Aquarion Evol title card
|Genre||Mecha, Romance, Science Fiction|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Shoji Kawamori, Yūsuke Yamamoto|
|Written by||Mari Okada|
|Music by||Yōko Kanno, Ayako Ōtsuka|
|Original run||January 8, 2012 – June 24, 2012|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Gene|
|Original run||January 14, 2012 – ongoing|
|Written by||Yasujiro Urayama|
|Illustrated by||Kana Ishida, others|
|Published by||MF Bunko J|
|Original run||April 25, 2012 – December 12, 2012|
Aquarion Evol (アクエリオンEVOL Akuerion Evoru?) is the sequel to the 2005 anime series Genesis of Aquarion. It was originally announced on February 25, 2011, by the production staff. It aired on TV Tokyo from January to June, 2012 and its premiere featured an hour-long special that combined the first two episodes in a single broadcast.
The story is set in the same universe as the original Genesis of Aquarion, and takes place twelve thousand years after. The protagonists live on a planet called Vega, while most of the antagonists originate from its "sister planet", Altair. The main character, Amata Sora, a young man that has kept his ability to fly a secret since youth, meets a girl named Mikono Suzushiro, and they become fast friends. However, invaders from Altair begin large-scale attacks against Vega, forcing Amata and Mikono into a long battle for the planet as members of an organization called Neo-DEAVA. There they, along with other young men and women called Elements who also possess special powers, are recruited to pilot giant robots called Aquaria in the defense of Vega.
Like the original, the themes of love, mutual understanding, and individual growth play an important role in the story, albeit in different ways. For example, a prohibition on romance is enacted on the members of Neo-DEAVA for the duration of the series. The main characters are again reincarnations of the legendary beings described in Aquarion, and much of the latter half of the series works to establish connections with the series' predecessor.
Twelve thousand years after the events of Genesis of Aquarion, mankind living on the planet Vega (ヴェーガ Vēga?) is threatened by a new enemy from the planet Altair (アルテア界 Arutea Kai?) whose female population was wiped out by a mysterious disease called the Curse of Eve (イヴの呪い Ivu no Noroi?). The Alteans using their "Abductors", just like the Shadow Angels, invade the cities in Vega to kidnap its female inhabitants, looking for a way to ensure the preservation of their race.
To defend against the invasion, the Neo-DEAVA (ネオ・ディーバ Neo Dība?) organization establishes two teams, one composed of only males and other of only females, each one piloting their own giant machines called "Aquaria". To protect their new friend Mikono, teenager Amata Sora makes use of the power he has kept in secret his entire life and by combining Vectors with male and female pilots into one single robot, the legendary giant Aquarion is reborn.
Aquarion EVOL, while a giant robot show at heart, focuses mostly on the characters and character development. Of its many themes, that of love is the most prominent. The restriction placed on the members of Neo-DEAVA that forbids love at the same time permits a real development in the characters' relationships from infatuation and teen romance to love. It also presents a different view of love held by characters of Altair, whose perceptions of it are warped by the current state of their planet - that of the complete extinction of women. The theme of love is explored further in a few other examples, such as a character from Neo-DEAVA and an Altair spy growing very attached to each other, and another character being forced to examine his own feelings after his love interest is transformed into a man. Overall, love and relationships between characters lead to them being able to at least partially understand each other.
While not as big a theme as romantic love in the series, family relationships are also explored. Three of the main characters - Amata, Mikono, and MIX - all have strained relationships with parents for various reasons, and each is forced to come to terms with what those relationships have produced. Amata's feeling of abandonment, Mikono's feelings of shyness, and MIX's moral opposition to her father's behavior are all explored through the relationships they have with each other.
As in the original Aquarion, reincarnation of people of myth and legend is a major theme. However, the series repeatedly undermines assumptions made by the viewers, especially those that have watched the original series. The many plot twists regarding the identity of the characters' reincarnations are brought to a head during their final battle.
