Arab Film Festival
|Arab Film Festival|
The Arab Film Festival (AFF) is a nonprofit organization that hosts the largest and longest-running independent Arab film festival in the United States. It is held in California each year in San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Jose, San Diego, and Berkeley.
The 17th Annual Arab Film Festival took place October 11 - November 17, 2013.
The Arab Film Festival was founded in the Bay Area in 1996 aiming to counter common stereotypes of Arabs shown in the media and provide opportunities for a new generation of Arab filmmakers to showcase their work. In addition to its annual Arab Film Festival, it also hosts individual screenings throughout the year.
Several prominent Arab-Americans have been involved with the Festival throughout the years, among them actor Tony Shalhoub and media critic Jack Shaheen. Both serve on its advisory board. The Festival is run by Executive Director Serge Bakalian.
Arab Film Festival Award winners
2012 Arab Film Festival Awards
- Outstanding Feature Film: Death for Sale by Faouzi Bensaidi, Morocco
- Outstanding Documentary Film: The Virgin, The Copts and Me by Namir Abdel Messeeh, France, Qatar
- Outstanding Short Documentary: Karama Has No Walls by Sara Ishaq, Yemen
- Outstanding Short Narrative Winner: Farewell Exile by Lamia Alami, Morocco
- Honorable Mention: Yamo by Rami Nihawi, Lebanon
- "16th ANNUAL ARAB FILM FESTIVAL COMES TO LA OCT 19 | Levantine Cultural Center". Levantinecenter.org. 2012-10-09. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "San Francisco, Berkeley, San Jose, Los Angeles". Arab Film Festival. 2012-09-17. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- Curiel, Jonathon. "New generation of Arab filmmakers probes cross-cultural tensions/Directors rooted in U.S. and Europe are drawing wide attention" 15 April 2003. Retrieved 21 August 2013. http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/New-generation-of-Arab-filmmakers-probes-2655411.php
- Stephen William Foster (1 January 2006). Cosmopolitan Desire: Transcultural Dialogues and Antiterrorism in Morocco. Rowman Altamira. pp. 45–. ISBN 978-0-7591-1024-3. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
... It was screened at the 9th Arab Film Festival, San Francisco (2005). On borders and boundaries as a more ...
- TIYM Publishing Company, Inc. (2005). Asian American Yearbook: A Unique Resource and Referral Guide for and About Asian Pacific Americans. TIYM Publishing Company, Incorporated. p. 186. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
ARAB FILM FESTIVAL 2 Plz. Ave. San Francisco. CA 94116 Dina Saba, Director/Founder Tel: (415) 564-1100 Email: ...
- Alan Allen (10 December 2007). A Noah's Ark of Recurring Celebration: San Francisco Annual Event History - Winners of the Human Race. Trafford Publishing. pp. 394–. ISBN 978-1-4669-8184-3. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
The mission of the Arab Film Festival (AFF) is to enhance public understanding of Arab culture 85 to provide alternative representations of Arabs that contradict the stereotypical images frequently encountered in the American mass media.
- Hamilton, Matt. "Arab Film Fest Spotlights Under-Exposed Genre." 23 October 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2013. http://www.neontommy.com/news/2012/10/arab-film-fest-spotlights-under-exposed-genre
- "AFF staff". Arab Film Festival. 2001-09-11. Retrieved 2013-08-16.