Archduke Stefan of Austria
|Archduke Stefan of Austria|
|Prince of Tuscany, Archduke and Imperial Prince of Austria, Royal Prince of Hungary and Bohemia|
|Spouse||Mary Jerrine Soper|
|German: Stefan von Habsburg-Lothringen|
|House||House of Habsburg-Lorraine|
|Father||Archduke Anton of Austria|
|Mother||Princess Ileana of Romania|
15 August 1932|
Mödling, Lower Austria, Austria
|Died||12 November 1998
Michigan, United States
Archduke Stefan of Austria, Prince of Tuscany (German: Stefan, Erzherzog von Österreich, Prinz von Toskana) (15 August 1932, Mödling, Lower Austria, Austria – 12 November 1998, Brighton, Livingston County, Michigan, United States) was a member of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine and Archduke and Prince of Austria, Prince of Hungary, Bohemia, and Tuscany by birth. Stefan was the eldest child and son of Archduke Anton of Austria and his wife Princess Ileana of Romania.
Stefan was baptised with the name of Stefan von Habsburg-Lothringen. He was born in Mödling, Austria and spent the first years of his childhood in Castle Sonnberg, Austria. In 1942, he moved with his parents and four sisters and brother to Romania. While there, Stefan's parents made their residence at Bran, Braşov. After his 1st cousin, Michael of Romania,was forced to abdicate and expelled by the Communist late in 1947, Stefan left the country with his parents. Stefan then lived first in Switzerland, then in Argentina, and then finally in the United States. He was naturalized as a United States citizen. He was a graduate from Malvern Preparatory School and MIT. He established a division for advanced research at General Motors in Detroit, Michigan.
Marriage and issue
Stefan married morganatically to Mary Jerrine Soper, born 19 June 1931 in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, daughter of Charles B. Soper and wife Agnes McNeil, on 26 August 1954 at St. Elizabeth's Church in Milton, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, United States. Stefan and Jerrine had five children together:
- Christopher Habsburg-Lothringen (born 26 January 1957 in Faulkner Hospital, Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts)
- ∞ Elizabeth Ann Blanchette, born Popejoy (born 22 January 1967 in Peoria, Peoria County, Illinois) on 2 May 1987 at Mount Tamalpais, near Mill Valley, Marin County, California, and divorced in July 1994, daughter of Larry Lee Popejoy, of Cherokee descent, and former wife Regina Irene Keller, of German and Polish-Ukrainian descent, and adopted daughter of her stepfather ... Blanchette; she later remarried and has more six children
- ∞ Catherine Ripley (born 5 September 1958 in St. Joseph's Hospital, Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan) on 15 October 1994 at Clarkston, Oakland County, Michigan, and divorced in 2001, daughter of Anthony Ripley and wife Ann Mary Brunner and former wife of Romanian-born naturalised U.S. citizen Corneliu Nastase, whom she married on 2 August 1986 and divorced in 1993
- ∞ David Snyder (born 18 November 1956 in Pontiac, Michigan) on 23 June 1979 in Farmington Hills, Michigan
- ∞ Shari Suzanne Reid (born 1 September 1960 in Highland Park, Michigan) on 27 June 1981 in Farmington Hills, Michigan Divorced in 1985.
- ∞ Lauren Ann Klaus (born 9 May 1956 in Detroit, Michigan) on 17 June 1989 in Union Lake, Michigan. They have adopted three children:
- ∞ Mark Lee Matheson (born 15 February 1958 in Grosse Pointe, Michigan) on 16 January 1987 in Franklin, Michigan. Divorced November 1, 1995.
- ∞ Michael Dale Bain (born January 4, 1962, in Rockwood, Tennessee) on November 8, 1997 in Marietta, Georgia.
- Michael Bain (born 1998)
- ∞ Ashley Byrd Carrell (born 23 August 1966 in Nashville Tennessee; died 24 Oct 2002) on 5 October 1991 in Hiram, Ohio
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 15 August 1932 – 12 November 1998: His Imperial and Royal Highness Archduke and Imperial Prince Stefan of Austria, Prince of Tuscany, Royal Prince of Hungary and Bohemia
- (Note: Stefan was baptized with the name Stefan von Habsburg-Lothringen and later changed his name to Stefan Habsburg).