Archgoat performing live at the Black Flames of Blasphemy Festival in 2009
|Labels||Necropolis, Hammer of Hate, Blasphemous Underground, Debemur Morti Productions|
|Associated acts||Torture Killer
Archgoat is a black metal group from Finland formed in 1989 by brothers Ritual Butcherer on guitar and Lord Angelslayer on bass and vocals. The members of Archgoat openly identify with the philosophy of Satanism and the Occult as expressed in their lyrical content, which also consists of anti-Christian themes.
Archgoat formed in 1989 in Turku, Finland, though they did not release their first recording, titled Jesus Spawn, until 1991. Then in 1992, the band landed a record contract with Necropolis Records. In 1993, their MLP, Angelcunt (Tales of Desecration), was released. Later that year Archgoat entered into a full-time studio deal with Necropolis. However, after their recording sessions, a disagreement with terms of their contract resulted in the band refusing to release the finished material to the public.
In 1993, Archgoat began an extensive hiatus, citing their belief that they did not belong in a "commercial" black metal scene. The band did not reform until 2004, when they released their 1993 material as a 7" EP, titled Angelslaying Black Fucking Metal, through Hammer of Hate Records. Their show, First Live Black Mass, concert was recorded in Finland in 2005. Drummer Sinister Karppinen became the band's permanent drummer in this time. Their debut LP Whore of Bethlehem was released in September 2006, and they embarked on a European tour in spring 2007 with Black Witchery. A live split of this tour was released as Desecration & Sodomy in 2008.
Their latest album, titled The Light-Devouring Darkness was released on February 9, 2009; their newest EP, titled Heavenly Vulva, was released in October 2011.
- Whore of Bethlehem (2006)
- The Light-Devouring Darkness (February 2009)
- Angelcunt (Tales of Desecration) (1993)
- Angelslaying Black Fucking Metal (2004)
- Heavenly Vulva (October 2011)
- Jesus Spawn (1991)
- Penis Perversor (1993)
- Archgoat and Black Witchery (2008)
- Messe Des Morts / Angel Cunt (1999) (with Beherit)
- Angelslayer "Growls of the Fullmoon" (vocals and bass guitar) - 1989–1993, 2004–present
- Ritual Butcherer "Axe of Black Mass" (guitar) - 1989–1993, 2004–present
- Sinister Karppinen (drums) - 2005–present
- Blood Desecrator "Bombardment" (drums) - 1989–1993
- Leneth the Unholy Carnager (drums) - 2004-2005
- Archgoat biography, Rockdetector, accessed April 30, 2012.
- Archgoat biography, Archgoat.com, accessed April 30, 2012.
- Interview with Archgoat 2005, Cross of Black Steel magazine Issue No. 2, accessed January 12, 2009.