Aotearoa Student Press Association
The Aotearoa Student Press Association (ASPA) is an association of fourteen student newspapers and magazines that are published by the student associations of universities and polytechnics in Aotearoa (New Zealand).
The members of ASPA are:
- Caclin, Lincoln University
- Canta, University of Canterbury
- Craccum, University of Auckland
- Crew, Universal College of Learning
- Critic, University of Otago
- Debate, Auckland University of Technology
- Decoy, Eastern Institute of Technology
- Gyro, Otago Polytechnic
- In Unison, Unitec
- MASSIVE, Massey University, Wellington Albany and Manawatu campuses
- Nexus, Waikato University
- Salient, Victoria University of Wellington
The association has held an annual awards ceremony since 2002 recognising the best in New Zealand's student media; past sponsors have included the New Zealand Listener and Fairfax Media Group. Prizes regularly include subscriptions and an internship with the sponsor. The ASPA Awards are judged by a collection of New Zealand media experts and commentators - previous judges have included Chris Knox, Nicky Hager, Raybon Kan, and John Campbell.
Past Award Recipients
2013 - Critic, Salient (2nd), Massive (3rd)
2012 - Critic, Salient (2nd), Massive (3rd)
2011 - Salient, Magneto and Critic (2nd)
2010 - Critic, Salient (2nd), Canta (3rd)
2009 - Salient, Craccum (2nd), Critic (3rd)
2008 - Critic, Magneto (2nd), Salient (3rd)
2007 - Craccum, Critic (2nd), Salient (3rd)
2006 - Critic, Salient (2nd), Craccum (3rd)
2005 - Critic, Salient (2nd), Craccum (3rd)
2004 - Salient, Critic (2nd), Craccum (3rd)
Best Small Publication
2013 - Canta
2012 - Canta, Nexus (2nd)
2009 - Magneto, Gyro (2nd), InUnison (3rd)
2007 - Magneto, In Unison (2nd), Satellite (3rd)
2006 - Magneto, Satellite (2nd), In Unison (3rd)
2005 - Debate, Magneto (2nd), Satellite & In Unison (3rd equal) (3rd)
- "Office of the Speaker: Press gallery". New Zealand Parliament website. Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- Aotearoa Student Press Association (30 March 2005). "Student Media Gears Up for Election". Scoop.co.nz. Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- "Excellence in student media recognised". Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Critic magazine (30 September 2010). "Critic Magazine Wins Student Media Awards". Scoop.co.nz. Retrieved 8 October 2013.
- Craccum Named Best Student Publication For 2007. Scoop (2007-10-12). Retrieved on 2009-01-12.
- ASPA Awards: Critic wins again!. Critic (2006-10-16). Retrieved on 2009-01-12.
- ASPA Awards: Critic named Best Student Publication. Scoop (2005-10-03). Retrieved on 2009-01-12.