|Developer(s)||Apache Software Foundation|
|Stable release||1.7.1 / September 17, 2014|
|Operating system||Cross-platform (JVM)|
|Type||Web Application Server|
|License||Apache License 2.0|
Apache TomEE (pronounced "Tommy") is the Java Enterprise Edition of Apache Tomcat (Tomcat + Java EE = TomEE) that combines several Java enterprise projects including Apache OpenEJB, Apache OpenWebBeans, Apache OpenJPA, Apache MyFaces and others. In October 2011, the project obtained certification by Oracle Corporation as a compatible implementation of the Java EE 6 Web Profile.
Here a list of the open source components that are included in TomEE.
|Apache Tomcat||HTTP server and Servlet container supporting Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages (JSP).|
|Apache OpenEJB||Open source Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB) Container System.|
|Apache OpenWebBeans||Open source Java Contexts and Dependency Injection (CDI) implementation.|
|Apache OpenJPA||Open source Java Persistence API (JPA) 2.0 implementation.|
|Apache MyFaces||Open source Java Server Faces (JSF) implementation.|
|Apache ActiveMQ||Open source Java Message Service (JMS) implementation.|
|Apache CXF||Web Services frameworks with variety of protocols such as SOAP, XML/HTTP, RESTful HTTP.|
|Apache Derby||Full-fledged relational database management system (RDBMS) with native Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) support.|
TomEE JAX-RS is a second distribution that adds support for Java API for RESTful Web Services (JAX-RS). The full TomEE Plus distribution adds additional support for Java API for XML Web Services (JAX-WS), Java EE Connector Architecture, and Java Messaging Service (JMS).
Other Java EE application servers:
- Apache Geronimo
- WildFly (formerly known as JBoss AS, or simply JBoss)
- WebSphere AS
- WebLogic Server
- Comparison of application servers
Two years after the announcement of Apache TomEE at JavaOne 2011 several Apache TomEE creators united to form Tomitribe, a commercial support company dedicated to the Apache TomEE community and focused on promoting open source values.
- "Apache TomEE". Apache OpenEJB.
- "The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache TomEE Certified as Java EE 6 Web Profile Compatible". MarketWatch. 4 Oct 2011.
- "Apache TomEE Web stack gains approval". InfoWorld. 7 Oct 2011.
- "Apache TomEE comparison".
- "TomEE creator lifts lid on new company Tomitribe".
- "Feed the Fish".
- "Who Are The Real Heroes Of Open Source?".
- Apache TomEE, Java EE 6 Web Profile on Tomcat at Devoxx 2012 (recorded presentation)
- Apache TomEE - Tomcat with a Kick at JAXLondon 2011
- Apache TomEE Java EE 6 Web Profile at JavaOne 2011