The applied arts are the application of design and decoration to everyday objects to make them aesthetically pleasing. The term is applied in distinction to the fine arts which aims to produce objects which are beautiful and/or provide intellectual stimulation. In practice, the two often overlap.
The fields of industrial design, graphic design, fashion design, interior design and the decorative arts are considered applied arts. In a creative and/or abstract context, the fields of architecture and photography are also considered applied arts.
Museums of Applied Arts
- Arts and Crafts movement
- Bauhaus Archive
- Die Neue Sammlung, Germany
- Leipzig Museum of Applied Arts, Germany
- Museum of Applied Arts (Belgrade), Serbia
- Museum of Applied Arts (Budapest), Hungary
- Museum für angewandte Kunst (Frankfurt), Germany
- Museum für Angewandte Kunst (Cologne), Germany
- Museum für angewandte Kunst Wien, Austria
- Museum of Contemporary Design and Applied Arts (MUDAC), Lausanne, Switzerland
- Powerhouse Museum, Sydney
- Stieglitz Museum of Applied Arts (Saint Petersburg), Russia
- Prague Museum of Decorative Arts (Prague), Czech Republic
- "applied art" in The Oxford Dictionary of Art. Online edition. Oxford University Press, 2004. www.oxfordreference.com. Retrieved 23 November 2013.