Arcata High School
||This school-related article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2010)|
|Arcata High School|
|1720 M Street
Arcata, California 95521
|School type||Public high school|
|Vice principal||Jim Monge|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Color(s)||Black and Orange|
Arcata High School was established in the late 19th century.
The total student population as of 2012-2013 was 827 with 29% male and 48% female. As of 2010, the school had an ethnic makeup of 93.6% Caucasian, 2.5% Latino, 13.9% Native American, 3.0% Asian-American, 1.6% African-American, 1.0% Pacific Islander, and 0.8% Filipino. 29% of the students are socioeconomically disadvantaged, 1.0% are English learners, and 13.5% have disabilities.
Arcata High School has an Advanced Placement program for those who wish to gain college credit and take more advanced classes.
The high school contains both a charter school and continuation school on campus, Six Rivers Charter High School and Pacific Coast High respectively.
The average class size is 26, textbooks and instructional materials are provided by the school.
All the teachers at Arcata High have a full teaching credential. 59% of students pass the English-language portion of the California High School Exit Exam and 56% pass the mathematics section. As of 2010[update], the school had an API rating of 760.
Students at Arcata High are also given the opportunity to earn college credit by taking classes at the nearby Humboldt State University.
Arcata High School has a number of special programs through the Arcata Arts Institute, which helps students with a particular interest in the arts (music, dance, acting, etc.) to pursue their interests, a Madrigal Choir, and the ARMACK Orchestra, conducted by Carol Jacobson.
As part of the Northern Humboldt Union High School District, Arcata High School is closely affiliated with the only other public high school in the district, McKinleyville High School, and groups such as the orchestra and the jazz band, as well as some drama productions combine students from the schools.
In fall of 2007 all four choir members who tried out for the California State Honor Choir were accepted.
Arcata is part of the Humboldt-Del Norte League of the CIF North Coast Section (NCS). The school fields a varsity team for every sport NCS offers.
- Art Club - Participate in the arts
- Chess Club - Play chess, hold tournaments.
- CSF (California Scholarship Federation) - Service and scholastic achievement
- Drama Club - Participate in drama activities and theatrical performances
- National FFA Organization (Future Farmers of Amrica) - Leadership and personal growth in agricultural education
- French Club - Fun participation in French language and culture
- French Honor Society - Scholastic achievement in the French language
- German Club - Fun participation in German language and culture
- Interact Club - Community Service
- National Honor Society - Service and scholastic achievement
- QSA (Queer-Straight Alliance) - Promote tolerance and understanding of LGBTQ
- Ski Club - Go skiing and snowboarding
- Spanish Club - Participation in Latin American language and culture
- Spanish Honor Society - Scholastic achievement in the Spanish language
- German Honor Society - Scholastic achievement in the German language
- Associated Student Body - Student government
- Green club - A club focused on sustainability in the school and community. Promoting recycling, composting, and helping the environment.
- Girl Effect - Focused on bringing awareness and funds to girls' education in developing countries.
- Ska Club - Musical club
- Chris Hesse, drummer from the rock band Hoobastank
- Medal of Honor recipient James Allen Taylor graduated in 1954 or 1955
- Christa Johnson, LPGA professional golfer.
- Geoffrey Owens, an actor best known as Elvin Tibideaux in The Cosby show
- Arcata High School, Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accreditation, 2012-2013
- EESARC 2010-2011 Executive Summary School Accountability Report Card, 2010–11 For Arcata High, School Accountability Report Card, 2010-2011
- Playing With Knives: Chris Hesse of Hoobastank
- Taylor, James Allen, MOH Citation, 2013
- Christa Johnson, LPGA Tour
- Geoffrey Owens Talks About Growing Up, The Cosby Show, and Life Now