|Predecessors||Starz Animation (2006-2011)
DKP Studios (1990-2004)
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
Arc Productions, formerly known as Starz Animation Toronto, is a Canadian animation and visual effects studio based in Toronto, Ontario. It is majority owned by a Canadian investor group, with former owner Starz Media as a minority stakeholder. The studio is best known for its work on animated feature films 9 and Gnomeo & Juliet.
In 2004, U.S. animation producer IDT Corp. purchased the studio from the founders of DKP studios. IDT had already acquired in 2003 controlling interest of Film Roman and Anchor Bay Entertainment Group. After the purchase by IDT, the studio moved again to 230 Richmond Street East.
On May 26, 2006, Starz Media's parent company Liberty Media bought IDT Entertainment from IDT, including Anchor Bay Entertainment and Film Roman. Under its new management in 2007, the studio began a "Starz Shortz" program which has produced Bundle of Joy, Enter the Sandbox, Ormie and Lovebirds. In 2007, Starz Animation took over animating Shane Acker's feature 9 from Attitude Studio, Luxembourg. In 2010, the studio opened a major VFX wing to create all the effects for the new Starz Channel/Graham King Productions miniseries, Camelot, Alcon Entertainment's Dolphin Tale, and producer Avi Arad's family feature, Robosapien: Rebooted.
In April 2011, the Starz Animation was sold to a Canadian consortium, and renamed itself to Arc Productions. Under the new owner, the studio plans to do more proprietary production.
- Thomas & Friends: Tale of the Brave (2014)
- "Lego Marvel Super Heroes: Maximum Overload" (2013)
- The Legends of the Underzoo (TBD)
- The Canterville Ghost (TBD)
- Ormie (TBD) (co-production with Alcon Entertainment)
- OZ3D (TBD) (working title, based on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
- Thomas & Friends: King of the Railway (2013)
- Thomas & Friends (2013–present)
- Robosapien: Rebooted (2013)
- Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn (2012) (provided visual effects)
- Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse (2012-present)
- Dolphin Tale (2011)
- Camelot (2011) (TV)
- Gnomeo & Juliet (2011)
- Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil (2011)
- The Simpsons ("Condiments" sequence) (2011)
- Matt Hatter Chronicles (2011)
- Yes, Virginia (2009) (TV)
- 9 (2009)
- Chop Socky Chooks (2008) (TV)
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie (2008)
- VeggieTales (2006–2008)
- "Starz Animation Toronto Sold to Canadian Investor Group". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "DKP acquired by U.S. animator". Playback Magazine. March 29, 2004. Retrieved August 27, 2011.
- "Liberty Media to acquire IDT Entertainment". IDT. May 16, 2006. Archived from the original on 23 July 2011. Retrieved August 27, 2011.
- Lacey, Liam (March 24, 2011). "Animation company aims for 3D without nausea and headaches". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved August 27, 2011.
- "New Starz studio busy on Burton's 9". Playback Magazine. Retrieved 2007-09-17.
- Vlessing, Etan (April 13, 2011). "Starz Animation Studio Renamed Arc Productions". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 27, 2011.
- "Lego Marvel Super Heroes: Maximum Overload".
- Tayrona, Arc team on animated features
- Arc Productions Closes Financing Deal With Dorado Media
- Zahed, Ramin (September 9, 2011). "Alon, Arc to Make 'Ormie' Movie". Animation Magazine. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- "STARZ ANIMATION TORONTO, MULTIPLE MEDIA ENTERTAINMENT, AND GIGAPIX STUDIOS ANNOUNCE THE COMMENCEMENT OF PRODUCTION OF AN ADAPTATION OF L. FRANK BAUM'S "THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ"". PR Newswire. April 6, 2011. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- Zahed, Ramin (February 6, 2012). "Arc is on Board HIT's 'Thomas & Friends'". Animation Magazine. Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- "King of the Railway (Thomas and Friends)". Barnes & Noble. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- Arc to Provide Visual Effects for Halo 4
- Vlessing, Etan (June 6, 2011). "Arc To Animate 3D TV For Platinum and Endemol". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 20, 2013.
- Official website
- Arc Productions at the Internet Movie Database
- Arc Productions at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Starz Animation at the Internet Movie Database
- Starz Animation at the Big Cartoon DataBase