|Parent company||Boom! Studios|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Hollywood, California|
|Key people||Stephen Christy - Editor-in-Chief 2010-2013|
|Publication types||Comic books, Books|
Archaia formerly known as Archaia Studios Press is an imprint of comic book and graphic novel publisher BOOM! Studios.
Archaia Entertainment, LLC was originally an American comic book publishing company established by Mark Smylie in 2002. On June 24, 2013, Archaia was merged into BOOM! Studios and became a wholly owned imprint.
Mark Smylie formed the company as a home for his comic book series Artesia. The original Artesia publisher, Sirius Entertainment, published the first 6 issue mini-series "Artesia" in 1999 and the second 6 issue mini-series "Artesia Afield" in 2000 in full color. But in an attempt to keep costs down, Sirius wanted to print the third series "Artesia Afire" in black and white. Smylie decided to take his series back from the publisher and open his own publishing outfit to finance the full color publication of the third series.
In April 2006 the company announced they would be expanding their publishing to encompass projects from third parties that were not created by original founder Mark Smylie. "It wasn't long - out of equal parts necessity and entrepreneurialism - before the New Jersey based painter realized that simply putting out his own work, regardless of how critically acclaimed it was, simply wouldn't be enough, and, along with business partner Aki Liao, began actively searching for both new and existing material to publish under the Archaia banner." The first three titles were Mouse Guard, Robotika and The Lone and Level Sands.
In May 2008 Smylie announced they would be restructuring to address late-shipping books. Aki Liao, ASP's co-publisher, decided to depart from the company for personal reasons. "We want to make sure we come out of the reorganization with a better workflow and solicitation process model," Smylie said. "We also want to make sure we emerge in the next few months from our reorganization with a release schedule that we can hit on a regular basis, as guaranteed as possible." 
Bought by Kunoichi in October 2008, Archaia Studios Press was relaunched in 2009 as simply Archaia. Smylie was installed as Publisher while Stephen Christy was brought aboard as Director of Development. Kunoichi principal P.J. Bickett took over as CEO. In April 2010 Christy was named the company's Editor-in-Chief.
Comics published by Archaia Studios Press include:
Archaia has also published a role-playing game based on Artesia:
- 2003: Artesia: Winner of ForeWord Magazine’s Best Graphic Novel.
- 2006: Artesia: Adventures in the Known World: Winner Origins Award Role-Playing Game of the Year.
- 2008: Nominated for "Best U.S. Edition of International Material" Eisner Award, for The Killer.
Two comics series were optioned for adaptation into films early on: The Killer and Starkweather. These were later joined by Tumor. In March, 2012, Warner Bros. announced it has picked up Sean Rubin’s upcoming graphic novel Bolivar for an intended animated feature film. Irish filmmaker Kealan O’Rourke has been attached to write and direct the project. Akiva Goldsman and Kerry Foster will produce the film through their Weed Road company.
The graphic novel Rust was also picked up by Fox. It has Aline Brosh McKenna attached to write and Simon Kinberg to produce.
- Yamato, Jen (June 24, 2013). "BOOM! Studios Acquires Archaia; Comics Merger Creates Indie IP Mega-Library"' Deadline.com
- Moran, David (April 24, 2006). "Talking with Archaia Studios Press' Mark Smylie"' Comic Book Resources
- Archaia Studios Press Update on Restructuring, Delays
- Archaia Studios Press To Be Acquired by Kunoichi, Inc., Not Devil's Due, Comic Book Resources, October 8, 2008
- Archaia: Back In Business, Publishers Weekly, October 8, 2008
- Chicago's PJ Bickett teams with Jim Henson's company at Comic Expo, Crain's, March 17, 2011
- C2E2: Archaia - Announcements Galore! New Series, Digital, Newsarama.com, April 19, 2010
- Boom! Studios Acquires Archaia Entertainment
- 2008 Eisner Award Nominees Named (press release), Newsarama, April 14, 2008
- "The Killer" movie by Paramount
- Minovitz, Ethan (7 March 2012). "WB picks up "Bolivar" novel for animated feature". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Rust Movie" at hollywoodreporter.com
- Official website
- Archaia Studios Press at the Comic Book DB
- Days Missing #01-05 Spanish Review @ kopodo
- Awakening writer Nick Tapalansky and artist Alex Eckman-Lawn talk to comiXology
- Matz talks about the Killer on It Came Out on Wednesday from comiXology
- An interview with the creators of The Long Count comic from Archaia Studios on the Comic Geek Speak podcast