Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School
|Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School|
|The front entrance of Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School.
Nil sine fide et labore
|80 Mandrake St
L1S 5H4, Canada
|Type||Catholic school, high school|
|School district||Durham Catholic District School Board|
|Vice principal||Mr. D. Chambers (A-K) & Ms. S. Duane (L-Z)|
|Enrolment||Approximately 800-900 (2014)|
|Language||Canadian English, and Canadian French|
|Colour(s)||█ █ Green and Yellow|
|Website||Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School|
Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School (abbreviated DO'C) is a Roman Catholic high school located in Ajax, Ontario, Canada, within the Durham Catholic District School Board. It is named for Archbishop Denis T. O'Connor, a priest born in Pickering in 1841 who became the third Archbishop of Toronto, Canada in 1899. The school has students in grades 9–12 and offers a wide range of academic and extracurricular activities. The current enrollment is approximately 800-900 students. The school colours are green and yellow, and its motto is Nil sine fide et labore, which is Latin for "Nothing without faith and work."
In 2014, the school will celebrate the 50th anniversary of its opening in 1964.
Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School was founded by Father Leo J. Austin and was officially opened in September, 1962 in Whitby, Ontario. The school was moved to its new home of Ajax in 1984. In November 18, 1984 it was officially opened and blessed by Cardinal Carter. In 1991 a major addition was constructed which increased its capacity to approximately 1,000 students.
Archbishop Denis has reasonably talented sports teams such as their cheerleading squad and senior boys basketball team.[according to whom?] The senior boys' soccer team has proved to be one of the most successful teams in the Durham Region, winning 5 Lake Ontario Secondary School Association (LOSSA) championships in a row.
- St. Jude Catholic Elementary School
- St. James Catholic Elementary School,
- St. Francis De Sales Catholic Elementary School
- St. Bernadette Catholic Elementary School
- Mother Teresa Catholic Elementary School.
Notable alumni and groups
- Paul Peschisolido, retired professional soccer player
- Candace Chapman, women's professional soccer player, member of the Canada women's national soccer team and Olympian, Olympic bronze medalist
- Toya Alexis, Canadian R&B vocalist
- Ruby Bhatia, India's first music veejay
- Keith Godding, Wide Receiver, Toronto Argonauts
- Reflections in Time - Catholic Education in Durham Region (1969-1994), Pickering-Ajax Digital Archive. Retrieved 2014-01-21