Apostolic Nunciature to the Philippines
|Apostolic Nunciature of the Holy See to the Philippines|
|Address||2140 Taft Avenue
|Apostolic Nuncio||Archbishop Giuseppe Pinto|
Diplomatically, an Apostolic Nuncio may be equivalent to an ambassador, and often carries the ecclesial title of archbishop. The nuncio works closely with the Archdiocese of Manila, and is by custom the Dean of the diplomatic corps.
The Apostolic Nunciature to the Philippines was erected circa 1902. Though the official residence of the nuncio is located in Manila, he is not subject to the Archbishop of Manila.
Archbishop Giuseppe Pinto is the current nuncio to the Philippines, and was appointed on May 10, 2011. He previously served as nuncio in Africa and, most recently, Chile. Pinto replaced Archbishop Edward Joseph Adams from the United States of America.
Role in the hierarchy: vicariates
As an apostolic vicar, the nuncio also serves a role in the hierarchy of the Catholic Church. An apostolic vicariate is a territorial jurisdiction established in areas which do not have a diocese and the nuncio serves as metropolitan bishop to these vicariates.
In the Philippines, the apostolic vicariates are:
- Apostolic Vicariate of Bontoc-Lagawe
- Apostolic Vicariate of Calapan
- Apostolic Vicariate of Jolo
- Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa
- Apostolic Vicariate of San José in Mindoro
- Apostolic Vicariate of Tabuk
- Apostolic Vicariate of Taytay
List of Apostolic Nuncios to the Philippines
- † Placide Louis Chapelle (c. 1899 - 9 August 1905, died in office)
- † Donato Sbarretti (16 September 1901 - 26 December 1902, appointed Apostolic Delegate to Canada)
- † Ambrose Agius, O.S.B. (c. 1904 - 12 December 1911, died in office)
- † Guglielmo Piani, S.D.B. (17 March 1922 - 5 October 1948, appointed Official to México)
- † Egidio Vagnozzi (9 March 1949 - 16 December 1958, appointed Apostolic Delegate to the United States of America)
- † Salvatore Siino (14 March 1959 - 8 October 1963, died in office)
- † Carlo Martini (29 November 1963 - 5 August 1967, appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Chile)
- † Carmine Rocco (16 September 1967 - 22 May 1973, appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Brazil)
- † Bruno Torpigliani (6 June 1973 - April 1990, retired)
- † Gian Vincenzo Moreni (8 September 1990 - 3 March 1999, died in office)
- Antonio Franco (6 April 1999 - 21 January 2006, appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Israel)
- Fernando Cardinal Filoni (25 February 2006 - 9 June 2007, appointed Sostituto (Substitute) of the Secretariat of State)
- Edward Joseph Adams (3 September 2007 - 22 February 2011, appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Greece)
- Giuseppe Pinto (10 May 2011 – present)
- List of diplomatic missions of the Holy See
- List of diplomatic missions in the Philippines
- Foreign relations of the Holy See
- Foreign relations of the Philippines
- Roman Catholicism in the Philippines
- "Archbishop Giuseppe Pinto". Catholic Church Hierarchy. Retrieved 12 July 2011.