Arbuthnot Road is a thoroughfare in Hong Kong's Central District. The road begins at the site of the former colony's first official home of the British justice, the Central Magistracy. The Central Magistracy, located at No. 1 Arbuthnot Road, is a declared monument of Hong Kong. The road ends at the Botanical Gardens of Hong Kong.
Most of the roads built and declared at the outset in Colonial Hong Kong in 1841 were quite close to the waterline. The Magistracy was not establlished until 1847 and the land on which it was built was more or less unoccupied. Arbuthnot Road is rather steep and inclined, and runs between Hollywood Road and Caine Road, which was not named until 1859. It is likely that it was not named or created until the 1850s or later; it was named after George Arbuthnot.
Arbuthnot Road is a tourist destination for housing one of Hong Kong's declared heritage landmarks, the Former Central Magistracy and also has a number of restaurants. It is a short distance from other tourist attractions, including:
- No. 1: Hong Kong Police Club, former Central Magistracy
- No. 2: Cafe O, Ovolo Hotel
- No.s 3-5a: Universal Trade Centre including the Orthodox Metropolitanate of Hong Kong and South-East Asia and the St Luke Cathedral of Hong Kong
- No.s 4-8: Philia Lounge
- No.s 4-8: G/F La Kasbah (North African Food), 1/F Wild Grass (Western Restaurant)
- No.s 4-8: SK serviced apartments
- No. 10: Chez Moi (French restaurant)
There are several ways to access Arbuthnot Road other than taxi, including:
- MTR Central Station, Exit "D1"
- Public bus, route no. 12M, 13, 23A and 40M
- Green light bus, route no. 10A & 10B
Car park, 2 car parks located at Arbuthnot Road include:
- The Centrium, 10-12 Arbuthnot Road
- Universal Trade Centre, 3 Arbuthnot Road
- Discover HongKong - Heritage - Declared Monuments
- Frank H. H. King (January 1988). The History of the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation: Volume 1, The Hongkong Bank in Late Imperial China 1864-1902: On an Even Keel. Cambridge University Press. p. 107. ISBN 0-521-32706-7.
- Official website, Ovolo Hotel - 2 Arbuthnot Road
- Official website, Orthodox Metropolitanate of Hong Kong and South-East Asia
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arbuthnot Road.|