June 6, 1961|
Yerevan. Soviet Union
|Alma mater||Yerevan State University (MA)
Moscow Diplomatic Academy
NATO Defense College
Ara Papian (Armenian: Արա Պապյան; born June 6, 1961) is an Armenian lawyer, historian and diplomat. He served as the Ambassador of Armenia to Canada 2000 to 2006. He is currently the president of "Modus Vivendi" Center for Social Science.
Early years and education
Papian first graduated from the Yerevan State University in 1984 with bachelor's degree in history. In 1989, he obtained Master of Arts degree in history from the same university. Papian graduated from the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation in 1994 and the from the NATO Defense College in Rome in 1999.
Papian worked at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Armenia for many years, holding different positions. He worked as secretary and head of numerous departments of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He also worked in Tehran, Iran and Bucharest, Romania as secretary. Later he was appointed the spokesman and Head of Public Affairs Department. From 2000 to 2006 he was the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Armenia to Canada.
Later activities and vies
Ara Papian is an advocate of minority rights and has stated in his interviews that Armenia should assist nation-less ethnic groups (i. e. Talysh people, Lezgin people) in Azerbaijan to regain independence.
Ara Papian is founder and Head of the Modus Vivendi Center.
- (Armenian) (English) Ara Papian, Legal Bases for the Armenian Claims (Collection of Articles), 2008, Toronto.
- Arbitral Award of the President of the United States of America Woodrow Wilson: Full Report of the Committee upon the Arbitration of the Boundary between Turkey and Armenia, Washington, November 22, 1920, (Prepared with an Introduction and Indexes by Ara Papian), 2011, Yerevan.
- (Armenian) Ara Papian, HAYRENATIRUTYUN (Reclaiming the Homeland): Legal Bases for the Armenian claims and Related Issues (Collection of Articles), 2012, Yerevan.
- Papian, Ara (2009). Legal Bases for Armenian Claims (PDF). Yerevan: Modus Vivendi. p. 184.
- "ARA PAPIAN TO SPEAK AT 'ANC GRASSROOTS' PANEL ON TRANSNATIONAL JUSTICE". Armenian National Committee. 27 November 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Woodrow Wilson’s Arbitral Award the Best Solution, Says Ara Papian". Asbarez. 2 May 2011. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Հայաստանը պետք է Ադրբեջանին, որպես քաղաքական միավոր, տրոհի՝ համագործակցելով պետականազուրկ ազգերի հետ. Արա Պապյան. Tert.am (in Armenian). 15 June 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Staff of Modus Vivendi Center". Modus Vivendi Center. Retrieved 12 February 2014.