Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cologne
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2010)|
|Archdiocese of Cologne
Coat of Arms of the Archdiocese of Cologne
|Metropolitan||Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia|
|Area||6,181 km2 (2,386 sq mi)|
|(as of 2006)
|Patron saint||St. Joseph
|Auxiliary Bishops||Manfred Melzer
The Archdiocese of Cologne (Latin: Archidioecesis Coloniensis; German: Erzbistum Köln) is an archdiocese of the Catholic Church in western North Rhine-Westphalia and northern Rhineland-Palatinate in Germany.
The Electorate of Cologne - not to be confused with the larger Archdiocese of Cologne (see map on the left) - was one of the major ecclesiastical principalities of the Holy Roman Empire. The city of Cologne as such became a free city in 1288 and the archbishop eventually moved his residence from Cologne Cathedral to Bonn to avoid conflicts with the Free City, which escaped his jurisdiction.
After 1795, the archbishopric's territories on the left bank of the Rhine were occupied by France, and were formally annexed in 1801. The Reichsdeputationshauptschluss of 1803 secularized the rest of the archbishopric, giving the Duchy of Westphalia to the Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt. Cologne was, however, reestablished as the seat of a Roman Catholic archbishop in 1824, and is an archdiocese to the present day.
Cologne, the largest and reportedly richest diocese in Europe, announced in October 2013 that "in connection with the current discussion about Church finances" that its archbishop had reserves amounting to 166.2 million Euro in 2012. It said the 9.6 million Euro earnings from its investments were, as in previous years, added to the diocesan budget of 939 million Euro in 2012, three-quarters of which was financed by the "church tax" levied on churchgoers.
List of archbishops of Cologne since 1824
The following is a list of the archbishops since the Archdiocese of Cologne was re-established in 1824.
- 1824–1835: Ferdinand August von Spiegel
- 1835–1845: Clemens August von Droste-Vischering
- 1845–1864: Johannes von Geissel
- 1866–1885: Paul Ludolf Melchers
- 1885–1899: Philipp Krementz
- 1899–1912: Hubert Theophil Simar
- 1902–1912: Anton Hubert Fischer
- 1912–1919: Felix von Hartmann
- 1920–1941: Karl Joseph Schulte
- 1942–1969: Josef Frings
- 1969–1987: Joseph Höffner
- 1988–Date: Joachim Meisner
- Cologne from Catholic-hierarchy.org
- "Cologne". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- (German) List of Bishops and Archbishops of Cologne Archdiocese of Cologne (Erzbistum Köln)
- (English) List of Bishops and Archbishops of Cologne Cologne Cathedral (Kölner Dom)