||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2014)|
|An HP Company|
|Industry||Computer software, Cyber security management, Enterprise software|
|Fate||Acquired by Hewlett-Packard|
|Headquarters||Sunnyvale, California, USA|
HP ArcSight is a cyber security company founded in 2000 that provides big data security analytics and intelligence software for security information and event management (SIEM) and log management solutions. ArcSight solutions help customers identify and prioritize security threats, organize and track incident response activities, and simplify audit and compliance activities. May 2013 marked the 10th consecutive year that Gartner Magic Quadrant for SIEM rated ArcSight in the leader’s quadrant. It became a subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard in 2010. HP ArcSight, headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, USA, with sales offices in other countries.
ArcSight was incorporated in May 2000. Silicon Valley Internet Capital, a small investment firm founded by Robert Shaw, was the initial lead investor. Alex Daly was the founding CEO, who was previously CEO of Cygnus Solutions, acquired by Red Hat. Hugh Njemanze was the founding CTO. Pravin Kothari was the founding Vice President of Engineering. ArcSight originally was called Wahoo Technologies, while it was a stealth mode startup.
The original business plan was to build a caching and acceleration platform, though, after getting feedback from prospective customers, the founders shifted their strategy to provide security events analysis and correlation. The company was formally named ArcSight in January 2001.
In July 2001, Alex Daly, the founding CEO, ceased working for ArcSight due to health issues, but kept his 10.30% stake in the company as major shareholder. Robert Shaw stepped up to take the position of CEO.
Kleiner Perkins and In-Q-Tel, the US Central Intelligence Agency’s venture-capital arm, became investors via second and third rounds in 2002. Other early investors included Integral Capital Partners, Institutional Venture Partners, New Enterprise Associates, and Samsung Ventures. ArcSight filed for initial public offering on September 11, 2007 and offered its shares on February 14, 2008 under symbol ARST. It was the only Silicon Valley company to enter Nasdaq in 2008, during the Great Recession when few other technology companies went public. Tom Reilly was appointed as CEO in 2008. Robert Shaw retired effective October 1, 2008, citing health reasons.
In September 2010, Hewlett-Packard (HP) announced an agreement to acquire ArcSight for approximately $1.5 billion. On October 22, 2010, it completed its acquisition. ArcSight said it had more than a thousand customers at that time.
- HP ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager (ESM): Analyzes different threats within a database and correlates the vulnerabilities based on risk level
- HP ArcSight Express: Analyzes threats within a database and correlates the vulnerabilities on a smaller scale than ESM
- HP ArcSight Logger: Streams real-time data and categorizes them into specific logs
- HP ArcSight Management Center (ArcMC): Manages large deployments of HP ArcSight Loggers, other ArcMCs and connectors through a single consolidated view 
- ThreatDetector: Detect unknown threats and attacks using data visualization and analytics 
- ThreatResponseManager (TRM): Integrated end-to-end network and security event monitoring solution that reduces threats triggered across ESM, Express, and RepSM 
- Risk Insight: Enables organizations to understand the business impact of real-time threats detected by ESM 
- ArcSight IdentityView: A more In depth view of what specific users on a database are doing at any given time
- Compliance Insight Packages: Establishes a compliance baseline; then measures, manages and reports against deviations 
- Timothy Prickett Morgan (September 12, 2010). "HP eyes $1.46bn ArcSight security buy: Hey, Dell. Wanna bid higher?". The Register. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "HP ArcSight is named in leaders quadrant in Gartner 2013 SIEM report, 10 years in a row and counting".
- "SVIC Founder and CEO Robert W. Shaw Joins Zero-Knowledge Systems' Board of Directors". Press release. February 13, 2000. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Alex Daly (June 1, 2000). "Njemanze Job Offer". Sample Business Contracts. Onecle. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Executive Profile. Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "Prospectus". Form S-1. US Securities and Exchange Commission. December 7, 2007. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Who Is a Big Fan of ArcSight? The CIA
- cnnmoney.com: "Early investor secures big profit on ArcSight sale." September 13, 2010.
- silicontap: "ArcSight Prices IPO." February 14, 2008.
- San Jose Business Journal: “Grierson helped lead ArcSight, valley's only IPO of 2008.” Tanner. Nov. 2009
- MarketWire: “ArcSight Promotes Tom Reilly to be CEO in 2008."
- “HP To Acquire ArcSight.” Sept. 13, 2010
- HP to Acquire ArcSight Sept. 13, 2010
- HP News Release. "HP Completes Acquisition of ArcSight." Oct. 2010
- San Jose Mercury News. “Hewlett-Packard completes $1.5B ArcSight acquisition.” Russell. October 2010
- geek.com: "HP buys security software vendor ArcSight for $1.5 billion." September 14, 2010.
- HP http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software-solutions/software.html?compURI=1340541#tab=TAB1. Retrieved 1 July 2014. Missing or empty
- HP http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software-solutions/software.html?compURI=1418958#.U6m8wPldVhl. Retrieved 1 July 2014. Missing or empty
- HP http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software-solutions/software.html?compURI=1418952#.U6m6Q_ldVhk. Retrieved 1 July 2014. Missing or empty
- HP http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Security-Products-Blog/HP-introduces-HP-ArcSight-Risk-Insight-a-heatmap-for-SIEM/ba-p/6207973#.U6nAM_ldVhk. Retrieved 1 July 2014. Missing or empty
- HP - .U6m6PvldVhk http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software-solutions/software.html?compURI=1340221 - .U6m6PvldVhk. Retrieved 1 July 2014. Missing or empty
- ArcSight Website
- ArcSight Product
- Enterprise Security
- HP Software official site
- HP Protect 2014
- HP ArcSight Protect 724 Community
- ArcSight RSS
- BizJournals ArcSight Company Profile