||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
16 June 1971|
Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu. India
|Main interests||indology, ecology, comparative mythology, evolution, Psychology|
Aravindan Neelakandan (Tamil: அரவிந்தன் நீலகண்டன், born 16 June 1971) is an Indian writer. Aravindan belongs to the post-socialist Indian thinkers of cultural evolutionism about Indian ethnogenesis. He is well known for his book Breaking India.
Aravindan Neelakandan was born on 16 June 1971 at Nagar Kovil, Tamil Nadu, India into an academic family. His paternal grandfather was a scholar well versed in the art of Varma ati (Tamil: வர்மக்கலை) of Siddha Marma science. His father N. S. Pillai is a respected Tamil scholar, and has retired as a professor from the Travancore Hindu College in Nagarkoil. His mother is a retired professor of Economics in the same college and was a student leader of anti-Hindi agitation.
Aravindan has started his academic life as a student of agricultural studies, and has masters degree in Psychology from Madras University and in Economics from Madurai Kamaraj University. He is now working with an ecological NGO called Vivekananda Kendra—Natural Resources Development Project—in Kanyakumari, at India's southern tip. His work involves research on traditional rural communities, as well as educating farmers on cost-effective technologies to boost their agricultural output. His personal library includes around 5,000 documents, including books, magazines, journals, and volumnious archives of media reports.
Aravindan began his public presence with his articles on science and Indology in the famous Tamil portal Thinnai.com. He was also a regular contributor of columns to UPI Asia. Apart from his published works, he continues to write columns also in famous Tamil portals Solvanam, Tamil Paper, and Thinnai. His works also appear in the Tamil website Tamil Hindu in which he is an editor. He is also a contributing editor at centreright.in.
Following is a selected bibliography of Aravindan's books in Tamil sorted by the year of first publication.
- 2011. Breaking India: Western Interventions in Dravidian and Dalit Faultlines (Co-authored with Rajiv Malhotra) Chennai: Kizhakku Publishers.
- 2010. Castes - New Revelations (Co-authored) Nagarkoil: Tamil Hindu Publications
- 2010. God, The Untrusty - The Dharmic Musings. Chennai: Kizhakku Publishers.
- 2010. Hindutva - A Simplified Introduction. Chennai: MiniMax, New Horizon Media Pvt. Ltd.
- 2009. The Wonder Fern Azolla (Co-authored with Dr. Kamalasanan Pillai)
- 2009. Discoursing the Cultural Heritage - A Compilation from the Dharmic Intellectual Movement (Co-authored). Nagarkoil: Tamil Hindu Publications
- 2004. God and 40 Hertz. Chennai: United Writers Publications
Following is a selected bibliography of Aravindan's books in English sorted by the year of first publication.
- 2011. Breaking India: Western Interventions in Dravidian and Dalit Faultlines (Co-authored with Rajiv Malhotra) India: The Amaryllis Publishers
- 2009: The Wonder Fern Azolla (Co-authored with Dr. Kamalasanan Pillai) - The book is also available in Hindi
Note: These are major publications. Aravindan also wrote many pamphlets, introductions, articles in various blogs, and many a letters to the editors. His works also can be found in any number of anthologies and collections in various websites.
Other writings available online
- The Grandly Ocean
- Writings in the Tamil Hindu site
- Science Writings in the Solvanam site
- Writings in the Thinnai portal