Archduke Karl Ludwig of Austria
|Archduke Karl Ludwig|
|Spouse||Princess Margaretha of Saxony
Princess Maria Annunciata of Bourbon-Two Sicilies
Infanta Maria Theresa of Portugal
|Archduke Franz Ferdinand
Archduke Otto Franz
Archduke Ferdinand Karl
Archduchess Margarete Sophie
Archduchess Maria Annunziata
Archduchess Elisabeth Amalie
|Father||Archduke Franz Karl of Austria|
|Mother||Sophie, Princess of Bavaria|
30 July 1833|
Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna, Austria
|Died||19 May 1896(aged 62)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Archduke Karl Ludwig of Austria|
|Monarchical styles of
Archduke Karl Ludwig of Austria
|Reference style||His Imperial and Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Imperial and Royal Highness|
Archduke Karl Ludwig Joseph Maria of Austria (30 July 1833 – 19 May 1896) was the younger brother of Franz Joseph I of Austria (1830–1916) and the father of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria (1863–1914), whose assassination ignited the start of World War I.
He was born at Schönbrunn in Vienna, the son of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria (1802–1878) and his wife Sophie of Bavaria (1805–1872).[better source needed] His siblings included Franz Joseph, Emperor of Austria and Maximilian (1832–1867), the executed Emperor of Mexico.
After the death of his nephew Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria (1858–1889), he became heir presumptive to Austro-Hungarian Empire but renounced his succession rights a few days later in favour of his eldest son Franz Ferdinand.
He married three times.
His first wife, whom he married on 4 November 1856 at Dresden, was his first cousin Margaretha of Saxony (1840–1858), the daughter of Johann of Saxony (1801–1873) and Amalie Auguste of Bavaria (1801–1877). She died on 15 September 1858 and they had no children.[better source needed]
His second wife, whom he married by proxy on 16 October 1862 at Rome, and in person on 21 October 1862 at Venice, was Princess Maria Annunciata of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (1843–1871), daughter of Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies (1810–1859) and Maria Theresa of Austria (1816–1867).[better source needed]
They had four children:
- Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria (1863–1914). Married morganatically to Sophie Chotek; had issue.
- Archduke Otto Franz of Austria (1865–1906). Married Maria Josepha of Saxony; had issue including Karl I of Austria.
- Archduke Ferdinand Karl of Austria (1868–1915). Married morganatically to Bertha Czuber; no issue.
- Archduchess Margarete Sophie of Austria (1870–1902). Married Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg; had issue.[better source needed]
Maria Annunciata died on 4 May 1871.[better source needed]
His third wife, whom he married on 23 July 1873 at Kleinheubach, was Infanta Maria Theresa of Portugal (1855–1944), daughter of Miguel I of Portugal (1802–1866) and Adelaide of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (1831–1909).[better source needed]
They had two daughters:
- Archduchess Maria Annunziata of Austria (1876–1961). Abbess of the Theresia Convent in the Hradschin, Prague.
- Archduchess Elisabeth Amalie of Austria (1878–1960). Married Prince Aloys of Liechtenstein; had issue including Franz Joseph II of Liechtenstein.[better source needed]
See also