Many staff members from the original Aquarion were brought back to work on this series; however, as the director Kawamori wished to create a series that didn't require viewers to have seen the original, many themes were reworked.
The main character designs were split between two designers: Chinatsu Kurahana, who worked on the male characters, and Ishida Kana, who was in charge of the female ones.
The Vectors are vehicles used by Neo-DEAVA to retaliate against the Abductors. There are three different kinds of Vectors making up a set for combinations. It is an Element user piloted vehicle capable of combining into Aquaria, and later Aquarion. Though armed, the damage done by the Vectors are minuscule and are only used for driving off or distracting enemies, or if the pilot is in a tight spot. In total, Neo-DEAVA is in possession of six different Vectors, two of each type with one set for the boys and one set for the girls initially, though in most sorties only one of each set is used at a time, with the other set serving as back-up. Distinction based on sex is abolished later when co-ed combinations are allowed later in the series, although one-set-only-sorties is still maintained.
- Vector Z (Zed) (ベクター ゼド Bekutā Zedo?): It forms the head of Aquarion Evol, and it resembles Vector Sol from the original series.
- Vector X (Ix) (ベクター イクス Bekutā Ikusu?): It forms the head of Aquarion Gepard, and it resembles Vector Mars from the original series.
- Vector Y (Silon) (ベクター シロン Bekutā Shiron?): It forms the head of Aquarion Spada, unlike the other two vector doesn't resemble the corresponding vector of the first series, the Vector Luna, but more like the Vector Sol.
Aquarion is a powerful robot formed from the combination of the three Vectors. Each combination of the Vectors produces a different Aquarion mode. Dubbed as Mechanical Angel (機械天使 Kikai Tenshi?) by the Altair.
- Aquarion Evol (アクエリオンEVOL Akuerion Evoru?): Aquarion Evol is the result of the combination of Neo-DEAVA's Vectors with Vector Z as the head. It shares many similarities with the original series' Solar Aquarion as it is the most balanced form, can sport and manifest the Solar Wings, and fights barehanded. The weapon located on its head can be used as a long range weapon as seen in one episode whilst battling the Radius Gnis Heavy Armor. It is shown that Donar Dantes, together with two other Element users whose names are unknown, were able to execute and use Aquarion Evol eight years prior to the events of the first episode. However, it went berserk and caused a tragic disaster, and according to Zen Fudo, this occurred because Aquarion was being piloted by two Elements in love with each other, one being Donar. Since the return of Aquarion it has been piloted almost exclusively by Amata, capable of the following special attacks:
- Flying Love Attack (触愛・天翔突 Furaingu Rabu Atakku?): Incorporates Amata's levitation power to grab its target and fly out of the atmosphere to slam its target into an asteroid.
- Mugen Attack (無限拳 Mugen Panchi?): Performs its own version of Solar Aquarion's signature move from the original series, extending its arm indefinitely to reach the enemy. Once it extends long enough to circle around the entire planet twice.
- Subliminal Punch (幻影明滅拳 Saburiminaru Panchi?): Incorporates Yunoha Thrul's Invisibility Element to refract an enemy barrage of lasers while launching a powerful punch.
- Absolute Clam (絶対封印 Abusoryūto Kuramu?): Incorporates Mix's spacial augmentation to fill in the gaps and vents in the enemies' weapons and armor, causing them to overload and explode.
- Super Dimensional Mugen Attack (超時空無限拳 Chōjikū Mugen Panchi?): A Mugen Attack cutting through space and time to hit its opponent while its pilots have visions of events that occurred in the original Aquarion series 12,000 years before.
- Cluster Mugen Attack (無限芭蕉実拳 Kurasutā Mugen Panchi?): A multiplied version of the Mugen Attack performed with multiple Elements boarding each Vector at the same time with Aquarion Evol growing extra fists on its right arm. The attack draws inspiration from bananas, which usually come in clusters.
- All Together Attack (三位一体拳 San'i Ittai Panchi?): Aquarion Evol deploys a Mugen Punch with both hands spiraling together, infused with Zessica's distortion and Kagura's reversal abilities.
