|Publisher(s)||Tencent Games (China)
Trion Worlds (NA, Europe, Australia, NZ)
|Release date(s)||Korea - 15 January 2013, Japan - 23 July 2013, Russia - Closed beta end of December|
ArcheAge is a MMORPG developed by Korean developer Jake Song (former developer of Lineage) and his development company, XL Games. The game was released in Korea on January 15, 2013 and has also had a closed beta in China. ArcheAge is described as a "sandpark" MMORPG, which the developers say is a hybrid of the open content style of a "sandbox" game, and the more structured play experience of a "themepark" game.
Archeage features a zoneless world with third person view. It has a housing system with building erected in the world and not in instanced zones, not only the doors but windows of player houses can usually be opened as well. Furniture and other decorative items are available to be placed inside player houses or in their vicinity with some of them being functional (strawmen allow planting in a radius protecting the plants from stealing or such by other players for example). Trees and crops can be planted, watered and harvested/chopped down. Animal husbandry allows cattle and sheep to be tended to and used as resources. Buildings can be destroyed by other players including castles being attacked with siege weapons such as cannons. City founding is possible by erecting floating city stones which can in turn be attempted to be captured by enemy forces.
There are many options for travel in ArcheAge, besides travel on foot like walking or climbing (ladders, vines, trees), swimming and personal mounts, personal boats (from row boats to catamarans to galleons) as well as personal gliders or car-like machines like tractors for transport of larger amounts of goods there are predetermined travel routes by airships, taxi-like vehicles and portals too. Travel is fully 3-dimensional in ArcheAge, thus swimming and diving are possible. Diving can be improved with diving equipment and there is underwater planting, harvesting and gathering of resources along with underwater treasure hunting.
Some mounts allow to backpack another player upon invitation as can boats be used to transport other players with one player acting as driver. Ships need one captain who steers the ship while other player can be transported or - if the ship is equipped accordingly - man cannons for naval or sea-land battles or fights against sea monsters. Sea creatures or other ships can be harpooned from accordingly equipped boats too. ArcheAge has a pet system with pets being bought as babies and trained to grow into mounts or battle companions for example. Pets/mounts level with experience gained, acquiring new abilities. They can be killed in battle, resurrected and suffer resurrection disease which can be healed at a stable. Pets/mounts have equipment slots like player characters.
The skill system of ArcheAge is very flexible as one chooses three basic skill types from a selection of ten and can thus create ones own "class" which is then level based in improvement.
As ArcheAge allows PvP, and there can be large scale battles with several hundred players. To keep player harassment at bay a player run court system with a jail concept is integrated. Criminal players are imprisoned and can pay off their debt by working in the prison or trying to escape through digging their way out.
The crafting system in ArcheAge is very extensive with everything from equipment and food, the construction of vehicles, and building furniture for the player-owned homes.
Initial development of ArcheAge began in 2006, and closed testing of the game took place over two years. Before finally being released in Korea on January 15, 2013, the game went through five closed beta tests and one open beta test. In 2012, an XL Games studio representative said he expected ArcheAge to be released in North America at the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014.
- Дата выхода и цена в Японии на ArcheAge
- ConvultNetwork. "Farming & Building". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- psobb12. "Castle Building and Siege Demo". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- hzobaba. "Tree climbing and gathering". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- Steparu. "Airflight, Town Building, Mobile Devices". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- BetacakeNet. "Diving and unterwater treasure hunting". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- beka puturiidze. "Ship Building & Naval Battle (lower resolution)". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- SteparuTV. "The Kraken Awakens". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- Amaterasu ArcheAge. "Harpooning Sea Creatures". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- MMORPGHispano. "Pet System". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- Amaterasu ArcheAge. "Pet System 2". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- InporylemQQ. "Court threw me in to jail (I escaped)". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- beka vidss. "Nvidia Effect impact". Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- Reahard, Jef (January 24, 2013). "Trion to publish ArcheAge in the West". Massively by Joystiq. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- Murphy, William (June 20, 2012). "ArcheAge Interviews: Closed Beta, America Bound, & Siege Warfare". MMORPG.com. Retrieved January 24, 2013.