General View to the South-west
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Dominique Pallier|
|Area1||15.09 km2 (5.83 sq mi)|
|• Density||210/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||38013 / 38140|
|Elevation||371–773 m (1,217–2,536 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Apprelans or Apprelanes
Apprieu is located some 60 km east by south-east of Vienne and 12 km north-west of Voiron stretching along the southern slope of a hill originating from a moraine of Alpine glaciers from the last ice age. Access to the commune is by road D520 from Colombe in the west passing through the town and continuing east to La Murette. The A48 autoroute passes through the southern tip of the commune but has no exit until Exit 9 just to the west of the commune. Apart from the town there are also the hamlets of Plan Bois in the north-east and Le Rivier in the south. The commune north of the town is heavily forested while to the south is mostly farmland with forests to a lesser extent.
The Fure river follows the eastern and southern borders of the commune then flows south to join the Morge river at Le Port.
Party per Fesse, in first party per pale: 1 of Gules, a bee of Or; 2 of Gules, two keys the same posed saltirewise; in second Azure, a blast furnace proper masoned in Sable with open arch
List of Successive Mayors
(Not all data is known)
In 2009 the commune had 3,103 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Sites and Monuments
The Forges of Bonpertuis (1859) are registered as an historical monument.
The Gourju family settled in Apprieu in 1842 to restart the old forges of Bonpertuis known since 1569 and probably much earlier in the Carthusian period. Alphonse Gourju (ironmaster from Rives), Renage, and Brignoud from the valley of Gresivaudan installed a remarkable puddling furnace at Bonpertuis which is well preserved today. The tradition of ironworking was continued by the Experton family.
- Apprieu official website (French)
- Apprieu on Lion1906
- Apprieu on Google Maps
- Apprieu on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Aprieu on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Apprieu on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force in 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Apprieu.|