- Aquarion Gepard (アクエリオンゲパルト Akuerion Geparuto?): Aquarion Gepard is the result of the combination of the Vectors where Vector X forms the head. It most resembles the original series' Aquarion Omega formation. Gepard is a mainly long-range assault mode, using guns and heavily armed with missiles and also has heavy armor, making it superior for defense. Its primary pilot is Cayenne Suzushiro, capable of the following special attacks:
- DOGEZA orz (平身低頭覇 Dogeza?): Aquarion flies into the sky and surrounds itself in flames before plummeting to the ground, ending up on a prostrating position in an allusion to the Japanese "orz" emoticon. Having little to no practical use in combat, Amata performed this move during a training exercise as an apology to Mikono who was angry with him at the time.
- Dimension Shutting Cannon (空間断絶砲 Dimenshon Shattingu Kyanon?): Assuming a four-legged configuration similar to Genesis of Aquarion 's Assault Type Aquarion's Armageddon Formation to perform this attack, incorporating Jin's power of isolation to close the portal between Vega and Altair.
- Curse of Malloy (脆弱力 Zeijakuryoku?): Incorporates Malloy's power of fragility to collapse all structures used as cover by its opponent in battle.
- Humicane from Rotten Girl (腐食力 Fushokuryoku?): Incorporates Sazanka's corroding power to rust metal.
- Bye-Bye Missiles (倍々増殖誘導弾 Bai-Bai Misairu?): Materializes multiple missile launchers to fire a huge barrage at enemies.
- Contrary Twister (超捻転 Chō Nenten?): By combining Zessica's distortion power with Malloy's power of fragility, it unleashes a tornado on the enemy.
- Tunnel Bullet (次元隧道弾 Tonneru Baretto?): Assume the same four-legged configuration used to fire the Dimension Shutting Cannon, this time incorporating Andy's power to create a dimensional portal opening a path from Vega to Altair.
- Aquarion Spada (アクエリオンスパーダ Akuerion Supāda?): Aquarion Spada is the result of the combination of the Vectors where Vector Y forms the head. It most resembles Aquarion Mars from the original Genesis of Aquarion, while also incorporating elements from Aquarion Luna. Spada is a close ranged mode armed with a sword that resembles an fencing épée and uses a part of Vector Y as a makeshift shield. This mode is presumably faster than the other 2 modes. Both shield and sword can be converted into a bow and an arrow respectively for a special ranged attack. Shrade Elan is usually shown to be its primary pilot, relying on his musical proficiency to push Aquarion Spada to its limits and perform super-fast attacks. Spada is the least used of the three combinations as it is the most difficult mode to use, capable of the following special attacks:
- Moonlight Requiem (月下葬送曲 Mūnraito Rekuiemu?): A series of powerful slashes with its sword.
- No Guard Attack (邪糾拳 Nō Gādo Atakku?): An attack with its right fist incorporating the three hand gestures of the rock-paper-scissors game in quick succession.
- Moonlight Rhapsody (月下狂詩曲 Mūnraito Rapusodi?): The combination of Amata, Andy, and Shrade's Element powers, making several spinning cuts while Aquarion Spada flies along.
- Black Hole Arrow (漆黒虚指弾 Burakku Hōru Arō?): Aquarion Spada's sword and shield turns into a bow and arrow, powered up by a nano black hole created by Andy to open a dimensional tear linking Altair and Vega.
- Cruxifixion Sword (磔刑斬撃剣 Kurushifikushon Sōdo?): Aquarion Spada uses its shield to crucify the enemy before powering up its sword and cut it in four with a vertical and a horizontal slash.
- For My Best Friends (神融奏 Fō Mai Besuto Furenzu?): Aquarion Spada transforms its sword into a tuning fork and uses it to stroke the string of the bow before firing it as an arrow to open a path to Altair.
