Arba Minch University
|Arba Minch University|
|Students||more than 20,000|
|Location||Arba Minch, Ethiopia|
Arba Minch University is a research university located in Arba Minch, Ethiopia, about 500 km south of Addis Ababa. Officially inaugurated in 2004, it is one of the top widely recognized universities in Ethiopia. The university's 2004/05 academic year enrollment is over 6,600, placing it among the top largest universities in the country. It is founded on 2 square kilometres of land, at the eastern foot of the Gamo mountains and adjacent to the vast low lying land stretching towards Lake Abaya which is part of the East African Rift valley.
Arba Minch University is a non-denominational university which offers undergraduate and graduate programs. Before its inauguration as a University, it was known as Arba Minch Water Technology Institute (AWTI) offering a qualified course in water resources planning, design and development. AWTI was established in 1986 with the objective of creating a skilled and qualified manpower vital for the effective utilization and exploitation of water resources for various aspects of national development. The Alumni has found wide acceptance within the country and abroad. Due to the recurrent problems of food insecurity and increase in magnitude and complexity of the poverty situation, there has been a long felt need of creating qualified manpower in the area of irrigation and hydraulics/hydropower, watershed management and hydrology so that the available water resources can be developed, managed and utilized without undue dependence on foreign assistance.
Arba Minch University was officially inaugurated in June 2004. During this time, it comprised four faculties, one institute and one school. It is expected that with the ongoing expansion a number of faculties and programs will be opened and the enrollment capacity will increase to over 10,000 by 2010.
College and institutes
The University consists of the following academic units:
- Arba Minch Inistitute of Technology [ AMIT ]
- Architecture and Urban Planning
- Hydraulics Engineering (including M.Sc.)
- Irrigation Engineering (including M.Sc.)
- Water and Environmental Engineering (including M.Sc.)
- Civil and Urban Engineering (including M.Sc)
- Electrical Engineering (including M.Sc.)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science (including M.Sc.)
- Information Technology
- College of Natural Sciences
- Biology (including M.Sc.)
- Chemistry (including M.Sc.)
- Mathematics (including M.Sc.)
- Meteorology and Hydrology (including M.Sc.)
- Sport Science
- College of Business and Economics
- Accounting And Finance
- Economics (including M.A.)
- Tourism Management
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Public Health (including M.Sc.)
- College of Social Science and Humanities
- History & Natural Heritage
- sociology and social Anthropology
- English language and Literature (including M.Sc.)
- Ethiopian Languages and Literature [ Amharic ]
- Geography and Environmental studies (including M.Sc.)
- Civics and Ethical Studies
- Pedagogical Unit
- College of Agricultural Sciences
- Plant Science
- Animal Science
- Rural Development and agricultural Extension
- Natural Resources
Arba Minch University has a mission of promoting democratic thinking, offering high quality education and training, conducting demand driven and problem solving research and consultancy, and rendering community service in order to contribute to the development endeavors of the country.
As part of Arba Minch University's expansion, several construction projects have recently been completed on campus, and many more are in the process of being completed. The construction is designed by world top engineers who they took second degree from Arba Minch university.
Student life and residences
At Arba Minch University there are a number of services providing for the needs of students. Currently all students in the regular program are accommodated on campus. Expansion of dormitories has been carried out recently. Students actively participate in departmental and intercollegial sports tournaments. The university provides various indoor and outdoor sports facilities.