ApNano Materials is a US company with a research facility (and wholly owned company NanoMaterials Ltd.) in Ness Ziona, Israel that designs and manufactures nanotechnology-based products. The company contracts services at the Weizmann Institute in Rehovot, Israel to research technology for new products. The company has developed NanoLub and nanocomposite body armor materials.
Dr. Menachem Genut and Mr. Aharon Feuerstein founded the company at 2002. Dr. Menachem Genut served as President and CEO until 2010, and Mr. Aharon Feuerstein served as Chairman of the Board and CFO until 2010. the current CEO is Dr. Niles Fleischer, and the current CFO is Yaniv Zilber.
NanoLub is a lubricant based on nano-spheres and nanotubes of inorganic compounds that were discovered at the Weizmann Institute. NanoLub particles have a unique structure of nested spheres that lubricate by a special mechanism that can be considered as the rolling of millions of miniature ball bearings, thus greatly reducing friction and wear (see tribology).
ApNano has developed a material for body armor that is always rigid, and is five times as strong as steel and two times as strong as any impact-resistant material used to make protective gear. Development started in 2004, and production started in 2007. The nanocomposite based on Tungsten disulfide was able to withstand shocks generated by a steel projectile traveling at velocities of up to 1.5 km/second. The material was also reportedly able to withstand shock pressures generated by the impacts of up to 250 tons per square centimeter. During the tests, the material proved to be so strong that after the impact the samples remained essentially unmarred. Additionally, a recent study in France tested the material under isostatic pressure and found it to be stable up to at least 350 tons/cm².
- "New nanotech armor called 5 times stronger than steel". WorldTribune. 2006-01-09. Retrieved 2009-04-07. "ApNano has tested armor said to be five times stronger than steel and twice as strong as any impact-resistant material used in protective gear."
- "ApNano Materials Inc named by InnovationWORLD as one of the 21 companies that are poised for growth in the 21st century, Industry, ApNano Materials". 2004-10-26. Retrieved 2009-04-07. "ApNano Materials Inc., a provider of nanotechnology-based products, today announced that it has been named by InnovationWORLD as one of the 21 companies that are poised for growth in the 21st century"
- "Saving Energy By Fighting Friction". BusinessWeek. 2007-11-07. Retrieved 2009-04-07. "ApNano founder Menachem Genut says his fullerenes will be available as an additive in name-brand fuel oil within a year"
- Kloosterman, Karin (2009-03-20). "Israel's Nanotech Industry Takes Off". Retrieved 2009-04-07. "The company claims NanoLub -- its particle-based lubricant - can keep your engine free from an oil change and lube job for years"
- "Protecting the soldiers of tomorrow". IsraCast. 2006-02-15. Retrieved 2009-04-07. "A year ago IsraCast reported on the development of the first commercial nano-based lubricant which was developed by the Israeli company ApNano materials"