Arden Middle School
|It has been suggested that this school-related article be merged to the appropriate locality article. For more details, see Talk:Arden Middle School. Article guidelines, AfD outcomes and notability guidelines may be useful. Proposed since March 2008.|
|Arden Middle School|
|1640 Watt Avenue
Sacramento, California, United States
|School district||San Juan Unified School District|
|Principal||Mr. Howard Cadenhead|
|Enrollment||Approx. 900-1000 Students|
|Color(s)||Green and Yellow|
Arden Middle School is a public middle school located in Sacramento, California, United States of America. It is a part of the San Juan Unified School District with a student body of approximately 900 students. Its students mainly feed into Rio Americano High School, although a significant number feed into El Camino Fundamental High School, Mira Loma High School, and Jesuit High School.
Most students attending Arden Middle School come from the elementary schools of Del Dayo, Mariemont and Sierra Oaks. Electives offered for the 2009-2010 school year include Band, Exploration, Art, Spanish, AVID and Choir.
|White||Hispanic||Asian||African American||American Indian||Filipino||Pacific Islander|
Arden's Science Olympiad team has been successful in state and regional competitions. It has won 12 regional titles, and has won the state competition 7 times of the last 8 years. In 2001 and 2002 Arden was Northern California State champion in the Science Olympiad. They won at the State level again in 2004 and 2005. In 2006, Arden placed 4th in the national competition after winning at the State level; in 2007, Arden again won first place in the Northern California Middle School division and placed 8th in the national competition, winning two gold medals. In 2008, they placed again in the national top 10, landing in seventh. After taking first place in the Northern California Middle School competition, Arden traveled to Augusta, Georgia and took fourth place. In 2010, Arden took 2nd place in Champaign, Illinois, setting a school record.
In 1997 Arden Middle School music program also found success, winning the middle school division of the Sonoma Jazz Festival and the Folsom Jazz Festival, and also placing second at the Santa Cruz and fifth at the Reno jazz festivals 2010, not to mention placing second at the Folsom Jazz Festival.
Mr. Howard Cadenhead, formerly a vice principal at Rio Americano High School became the interim principal and was later named the permanent principal for the 2011-2012 school year. Jamey Schrey, the principal from 2009-2011 became the Director of Secondary Education at the San Juan Unified district office and was reinstated as principal for the 2012-2013 school year.
- Arden Middle schoolers have Olympiad down to a science Sacramento Bee, April 15, 2004
- Mira Loma High wins science award Sacramento Bee, March 18, 2001
- Arden Middle School wins state title Sacramento Bee, April 18, 2002
- 2 schools win Olympiad Sacramento Bee, March 15, 2004
- Arden Middle School science squad shows off some 'girl power' Sacramento Bee, April 21, 2005
- Top 10 scientific marvels: Sacramento school teams finish among the very best in a national competition ranging from rocks to robots. Sacramento Bee, May 23, 2006
- Science students aim for Indiana: The north state's best again, Arden Middle School team preps for national competition Sacramento Bee, April 27, 2006
- Arden Middle School kids win state science contest Sacramento Bee, May 3, 2007
- Local schools strike gold at science contest. Sacramento Bee, May 24, 2007
- Key Win KEY WIN JAZZES UP ENSEMBLE YOUTHS TO PERFORM AT MONTEREY FESTIVAL Sacrament Bee, May 15, 1997