Apnalaya's programmes are carried out by over 60 trained and dedicated community based staff, who work hand with 7 professional social workers and 3 doctors, under the guidance of the CEO, Dhun Davar (India). The main area of work is Shivaji Nagar, Govandi, with communities around the dumping ground: Rafi Nagar, Shanti Nagar, Padma Nagar and Chickalwadi. Apnalaya is a member of Credibility Alliance, and adhere to the desirable norms for good governance of voluntary organisations. Apnalya tries to help the children living in slums to progress toward a better life. In the beginning it was started a welfare program for the poor children living in the huts of Nariman Point, Mumbai. And there after Within three years, Apnalaya centres were opened in three other slum communities in Tardeo, Govandi and Malad, which has increased to ten now, including a Training Centre in Masjid Bunder.
One of Apnalaya's prime objectives is to work for children, to help them grow up to a better life; Apnalaya makes service to large no of children community through programmes such as balwadis and study classes, sponsorship and recreation etc. and also it provides support for community groups to run similar type of programmes. For more than 25 years Apnalaya has been promoting preschool education in deprived communities, running its own balwadis, and training teachers to run hundreds of balwadis all over Mumbai. Study classes and sponsorship help children to stay in school and structured recreation session’s help in the overall development of the more vulnerable children in the community.
- Balwadis and khelwadis
- Support to community run balwadis
- Sponsorship to the school going children, including handicapped children
- Study classes and non-formal education
Apnalaya activities also include in providing the health services to the people living in very poor communities. At these places because of the extreme poverty, lack of good water, sanitation and awareness etc., Malnutrition and health complications are major problems. To make a significant improvement in the health status of a community Apnalaya adopts a holistic approach, combining preventive, curative and promotive programmes with working with local groups residing at these places.And also it does educates the community about preventive health education. And Apnalaya also runs clinics, which are affordable and easily accessible in communities where these are rarely seen.
- General clinics
- Immunisation and growth monitoring
- Family planning
- Health classes for community women
- Training of community health workers
- Campaigns on health topics
Starting with promoting education for the girl child, Apnalaya strives to improve the condition of women. Apnalaya offers help to them with vocational training and to form savings groups, to sort out their family problems etc.
Following are the activities undertaken by Apnalaya for empowering the women.
- Family counseling
- ‘Bachat Gat’, or saving groups
- Special programmes for women, such as Mahila Milan
- ‘Yuvati Gat’ for adolescent girls
- Vocational training
Apnalaya activities in community development include the following issues.
- providing Housing, and infrastructure such as water and electricity at the vulnerable places.
- Sanitation, and the construction of community toilet blocks
- Work with the Municipality to improve infrastructure
- Promoting communal harmony and good relations among the people
- "Online Donation Page of Apnalaya, Mumbai| An initiative by United Way Mumbai". Unitedwaymumbai.org. Retrieved 2013-12-09.