|Full name||Apostolos Vellios|
|Date of birth||8 January 1992|
|Place of birth||Thessaloniki, Greece|
|Height||1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|2013–2014||→ Blackpool (loan)||2||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 September 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Apostolos Vellios (Greek: Απόστολος Βέλλιος) (born 8 January 1992) is a Greek football striker who plays for Belgian Pro League club K. Lierse S.K.. He came out of Iraklis' academies before moving to the club's first team. Vellios played in England for three and a half years representing Everton and Blackpool. He has also represented his country at all youth levels.
Vellios started his professional career at Iraklis in 2008. He made his debut against in a 4–1 away defeat by Skoda Xanthi on 26 April 2009, as he came in as a late substitute for Dimitris Giantsis, for the last round of the 2008–09 season. His first goal was an equalizer in injury time against Olympiacos in Karaiskakis Stadium on 7 November 2009, to help Iraklis escape with an away draw against the Greek giants. He was named MVP of the 10th round of the Greek Superleague for his performance in that match. At the end of the season, he totalled nine appearances for the club, all as a substitute, and two goals.
Following interest from Fulham, Olympiacos, AEK, and Bologna, Vellios signed for Everton in January 2011 for a fee of £250,000 on a 4-year deal. Vellios scored Everton Reserves' only goal in his debut, as they suffered an 5–1 home defeat against Blackburn Rovers Reserves. Vellios made his first-team debut for Everton against Aston Villa in the Premier League, on 2 April 2011, replacing Jermaine Beckford after 80 minutes. He scored his first goal for the first team in a home 3–1 win against Wigan Athletic on 17 September 2011. His second goal was scored away against Chelsea after being on the pitch for only 18 seconds, 8 seconds from play being restarted. Once again he appeared as a substitute away at Bolton Wanderers, he scored with a right footed shot to make it 2–0, making it his third goal for Everton after playing just 235 minutes on the pitch.
However he was subsequently completely dropped from the squad by Moyes and pushed into the reserves despite being the top scorer. At the time of his Everton career, Velios mainly played for Everton Reserves, however still holding the Premier League statistic of a goal every 86 minutes, still the highest rate at Everton during 2011-2012 season. He made his 2012/13 first team debut by coming on as a sub against Sunderlan, which Everton won 2-1 with Marouane Fellaini and Nikica Jelavic getting the goals for the Toffees. On 10 May 2014, after 3 and a half years with the Toffees, Vellios announced his removal from the club on Twitter. Throughout these years did not succeed to be one of the regulars of the club. "I would like to thank Everton for these three and a half years of my life, but mostly I have a big thanks for the supporters. You will be forever in my heart" he stated.
In March 2014, Vellios joined Blackpool on loan for the reminder of the season. He was given a starting debut at Q.P.R. on 29 March, but in the next match — a 2–1 home defeat to Yeovil Town — he was substituted five minutes into the second half and has not featured since.
Vellios has been capped 16 times for the Greek U-19 team and has scored 9 goals for them. His last appearances to date, with Greece U-19, was in the two friendly matches against Macedonia U-19 in January 2011. The first was a 2–1 win for Greece U-19, a game in which Vellios scored the opening goal. The other match was contested two days later and Vellios managed to score twice, in a match that Greece U-19 won by a 3–0 scoreline.
Vellios is the son of Kostas Vellios, a former footballer of Iraklis. He was a student at Aristotelio High School and, on 18 March 2010, by playing for the school team he was crowned champion in the Greek High School Championship. Vellios is also known for being a lifelong supporter of Iraklis.
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2014-15||Lierse||Belgian Pro League||2||0||–||–||–||2||0|
- "Barclays Premier League Squad Numbers 2013/14". Premier League. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Premier League Player Profile". Premier League. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "Apostolos Vellios". IRAKLIS F.C. official site. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Ξάνθη – Ηρακλής 4–1 (in Greek). Contra.gr. 26 April 2009. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Ολυμπιακός-Ηρακλής 1–1 (in Greek). Contra.gr. 7 November 2009. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Βράβευση Αποστόλου Βέλλιου MVP ΟΠΑΠ 10ης αγωνιστικής" (in Greek). Superleague Official site. 17 November 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Φούλαμ για Βέλλιο (in Greek). Bluearena.gr. 30 December 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Φούλαμ για Βέλλιο, ζήτησε να τον δοκιμάσει (in Greek). Contra.gr. 30 December 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- ""Κοκκινίζει" o Βέλλιος" (in Greek). 4 January 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Πρώτο "όχι" του Ηρακλή για Απόστολο Βέλλιο (in Greek). Bluearena.gr. 5 January 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Όχι" Βέλλιου στον Θρύλο (in Greek). gazzetta.gr. 12 January 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Βουίζει η Αθήνα για συμφωνία ΑΕΚ-Βέλλιου (in Greek). Bluearena.gr. 14 January 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Έκλεισε στην ΑΕΚ ο Βέλλιος (in Greek). gazzetta.gr. 17 January 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Scambio Pozzi-Maccarone? Samp e Palermo ci pensano" (in Italian). LaGazzettadelloSport.it. 21 January 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Loans out as Vellios lands". Everton official site. 31 January 2011. Retrieved 1 February 2011.
- "Everton Res v Blackburn Res". Everton FC official site. 22 February 2011. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- Begley, Emlyn. He scored on his first touch against Chelsea on 15 October 2011 in the 81st minute of a 3–1 loss (17 September 2011). "Everton 3 – 1 Wigan". BBC. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- "Toffees make winning habit stick". ESPN Soccernet. 26 November 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Τέλος από την Έβερτον ο Βέλλιος (in Greek). Sports 24. 11 May 2014.
- "Premier League Striker Joins". Blackpool F.C. 27 March 2014. Archived from the original on 1 September 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Team: Vellios Handed Debut". Blackpool F.C. 29 March 2014. Archived from the original on 1 September 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Vellios passe d'Everton au Lierse" (in French). dhnet.be. 16 July 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- Γκολ ο Βέλλιος με τη Νέων (in Greek). Bluearena.gr. 11 January 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Εθνική Νέων: Ελλάδα-ΠΓΔΜ 2–1 (in Greek). Ελληνική Ποδοσφαιρική Ομοσπονδία (Greek Football Federation). 11 January 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Νέα φιλική νίκη των Νέων επί της ΠΓΔΜ (in Greek). Contra.gr. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Εθνική Νέων: Ελλάδα-ΠΓΔΜ 3–0 (in Greek). Ελληνική Ποδοσφαιρική Ομοσπονδία (Greek Football Federation). 13 January 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Από τον Βέλλιο, στον... Βέλλιο! (in Greek). ΑΓΓΕΛΙΟΦΟΡΟΣ. 9 November 2009. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- Χρυσό το Αριστοτέλειο στο Πανελλήνιο Πρωτάθλημα Λυκείων (in Greek). Acadimies.gr. 18 March 2010. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- Κώστας Βέλλιος: Καψούρης με τον Ηρακλή ο Αποστόλης (in Greek). Metropolis radio website. 8 March 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- Βέλλιος: Πάντα στην καρδιά μου ο Ηρακλής (in Greek). Bluearena. 28 January 2011. Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- "Apostolos Vellios Stats". uk.soccerway.com. Soccerway. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Apostolos Vellios Stats". soccerbase.com. Soccerbase. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- Guardian Football
- Apostolos Vellios – UEFA competition record
- Premier League profile
- Apostolos Vellios profile at EvertonFC.com