|Years active||1994–present|
Appukutty (born Sivabalan) is an Indian actor, who mainly appears in Tamil films. He became recognized following his performance in Vennila Kabadi Kuzhu. His role as Azhagarsami in Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai was praised by film critics and fetched him the National Film Award for Best Supporting Actor.
Appukutty hails from a village Nathan Kinaru in Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu. He moved to Chennai in 1994, initially in search of a job for survival only. He was working as a cleaner in hotels, when he was spotted by film personalities and received acting offers from them. He then began acting in small character roles. In an interview in 2011, he stated that he always wanted to be a comedian and that he had appeared in several minor roles for over 17 years, before gaining recognition in Suseenthiran's Vennila Kabadi Kuzhu. Suseenthiran went on to cast him in the lead role in his comedy drama film Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai (2011). For his performance in the film, Appukutty won the National Film Award for Best Supporting Actor, while the film was named the Best Popular Film Providing Wholesame Entertainment of 2011. In 2011 he also appeared in an important role in the film Kullanari Koottam and played a character role in Mohanlal's 300th film Snehaveedu. He is currently acting in Mannaru.
|2002||Solla Marandha Kadhai||Tamil||Uncredited cameo|
|2004||Ghilli||Assistant Samiyar at Velu's House||Tamil||Uncredited cameo|
|2007||Azhagiya Thamizh Magan||Gurukkal varrar vazhi vidungo||Tamil||Uncredited cameo|
|2007||Onbadhu Roobai Nottu||Tamil|
|2008||Raman Thediya Seethai||Uncredited cameo Role Workshop|
|2009||Vennila Kabadi Kuzhu||Appukutty||Tamil|
|2011||Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai||Azhagarsami||Tamil||National Film Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2013||Isaac Newton S/O Philipose||Karuppayya||Malayalam|
|2013||Moondru Per Moondru Kaadhal||Tamil|
|2013||Summa Nachunnu Irukku||Appukutty||Tamil|
- "From a cleaner to an actor". Deccan Chronicle. 2012-03-12. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- "Appu Kutty once again dons the lead role". Pluzmedia.com. 2011-09-21. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- "I always wanted to be a comedian: Appukutty - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2011-03-07. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- K. R. Manigandan (2012-03-08). "Arts / Cinema : Shot Cuts: Blessing in disguise". The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- "Tamil Cinema Scores At The National Film Awards - National Film Awards - Tamil Cinema - Tamil Movie News". Behindwoods.com. 2012-03-07. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- "Appukutty is in awe of Mohanlal !". Sify.com. 2011-10-09. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
|This article about an Indian actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|