night track listing|
"Any Time at All" is a song recorded by English rock band the Beatles. Credited to Lennon–McCartney, it was mainly composed by John Lennon, with an instrumental middle eight by Paul McCartney. It first appeared on the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night album.
Incomplete when first brought into Abbey Road Studios on Tuesday 2 June 1964, Paul McCartney suggested an idea for the middle eight section based solely on chords, which was recorded with the intention of adding lyrics later. But by the time it was needed to be mixed, the middle eight was still without words and that is how it appears on the LP. These few notes were influential in sections of Xanadu, I Say a Little Prayer and Tonight I'm Yours. McCartney sings the second "Anytime at all" in each chorus because Lennon couldn't reach the notes. "Any Time at All" reprises a George Martin trick from "A Hard Day's Night" by using a piano solo echoed lightly note-for-note on guitar by George Harrison.
In addition to A Hard Day's Night, "Any Time at All" was included on:
- Extracts from the Album A Hard Day's Night British EP.
- Capitol album Something New
- Rock 'n' Roll Music compilation LP.
- John Lennon – vocal, acoustic rhythm guitar, 12-string guitar
- Paul McCartney – harmony vocal, bass, piano
- George Harrison – lead guitar
- Ringo Starr – drums
- In 1973 Blue Ash No More, No Less Mercury Records SRM1-666
- In 1976, C.B. Victoria recorded a version for his album "Dawning Day"
- In 1981, Nils Lofgren included a version on his album Night Fades Away.
- In 1990, Austrian band Opus on their album Magical Touch.
- In 1991, Dweezil Zappa released a cover version for his album, Confessions.
- In 2012, OK Go released a cover version on their first compilation album, Twelve Days of Ok Go.
- In 2014, Bryan Adams recorded a version for his album Tracks of My Years.
- "Any Time At All". The Beatles Bible. 2009. Retrieved 27 June 2009.
- Lewisohn, Mark (1988). The Beatles Recording Sessions. New York: Harmony Books. ISBN 0-517-57066-1.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties (Second Revised ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). ISBN 1-84413-828-3.
- Miles, Barry (1997). Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now. New York: Henry Holt & Company. ISBN 0-8050-5249-6.
- Sheff, David (2000). All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono. New York: St. Martin's Press. ISBN 0-312-25464-4.