Archipelago Sea Naval Command
|Archipelago Sea Naval Command|
Colour of the Command
|Size||320 conscripts, 640 career personnel|
|Part of||Finnish Navy|
|March||Ernst von Vegesach March|
|Equipment||MTO 85, Rauma class, Hämeenmaa class|
Archipelago Sea Naval Command (Finnish: Saaristomeren meripuolustusalue, Swedish: Skärgårdshavets Marinkommando) is a Finnish Navy unit headquartered in Pansio, Turku. Its main operating area is the Archipelago Sea. Archipelago Sea Naval Command was formed in 1998 by combining the Archipelago Sea Fleet and Turku Coastal Regiment.
The main duty of the Archipelago Sea Naval Command during normal condition is the surveillance of Finnish territorial waters and maintaining territorial integrity. In addition, the Command trains conscripts to fulfil duties in the crisis-time organization of the Command. The Command is always at the state of enhanced readiness, prepared to repel unauthorized incursions to Finnish waters using force. In a crisis, securing the sea lanes for the use of Finnish commercial shipping would be the main duty of the Command.
Turku Coast Battalion consists of Military Police Company and Logistics Company. The Coast Battalion trains navy and military police NCOs. ASNAC does not give basic training for conscripts anymore, as all Finnish Navy conscripts are initially trained at Gulf of Finland Naval Command's Navy Training Centre at Upinniemi before being transferred to other units for advanced training.
- 6th Missile Squadron (6. Ohjuslaivue), operating Rauma class Fast Attack Crafts and Hämeenmaa minelayer Uusimaa, Pansio class minelayer Pansio
- 4th Mine Warfare Squadron (4. Miinalaivue), Katanpää class Mine Hunters.
- Turku Coast Battalion (Turun Rannikkopataljoona), responsible for providing logistics, force protection and coastal artillery support for the command. The unit is also responsible for the surveillance of territorial waters.
- Logistics Centre (Huoltokeskus)
- Navy Band (Laivaston Soittokunta)
- Varusmiehiä kouluttavat joukko-osastot 2008. Reserviläinen 1/2008, p.38. ISSN 0557-8477 (Finnish)
- SMMEPA: Esittelyt. Retrieved 2-4-2008. (Finnish)