- Aquarion Gepada (アクエリオンゲパーダ Akuerion Gepāda?): A special combination with vectors X and Y sharing the position of the head, created by the combined spirits of Gepard and Spada's main pilots Cayenne and Shrade, branding weaponries from both modes to perform its special attack.
- Trinity Requiem (奏聖葬送曲 Sōsei no Rekuiemu?): Aquarion Gepada powers its two main cannons and its sword to fire a triple energy beam.
The Aquaria (アクエリア Akueria?) are formations the Vectors made before Amata Sora managed to remove the seal between them, preventing the unification between members of opposite sex. Developed to both fight the Abductors and prevent the same disaster that befell the first time Aquarion Evol was formed, the Aquarias had proven themselves strong against ordinary Abductor forces, but ineffective against commander-type units like the Mithra Gnis. Only two models of Aquaria were created, the Aquaria Type-M piloted only by male Elements, and the female pilots-only Aquaria Type-F, both armed with automatic rifles and a missile pod on each shoulder. The Aquaria are based on the form of Aquarion Gepard, which is said to be the form of Aquarion that requires the least energy to maintain, permitting the formation of it, even with the interference of Guize Stones.
Legendary Aquarion (神話型アクエリオン Shinwagata Akuerion?) is the original Solar Aquarion which was buried into the earth's crust to prevent its ruin after the Tree of Life's collapse 12,000 years before. Since then, it replaced the Tree, maintaining the world's balance. When the Legendary Aquarion is unearthed and taken to Altair, the balance is broken and several natural disasters start occurring throughout Vega. Its only attack so far is the Genesys Mugen Attack (創聖無限拳 Sōsei Mugen Panchi?).
- Ancient Aquarion (エンシェントAQ Enshento Akuerion?): By using the life force of Altair, Mykage transforms it into his own variation, the Ancient AQ in his effort to destroy Vega and Altair, creating another world with him as its god. This variation is several times larger than the normal size, with the usual Aquarion being no larger than the size of this variation's hand.
- Infinite Palm of the Buddha (神来無限拳?): Ancient AQ creates uncountable Mugen Attacks, with the punches reaching the targets before being even deployed, reversing the laws of causality.
- Aquarion Love (アクエリオンLOVE Akuerion Rabu?): Created by Amata and Mikono by infusing Vector Z (transformed into Aquarion EVOL's head part) into the Ancient AQ. Its tears of joy upon their reunion replenishes the supply of water of Vega and Altair, evaporated during Mykage's attempt to destroy both worlds.
- Abductors (アブダクター Abudakutā?): The Abductors are Altair's spider-type harvesting mecha. It is equipped with weapons to defend itself.
- Mithra Gnis (ミスラ・グニス Misura Gunisu?): The Mithra Gnis is Kagura Demuri's personal unit that resembles a moth. It wields an axe that is only slightly shorter than the robot's total height. It can fly in Vega's atmosphere and it is also capable of being submerged underwater to prevent detection while it is not in use. It can also run and fight on all fours as a reflection of its user's animalistic behavior.
- Radius Gnis (ラディウス・グニス Radiusu Gunisu?): The Radius Gnis is Jin Muso's personal unit able to fire lasers at an extremely long range with very high precision. It can also deploy hovering glass spheres that reflect his laser guns' shots in any direction, rendering cover useless. It was destroyed by Aquarion Evol which made use of Yunoha's invisibility to phase through its lasers, when it was being remote controlled by Jin. However, he later assembles a stronger version with heavy armor and personally pilots it against Aquarion, but it ends up destroyed too, despite its pilot manages to survive.
- Ahura Gnis (アフラ・グニス Afura Gunisu?): Izumo's personal machine. It makes use of the six plates attached on its back to absorb and return all attacks back to the enemy with increased power. The plates can be arranged to form the "Altair Cannon", firing a powerful blast when infused with the energy of Ianthe.
- Mixy Gnis (ミクシィ・グニス Mikusi Gunisu?): MIXY's personal machine. With powerful U-shaped thrusters and machine gun turrets, it uses MIXY's Element ability to fill up holes on enemy armor in a fashion similar to the Absolute Clam attack performed by MIX while piloting Aquarion Evol.
