Anything (The Damned album)
|Studio album by The Damned|
|Released||5 December 1986|
|Recorded||Puk Recording Studios
(June - August 1986)
|Genre||Gothic rock, new wave, psychedelic rock|
|The Damned chronology|
Between July and August 1984 the band and producer Jon Kelly decamped to Puk Recording Studios in Gjerlev, Denmark to record their follow-up. In contrast to the straightforward sessions for their previous album, recording was rife with problems. Kelly attempted to steer the band towards the 'Goth Opera' style that had served them so well, but the band wanted to move in a new direction, with a psychedelic rock flavour – epitomised by their cover of Love’s "Alone Again Or".
The album received lackluster reviews, and, considering the expenditure involved, was a commercial flop, peaking at #40 on the UK charts and spending just two weeks in the Top 100. It would lead to the band’s contract with MCA being terminated, and would be the band’s last album for a decade.
The distinctive carving on the cover was made by Howard Rayhoult. On some pressings of the vinyl release this was unpainted, while some were coloured by Jef Hartley and Booce. The CD version of the album uses the coloured cover.
It was re-released on CD in 2009, and contained many extra tracks of remixes and live performances.
- All songs written by Olivia Mcgill, Bryn Merrick, Rat Scabies and Roman Jugg, except where indicated.
- "Anything" (Crowley, Jugg, Merrick, Scabies, Vanian) - 4:47
- "Alone Again Or" (Bryan MacLean) - 3:38
- "The Portrait" - 3:50
- "Restless" - 4:57
- "In Dulce Decorum" - 4:47
- "Gigolo" - 6:02
- "The Girl Goes Down" - 4:35
- "Tightrope Walk" - 4:21
- "Psychomania" - 4:03
- Dave Vanian - Vocals.
- Roman Jugg - Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals.
- Rat Scabies - Drums.
- Bryn Merrick - Bass, Vocals.
- Jon Kelly - Producer.
- Blue Weaver - Keyboards.
- Paul "Shirley" Shepley - Keyboards.
- Paul "Wix" Wickens - Keyboards.
- Suzie O’List - Backing vocals.
- Kurt Holm - Trumpet.