Archbishop Hoban High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
|Archbishop Hoban High School|
|One Holy Cross Boulevard
Akron, Ohio, (Summit County), 44306
|Type||Private, Co-educational, College prep|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic
Brothers of Holy Cross
|School district||Roman Catholic Diocese of Cleveland|
|President||Todd R. Sweda, Ed.D|
|Principal||Mary Anne Beiting, Ed.D|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue and Old Gold|
|Athletics conference||North Coast League|
Archbishop Hoban High School is a private, Catholic, college prep high school in Akron, Ohio, USA. It is a part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cleveland. In the early 1950s, Archbishop Edward F. Hoban invited the Brothers of Holy Cross to staff a new high school to be named in his honor. The Brothers had taught him as a boy, and he knew their standard of excellence. It is the third Holy Cross high school in the Cleveland diocese, joining Gilmour Academy in Gates Mills and St. Edward High School in Lakewood.
A rigorous curriculum offers college preparatory, honors, advanced placement and elective courses. Counselors help students design schedules that meet individual needs.
Recent awards and distinctions
Hoban has 13 students from the Class of 2012 to be recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Program. Since 2000, the NMSC has recognized 139 Hoban students based on high scores on the PSAT/NMSQT examination.
Ninety-nine percent of Hoban graduates continue their studies at colleges and universities or enter the military. The 197 members of the Class of 2011 earned $16.3 million in scholarship offers.
Contests and academic competitions
Archbishop Hoban High School offers the following extracurricular activities:
- Academic Challenge: Summit County League, NewsChannel 5 WEWS program
- Drama: Ohio Educational Theatre Association, Cleveland Theatre Conference, ESU National Shakespeare Competition
- English: various essay contests
- French: Le Grand Concours
- Instrumental and Vocal Music: Ohio Solo and Ensemble Contest, Panorama Caribbean Music Fest
- Journalism: Columbia Scholastic Press Association, Quill and Scroll, American Scholastic Press Association, Ohio Scholastic Media Association
- Latin: The National Latin Exam
- Mathematics: Ohio Math League, American Mathematics Competition, Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics State Tournament
- Mock Trial: Ohio Mock Trial Program, American Mock Trial Invitational
- Model Bridge Building: American Society of Civil Engineers chapter at the University of Akron
- Robotics: Case Western Reserve University Robotics Competition
- Spanish: The National Spanish Exam
- Science: Science Olympiad
- U.S. History: Mr/Ms George Washington contest
- Visual Arts: The Holocaust Art Contest, the Scholastic Key contests
Of particular note
- Hoban's Mock Trial team won the Ohio High School Mock Trial Competition on March 12, 2011 and advanced to the national competition in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Hoban was the season champion in 2009 on NewsChannel 5's Academic Challenge, winning $10,000 for the school.
- In the Ohio Math League, Hoban was the only school in Summit County and one of two high schools in the Diocese of Cleveland to be among the top scoring schools in the Ohio contest.
The Hoban Troubadours is the school's acclaimed drama program. Staging 3 shows a year, the Troubadours also travel to state-wide conferences, events, and competitions. Additionally, the club is a member of International Thespian Society, troupe #6411. Since the troupe's inception in 2002, they have sent a total of 5 thespians to perform in Ohio Educational Theatre Association's All-Ohio production, and was named a "Gold Honor Troupe" in 2011 by the Ohio Educational Theatre Association. In 2015, the Troubadours were selected to stage their fall play, "Fools", by Neil Simon, at OhEdTA's State Conference. 
Mum Day tradition
Hoban has an original school event called Mum Day which is held every year on the Friday before the rival football game against St. Vincent - St. Mary High School. The rival game is held at the Summa Field at InfoCision Stadium at the University of Akron, and was for many years held at the Rubber Bowl. The game, also known as "Akron's Holy War," is widely considered one of the most fiercely contested high school football games in all of Ohio and is attended by thousands of fans every year.
The winner of the game is presented the honor of keeping the Shillelagh Stick at their high school for the next year. St. Vincent - St. Mary High School has taken the Shillelagh home to its trophy case for the last seven years in a row.
On Mum Day, the Friday before the football game, all students are silent during the day between classes. Most teachers even remain silent during class and instruct without speaking. The day before, the seniors decorate the school overnight with streamers, balloons, etc. Classes are shortened and all students, teachers and staff gather in Barry Gymnasium at the end of the day for a pep rally.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Basketball – 1989
- Boys Track and Field – 1992, 1993
- Girls Basketball – 1988
- Girls Softball – 1983, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1992
- Girls Volleyball – 1980, 1990, 1991, 1992
Girls Soccer- 2014 OHSAA State Runner Ups
- John Neidert - Former University of Louisville Middle Linebacker, NFL 1968-1969, New York Jets, and 1970 Chicago Bears
- Butch Reynolds - Olympic gold and silver medalist. Broke the 400-meter dash world record in 1988.
- Kenny Robinson, Former MLB player (Toronto Blue Jays, Kansas City Royals)
- Ric Sayre - Prolific sub-2:20 US marathoner & winner of 1986 Los Angeles Marathon; 1 of 3 American men to ever qualify for 5 US Olympic Marathon Trials (1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996)
- Tyrell Sutton - Current member of the Montreal Alouettes Canadian Football League team. Also spent time with the Green Bay Packers (2009 preseason practice squad) and the Carolina Panthers (2009 and 2010 seasons), as well as the Seattle Seahawks. Played college football at Northwestern University. 2005 Big Ten Freshman of the Year. Holds Ohio's high school state rushing record with 9,426 yards.
- J. Alex Bluebond - National Champion mock trial coach at Duke University, graduate of Duke University School of Law, notable Miami University mock trial attorney, Columbus area attorney, current mock trial coach at The Ohio State University
- "Yappi Sports Basketball D3". Archived from the original on 13 January 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- "Yappi Sports Softball". Archived from the original on 13 January 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Archived from the original on 31 December 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-31.