Araripina is a Brazilian municipality in the state of Pernambuco. Has an estimated population in 2009 of 79.877 inhabitants according with IBGE. Total area of 1.847,5 km² and is located in the state mesoregion of Sertão, at 622 meters above the sea level and 683 km West from the state capital, Recife. The exploration of gypsum (95% of the Brazilian reserves) and calcarium is the base of the local economy and at the hononymous microregion.
- State - Pernambuco
- Region - Sertao Pernambucano
- Boundaries - Ceará state (N); Ouricuri (S); Ipubi and Trindade (E); Piaui (W)
- Area - 1847.5 km2
- Elevation - 622 m
- Hidrography - Brigida River
- Vegetation - Caatinga
- Clima - Semi desertic ( Sertao)- hot and dry
- Annual average temperature - 22.4 c
- Main road - BR 232 and BR 316
- Distance to Recife - 683 km
The main economic activities in Araripina are based in extraction of gypsum and no metallic minerals; and primary sector especially creation of goats, donkeys, pigs and farms with beans, manioc and corn. Araripina is located in the microregion with its name, which contains 95% of the Brazilian reserves of Gypsum.
|Population||GDP x(1000 R$).||GDP pc (R$)||PE|
Economy by Sector 2006
|Primary sector||Secondary sector||Service sector|
|HDI (2000)||Hospitals (2007)||Hospitals beds (2007)||Children's Mortality every 1000 (2005)|
The main sports in Araripina is football which is represented by Araripina Futebol Clube, currently playing the Campeonato Pernambucano. Their stadium is known as Chapadão do Araripe which has 5000 seats.
- http://www.ibge.gov.br/home/estatistica/populacao/estimativa2009/POP2009_DOU.pdf IBGE Population 2009 Araripina, page 31
- Araripina 2007 GDP IBGE pág 29
- PE State site - City by city profile
|This Pernambuco, Brazil location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|