Apartment 1303 3D
|Apartment 1303 3D|
|Directed by||Michael Taverna|
|Produced by||Cindy Nelson-Mullen
|Written by||Kei Ôishi
Rebecca De Mornay
|Music by||John Lissauer|
|Cinematography||Paul M. Sommers|
|Editing by||Mattias Morheden|
|Running time||101 minutes|
|Box office||$19,234,576 million|
Apartment 1303 3D is a 2012 horror film directed by Michael Taverna. The US-Canadian co-production is the English-language remake of the Japanese film of the same name. It is an adaptation of Japanese author Kei Ôishi's novel. The film stars Mischa Barton, Rebecca De Mornay and Julianne Michelle. The film officially went into production in Montreal in early November 2011. The film was released theatrically in Russia on December 6, 2012. In the United States, the film was released on the VOD platform on June 17, 2013, followed by a theatrical release on July 25, 2013.
Following a family dispute, Janet moves out of the home she shares with her older sister, Lara and their single mother, Maddie. She moves into apartment 1303 on the thirteenth floor of a downtown Detroit apartment building. A nine year old neighbor, Emily explains to Janet that a previous occupant of her new apartment killed herself. Strange things begin to occur in the apartment and when Janet appears bruised at work, she rebuffs concerns that her boyfriend, Mark, is abusing her and blames the marks on sleepwalking.
Janet is shaken by the strange events that are happening preferring to stay late at the office rather than return to apartment 1303. She calls her sister, Lara, to ask if she can return home but Lara informs her this would be a bad idea as their mother is having another "drunk psycho rant". Janet suggests going to a hotel but this is quickly dismissed as Lara is not able to pay for it. Janet then calls Mark who is back in town and he agrees to call round. Later that night, Janet is awoken by supernatural elements in the apartment but unfortunately Mark is no longer around. A supernatural force takes hold of Janet's body leading to her suicide. Her sister, Lara later arrives to gather Janet's belongings and begins to experience the same terrors.
- Mischa Barton as Lara Slate
- Rebecca De Mornay as Maddie Slate
- Julianne Michelle as Janet Slate
- Corey Sevier as Mark Taylor
- John Diehl as Detective
- Gordon Masten as O'Neil
- Madison McAleer as Emily
- Kathleen Mackey as Jennifer Logan
- Katherine Cleland as Waitress
The Swedish director Daniel Fridell had originally been set to direct the project but was later replaced by Michael Taverna.
A specialised crew of 3D experts from Hong Kong were hired for the film.
Apartment 1303 3D was panned by critics. The movie holds no score at Rotten Tomatoes and almost get to IMDb Bottom 100 with 2.8/10 rating.
- Apartment 1303 3D Upcoming Horror Movies. 8 August 2011
- Box office / business for Apartment 1303 3D Retrieved on 19 November 2011
- (source needed)
- Apartment 1303 Officially Begins Production Dread Central. 8 November 2011
- Russian Trailer & TV Spot For Taverna’s Horror APARTMENT 1303 3D, Starring Mischa Barton! Filmofilia. 6 December 2012
- Gravitas Ventures Makes Indie Film History With 3D Acquisition of 'Apartment 1303' Indie Wire. 18 April 2013
- Apartment 1303 3D Currently Shooting In Montreal, Specialized 3D Crew Brought In From Hong Kong The Business of Film Daily] Retrieved on 19 October 2011