ArchBang Linux 2013.07.07
|Company / developer||Stan McLaren|
|Source model||Free and open source software|
|Latest release||(Rolling release) / Installation Live Media 2014.03.01|
|Marketing target||General purpose|
|Supported platforms||i686, x86-64|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||Openbox|
|License||GNU General Public License|
ArchBang Linux is a simple lightweight rolling release Linux distribution based on a minimal Arch Linux system with the Openbox window manager. ArchBang is especially suitable for high performance on old or low-end hardware with limited resources. ArchBang's aim is to provide a simple out-of-the-box Arch-based Linux distribution with a pre-configured Openbox desktop suite, adhering to Arch principles.
ArchBang has also been recommended as a fast installation method for Archlinux for people who have experience installing Arch but want to avoid the more demanding default installation of Arch Linux when reinstalling it on another PC.
Inspired by CrunchBang Linux, ArchBang was originally conceived and founded in a forum thread posted on the CrunchBang Forums by Willensky Aristide (a.k.a. Will X TrEmE). Aristide wanted a rolling release with the Openbox setup that Crunchbang came with. Arch Linux provided the light configurable rolling release system that was needed as a base for the Openbox desktop. With the encouragement and help of many in the CrunchBang community, and the addition of developer Pritam Dasgupta (a.k.a. sHyLoCk), the project began to take form. The goal was to make Arch Linux look like CrunchBang.
As of April 16, 2012, the new project leader is Stan McLaren.
Archbang is available as an i686 or x86-64 ISO file for live CD installation or installed on a USB flash drive. The Archbang live CD is designed to allow the user to test the operating system prior to installation.
ArchBang comes with a modified Arch Linux graphical installation script for installation and also provides a simple, easy to follow, step by step installation guide.
- Live media
- Justin Pot. "ArchBang Is Lightweight & Always Up To Date". MakeUseOf. Retrieved 2011-06-10.
- Lucian Parfeni. "ArchBang 2011.09 Includes the Linux 3.0.4-1 Kernel". Softpedia. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
- Marius Nestor. "ArchBang Linux 2011.11 Is Now Available". Softpedia. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "The Arch Way".
- "Arch Linux Wiki entry for ArchBang".
- ArchBang Brings Arch Linux’s Greatest Features to Your PC Without the Stressful Installation
- Crunchbang Forums
- ArchBang thread on CrunchBang
- ArchBang new project leader
- Chris von Eitzen. "ArchBang Linux 2011.01 brings new look". The H-Online. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ArchBang Installation ArchBang Installation
|This Linux distribution–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|