|• Type||Village council|
|Name meaning||Possibly "The coiled-up snake"|
ar-Rihiya (Arabic: ريحيا) is a Palestinian town located six kilometers southwest of Hebron.The town is in the Hebron Governorate Southern West Bank. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, the town had a population of over 3,949 in 2007.
British Mandate era
In the 1922 census of Palestine conducted by the British Mandate authorities, 'Al Rihiyeh had a population 231, all Muslims This had increased slightly at the time of the 1931 census to 243 Muslims, in 38 houses.
In 1945 the population of Ar-Rihiya was 330 Arabs, who owned 2,659 dunams of land according to an official land and population survey. 136 dunams were plantations and irrigable land, 1,093 for cereals, while 25 dunams were built-up (urban) land.
- According to Palmer, 1881, p. 405, the name might also come from "A millstone", or "A plot of ground, about a mile square, above the water level".
- 2007 PCBS Census Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. p.119.
- Guérin, 1869, pp. 211 -212
- Conder and Kitchener, 1883, SWP III, p. 377
- Barron, 1923, Table V, Sub-district of Hebron, p. 10
- Mills, 1932, p. 33
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 50
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 94
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 144
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922 (PDF). Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1883). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 3. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Guérin, Victor (1869). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 1: Judee, pt. 3. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970), Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine, Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas (PDF). Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- SWP map 21, IAA
- SWP map 21, Wikimedia commons
- Welcome To al-Rihiya
- Ar Rihiya Village (Fact Sheet)
- Ar Rihiya Village Profile
- Ar Rihiya VillageArea Photo
- The priorities and needs for development in Ar Rihiya village based on the community and local authorities’ assessment