|Headquarters||Santa Barbara, California, United States|
|Key people||Klaus Schauser, Chief Strategist
Jon Walker, CTO
Brian Donahoo, President & CEO
|Services||Software as a Service|
|Employees||250 (as of Aug 2013)|
AppFolio is a software company that specializes in software-as-a-service (SaaS) for vertical markets. Founded in 2007, AppFolio was the brainchild of Klaus Schauser and Jon Walker. Klaus was a professor of Computer Science at UCSB and founder of Expertcity/CitrixOnline. He was the visionary behind GoToMyPC, GoToAssist and GoToMeeting. Jon served as CTO of Versora and of Miramar Systems before starting AppFolio.
The name of the company is designed to reflect the companies vision of "building a portfolio of business applications for various different vertical markets."
AppFolio initially started in early 2007 after securing initial funding of $5 million in Series A from BV Capital to create Property Management Software. A year later, an additional $22 million of funding was obtained in a Series B funding led by BV Capital and Cisco. Less than 2 months after receiving the second round of funding, AppFolio released the first version of AppFolio Property Manager.
AppFolio Property Manager
The company's first product, AppFolio Property Manager (APM) is a web-based property management system. The software is designed for property managers to both market and manage their portfolio. It includes accounting and property management functionality with the ability to email work-orders, owner statements and resident communications. Additional features such as integrated marketing features allow users to post vacancy ads listing sites as well as their own personal website. AppFolio Property Manager also has a mobile application that interfaces with the software, giving property managers access to all resident, owner, property, unit, and vendor information.
MyCase is a web-based practice management software for lawyers. Built to address the number one complaint across all State Bar Associations, insufficient attorney/client communication, the software offers features that seamlessly cover all the daily functions that a modern law firm requires, including contact and case management, calendaring, time tracking, and billing. The software is also available through a mobile application for practice management on the go. MyCase was founded in 2010, and was acquired in 2012 by AppFolio.
SecureDocs is a flexible virtual data room solution that facilitates highly-secure and efficient document sharing and storage across a range of industries and functions. Companies typically use SecureDocs during fund raising events, M&A, audits, valuations, IP licensing, strategic partnerships, IPOs, and other critical legal, real estate or accounting transactions. SecureDocs is also used as an online corporate repository. The types of documents typically stored in an online data room (also called a virtual deal room) might include Articles of Incorporation, Partnership Agreements, stock grants, NDAs, employee and client contracts, CAP Tables, patents and financials. SecureDocs list of features includes audit logs, watermarking, multi-factor authentication, email notifications, permission-based user roles, SAS-70 certified data centers, indexing, and a simple user interface.
- "AppFolio Executive Team". AppFolio, Inc. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- McFadden, Kevin (9 September 2010). "AppFolio Stakes Out Territory in Field of Property Management Software". Noozhawk. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "AppFolio, Inc. Secures $5 Million in Series A Funding" (Press release). AppFolio, Inc. 20 February 2007. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Appfolio Raises $22M". SOCAL TECH LLC. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "AppFolio Received $22 Million for Property Management Software". Venture Capital Update. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "AppFolio, Inc. Announces Launch of AppFolio Property Manager" (Press release). AppFolio, Inc. 30 May 2008. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Product Features". AppFolio. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- Wood, Chris (23). "Multifamily Maintains Brisk Smart Phone App Deployment". Multifamily Executive 2011. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- Ambrogi, Robert. "MyCase App Will Let Both Clients and Lawyers Access Case Information". Law Sites Blog. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "MyCase Features". MyCase. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Our Story". MyCase. Retrieved 5 August 2013.