- Cherubim Verazeva (ケルビム・ヴェルルゼバ Kerubimu Veruruzeba?): A non-manned mecha deployed by Mykage. Its the same cherubim used by Toma in the events of last episode in Genesis of Aquarion 12,000 years before.
Aquarion Evol first premiered on TV Tokyo on January 8, 2012 in a one-hour special featuring its two first episodes. Just like the original series, it is produced by studio Satelight and directed by Shoji Kawamori. It was announced at Supanova Melbourne 2012 that Madman Entertainment had acquired the series for English release. At Otakon 2012, Satelight had announced that Funimation (whom later confirmed) has licensed the series.
On April 25, 2012, a light novel adaptation of the anime, written by Yasujiro Uchiyama, began serialization by MF Bunko J, with illustrations by Kana Ishida, one of the anime's character designers.
- "Kimi no Shinwa ~ Aquarion Dai 2 Shou" (君の神話～アクエリオン第二章 Kimi no Shinwa ~ Akuerion Dai Ni Shō?, "Your Legend, Aquarion Chapter 2") by AKINO with bless4(ep. 3-15)
- "Paradoxical ZOO" (パラドキシカルZOO Paradokishikaru Zū?) by AKINO with bless4(ep. 16-26)
- "Gekkō Symphonia" (月光シンフォニア Gekkō Shinfonia?, "Moonlight Symphonia") by AKINO & AIKI of bless4
- "Yunoha no Mori" (ユノハノモリ?, "Yunoha's Forest") by Yui Ogura as Yunoha Thrul (ep. 15-25)
Several pieces of music from Genesis of Aquarion's original soundtrack are featured as insert songs, among brand new compositions.
- "Eve no Danpen" (イヴの断片 Ivu no Danpen?, "Fragment of the Eve") by AKINO from bless4 (ep. 4, 6, 11, & 17)
- "Omna Magni" (オムナ マグニ?, "I Can Fly") by Yui Makino (ep.7)
- "Go Tight!" by AKINO from bless4 (ep. 8)
- "Pride, Nageki no Tabi" (プライド〜嘆きの旅 Puraido ~ Nageki no Tabi?, "Pride, A Journey of Grief") by AKINO from bless4 (ep. 10, 18, & 24)
- "Aquaria Mau Sora" (アクエリア舞う空 Akueria Mau Sora?, "Skies of Aquaria") by The Member of LSOT (ep. 12, 19, & 24)
- "Kōya no Heath" (荒野のヒース Kōya no Hīsu?, "Heath of the Wastelands") by AKINO from bless4 (ep. 13)
- "Genesis of Aquarion" by AKINO from bless4, with English lyrics by bless4 (ep. 14, & 26)
- "Genesis of Aquarion" (創聖のアクエリオン Sōsei no Akuerion?) by AKINO from bless4 (ep. 16)
- "ZERO Zero" (ZERO ゼロ ZERO Zero?) by AKINO from bless4 (ep. 26)
As with the original series, Yoko Kanno composed the theme music and soundtracks. Gabriela Robin wrote the lyrics to both of the theme songs. The original soundtrack, Aquarion Evol: Psalms of Eve (アクエリオン EVOL イヴの詩篇 Akuerion Evoru Ivu no Shihen?), was released on May 23, 2012. An original album titled Love @ New Dimension, featuring all of the vocal tracks featured in Aquarion Evol with some new instrumentals by Kanno and new songs were released on July 25, 2012.
- "アクエリオンEVOL発表！｜アクリオンEVOL STAFF BLOG". 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Madman Announces New Acquisitions at Supanova Melbourne - News". Anime News Network. 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Funimation Licenses Aquarion Evol TV Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Aquarion Evol Anime Gets Manga Series - News". Anime News Network. 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "アクエリオンEVOL 1". MF Bunko J. 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Official website
- Official website on TV Tokyo
- Aquarion Evol (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia