|Governorate of Russian Empire|
|Russian Empire in 1682-1762. Archangelgorod Governorate is shown as number 3.|
|-||Established||December 29 [O.S. December 18]|
|-||Disestablished||February 5 [O.S. January 25]|
|Political subdivisions||four provinces|
Archangelgorod Governorate (Russian: Архангелогородская губерния, Arkhangelogorodskaya guberniya), or the Government of Archangelgorod, was an administrative division (a guberniya) of the Russian Empire, which existed from 1708 until 1780. Its seat was in Archangel (modern Arkhangelsk). The governorate was located in the north of Russian Empire and bordered Siberia Governorate in the east, Kazan Governorate in the south-east, Moscow and Ingermanland Governorates in the south-west, and Sweden in the west. In the north, the governorate was limited by the White and Barents Seas.
As with the rest of the governorates, the description of Archangelgorod Governorate's borders was not given. Instead, the territory was defined as a set of cities and the lands adjacent to those cities.
In terms of the modern political division of Russia, Archangelgorod Governorate comprised the areas of what is currently Murmansk Oblast, Nenets Autonomous Okrug and the Komi Republic, the greater parts of Arkhangelsk and Vologda Oblasts, as well as parts of the Republic of Karelia, Kostroma, Kirov, and Nizhny Novgorod Oblasts.
On June 9 [O.S. May 29], 1719, the governorate was divided into provinces: Archangelgorod, Vologda, Galich, and Ustyug. Simultaneously, Yarensky Uyezd with the administrative center of Yarensk was moved from Siberia Governorate to Archangelgorod Governorate. The uyezds were transformed into districts, however, in 1727 the districts were transformed back into uyezds.
The administration of the governorate was performed by a governor. The governors of the Arkhangelogorod Governorate were
- 1708-1711 Pyotr Alexeevich Golitsyn
- 1711-1714 Alexey Alexandrovich Kurbatov (vice-governor)
- 1714-1725 Pyotr Yefimovich Lodyzhensky
- 1725-1727 Ivan Petrovich Izmaylov
- 1727-1728 Ivan Mikhaylovich Likharev
- 1728-1729 Villim Fermor
- 1729-1732 Semyon Fyodorovich Meshchersky
- 1732-1732 Ivan Maksimovich Shuvalov
- 1732-1738 Mikhail Yuryevich Shcherbatov (the father of Mikhail Shcherbatov)
- 1738-1740 Andrey Litskin
- 1740-1740 Pyotr Kalinovich Pushkin
- 1740-1743 Alexey Andreyevich Obolensky-Bely
- 1743-1745 Alexey Mikhaylovich Pushkin
- 1745-1762 Stepan Alexeyevich Yuryev
- 1762-1763 Grigory Filatovich Sukhotin
- 1763-1780 Yegor Andreyevich Golovtsyn
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arkhangelsk Governorate.|
- Указ об учреждении губерний и о росписании к ним городов (Russian)
- Архивный отдел Администрации Мурманской области. Государственный Архив Мурманской области. (1995). Административно-территориальное деление Мурманской области (1920-1993 гг.). Справочник. Мурманск: Мурманское издательско-полиграфическое предприятие "Север". pp. 19–20.
- Лукошников, В. А. (March 22, 2006). "Яренский уезд". Маяк (in Russian) (22).
- "Архангельская область" (in Russian). narod.ru. Retrieved 25 August 2011.