Archana Puran Singh
|Archana Puran Singh|
Archana at Comedy Circus Ka Jadoo Grand Finale
|Born||Archana Puran Singh
26 September 1962
Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India
|Occupation||Actress, Reality television judge|
Archana Puran Singh (born 26 September 1962) is an Indian television presenter, personality and film actress. She is most known for comedy roles in Bollywood movies and as a judge on comedy shows, like Sony TV India's Comedy Circus. Puran Singh became popular when she played inconic comic roles of Miss Briganza in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Preeto in Mohabbatein and lately Zohra in Bol Bachchan going through the role of Priyanka Chopra's boss in Krrish. Archana Puran Singh has been judging the television reality comedy show known as Comedy Circus since 2006 and is the only judge to have appeared in all episodes.
In Mumbai, she started doing ad-films and was successful after her most famous ad for Band-Aid. The ad was produced by Jalal Agha. Noticing her talent he cast her in the lead role in his serial, Mr and Mrs. Her next big break came with Pankaj Parasher's Karamchand.
She made her film debut in 1987, in Jalwa opposite Naseeruddin Shah. Although it was a big hit, Archana failed to catch the eye of the leading producers and directors; she received offers mainly for B-grade movies most of which were short on content and more on soft porn. Later, she did small roles in big banner films like Agneepath (1990), Saudagar (1991), Shola aur Shabnam (1992), Aashiq Awara (1993), and Raja Hindustani (1996); she did item songs in films like the Govinda-starrer thriller Baaz and Suniel Shetty starrer Judge Mujrim.
Thereafter, she has largely restricted herself to supporting roles in Hindi films, often in comedies. Some of her recent films include Love Story 2050, Mohabbatein, Krrish, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Masti and Bol Bachchan. Amongst these, she is possibly best remembered for essaying the role of the flirtatious college professor Miss Braganza in the blockbuster Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Preeto from the blockbuster movie Mohabbatein . In 2009 she starred in the Punjabi film Tera Mera Ki Rishta.
She became a television anchor, with her popular TV show Wah, Kya Scene Hai on Zee TV in 1993, which was followed by the highly successful, Uncensored, in which she introduced High Society (HS) and Low Society (LS) concept, and sitcoms like, Jaane Bhi Do Paro, Shrimaan Shrimati and Archana Talkies on Sony TV India.
Later in her career, she received offers from television producers and most of her serials were successful like Junoon and Shriman Shrimati. She started hosting chat shows featuring celebrity guests.
In 2006, she and her husband hosted another dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa (season 1).
Thereafter, she appeared as a judge on comedy shows, including Sony TV India's Comedy Circus. She appeared as a judge in Comedy Circus (season 1) (2006) and Comedy Circus (season 2) (2008). In January 2008, she hosted Kaho Na Yaar Hai on Star Plus, along with her husband, Parmeet Sethi. With the end of Comedy Circus (season 2) in September 2008, it was followed by another show, Comedy Circus – Kaante Ki Takkar. After Comedy Circus – Kaante Ki Takkar, she was the judge of Comedy Circus – Teen Ka Tadka, Comedy Circus Ke Superstar, Comedy Circus Ka Jaddo, Jubilee Comedy Circus and Comedy Circus Ke Taansen. Comedy Ka Naya Daur-Tabla toad, Kahaani Comedy Circus Ki and the current "Comedy Circus Ke Ajoobe" and Comedy Circus Ke Mahabali. She is currently appeares in SAB TV's The Great Indian Family Drama as Begum Paro.
She is married to actor Parmeet Sethi and they have two children, Aaryamann and Ayushmaan.
- 1999: Star Screen Award for Best Comedian: Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
- 1999: Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Comic Role: Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (Nomination)
- 1997: Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress: Raja Hindustani (Nomination)
- Dolly Ki Doli (2015)
- Kick 2014
- Bol Bachchan 2012
- Haat-The Weekly Bazaar 2011
- Luv Ka The End 2011 –
- De Dana Dan 2009 – Kuljeet Kaur
- Tera Mera Ki Rishta (Punjabi) (2009)
- Kal Kisne Dekha (2009)
- Good Luck! (2008)
- Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! (2008)
- Money Hai Toh Honey Hai (2008) – Dolly
- Love Story 2050 (2008)
- Mere Baap Pehle Aap (2008) – Inspector Bhawani
- Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha (2007)
- Arvind Kandula
- Mera Dil Leke Dekho (2006)
- Krrish (2006)
- The Gold Bracelet (2006) – Baljit Singh
- Nach Baliye (2005) (Mini TV series)
- Insan (2005)
- Rok Sako To Rok Lo (2004)
- Masti (2004)
- Aabra Ka Daabra (2004)
- Enakku 20 Unakku 18 (2003) (Tamil)
- Janasheen (2003)
- Khanjar: The Knife (2003)
- Jhankaar Beats (2003)
- Maine Dil Tujhko Diya (2002)
- Moksha: Salvation (2001)
- Censor (2001)
- Mohabbatein (2000)
- Mela (2000)
- Bade Dilwala (1999)
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998) – Miss Breganza
- Judge Mujrim (1997)
- Share Bazaar (1997)
- Raja Hindustani (1996)
- Aisi Bhi Kya Jaldi Hai (1996)
- Takkar (1995)
- Pyaar Ka Rog (1994)
- Yuhi Kabhi (1994)
- Aashiq Awara (1993)
- Aasoo Bane Angaarey (1993)
- Mahakaal (1993)
- Baaz (1992)
- Pandiyan (1992) (Tamil)
- Naalaya Seidhi (1992) (Tamil)
- Shola Aur Shabnam (1992)
- Zulm Ki Hukumat (1992)
- Saudagar (1991)
- Jaan Ki Kasam (1991)
- Hag Toofan (1991)
- Jeena Teri Gali Mein (1991)
- Agneepath (1990)
- Aag Ka Gola (1990)
- Ladaai (1989)
- Shrimaan Shrimati (1989) TV series
- The Perfect Murder (1988)
- Aaj Ke Angaarey (1988)
- Woh Phir Aayegi (1988)
- Jalwa (1987)
- Abhishek (1987)(TV Movie)
- Karamchand (1985–1988) - Kitty
- Nikaah (1982)
- Face Off – Archana Puran Singh Indian Express, 7 July 1998.
- Archana Puran Singh – filmography, New York Times.
- Archana Puran Singh Biography www.indiantelevision.com.
- Alive and kicking The Tribune, 6 May 2006.
- Archana Puran Singh – Biography
- Archana uncensored Times of India, 27 June 2002.
- http://www.setindia.com/showinside.php?sid=89 Comedy Circus Sony TV India.
- Archana, Parmeet entertain in Kaho Na Yaar Hai 30 January 2008.
- Comedy Circus Kaante ki Takkar Hindustan Times, 9 September 2008.
- Awards Internet Movie Database.
- Archana Puran Singh at the Internet Movie Database
- Comedy Circus returns with new faces
- Celebrity studded comedy show