From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Meanings of Apu 
The word "apu" has several possible meanings, depending on context:
- A god or supreme being. The spirit of the sacred mountain; the most powerful of all nature spirits.
- The sacred mountain that is home of the ancestors.
- A chief, boss, or figure of authority. One of four officials in charge of one of the four suyus of the empire. The four apukuna formed an imperial council for the Inca, and resided at court much of the time. The term has historically been used as an honorific, such as with Apu Qun Tiqsi Wiraqutra, and Atahualpa Apu-Inca.
- As an adjective: Mighty, powerful, rich, wealthy, supreme.
- A light being that exists within special mountains. These spirits live in both the middle and upper worlds, and can intercede for humanity.