Are We Done Yet?
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)|
|Are We Done Yet?|
Promotional movie poster for the film
|Directed by||Steve Carr|
|Produced by||Ted Hartley
|Screenplay by||Hank Nelken|
|Story by||Hank Nelken (screen story)|
|Based on||Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House
by Melvin Frank
by Steven Gary Banks
John C. McGinley
Philip Daniel Bolden
|Music by||Teddy Castellucci|
|Editing by||Craig Herring|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|Running time||92 minutes|
Are We Done Yet? is a 2007 family comedy film starring Ice Cube. The film is both a remake of the classic Cary Grant comedy Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and a sequel to 2005's comedy Are We There Yet? The film was directed by Steve Carr from a screenplay by Hank Nelken. It was produced by Revolution Studios and reincarnated RKO Pictures, and distributed by Columbia Pictures. The film was shot on location in Tsawwassen, British Columbia, Canada, but is set in Newberg, Oregon, United States.
Nick Persons (Ice Cube) sold his collectables store and has had Suzanne (Nia Long), Kevin (Philip Daniel Bolden) and Lindsey (Aleisha Allen) move into his apartment after Suzanne and Nick were married. While getting ready for an interview with Magic Johnson, Suzanne tells Nick that she is pregnant and they later find out that Suzanne is pregnant with twins. For more space, Suzanne and Nick go check out a house even though Lindsey and Kevin are against it. In the house, they meet Chuck Mitchell Jr. (John C. McGinley). After some talking, Nick decides to take the house. They find out that the house has mold and Nick did not get the house inspected.Throughout most of the movie Nick is angry with Chuck, and at one point Lindsey sneaks out to go to a party, which Nick finds out about and grounds her. Now with the whole family against Nick, he has more to come when Chuck almosts destroys their house, so Nick fires him. Because Nick fired Chuck, Suzanne, Lindsey, and Kevin move out, to the guest house; in Suzanne's words, You're the one who's tearing this family apart! After some time to think, Nick decides to fix the house on his own and apologizes to Chuck. So in loyalty Chuck brings his friends back to finish the house, including Lindsey and Kevin.
When Suzanne goes into labor and the hospital 30 minutes away, Nick and Lindsey have to deliver the babies. Chuck tries to get there, but his truck breaks down. He power walks down to the house. While she's still in labor, Nick gets a call from Magic. After Suzanne gives birth to twins, the movie fast forwards to six months later in their backyard. There is a major barbecue and Nick presents his new magazine to everyone. As the credits roll, there are pictures of blueprints and an animated family representing the Persons family.
- Ice Cube as Nicholas "Nick" Persons husband to Suzanne, Stepfather to Kevin and Lindsey, and the main protagonist of the film.
- Nia Long as Suzanne Persons (née Kingston) Nick's wife
- John C. McGinley as Chuck Mitchell Jr. the home salesman
- Aleisha Allen as Lindsey Persons Nick's Stepdaughter
- Philip Daniel Bolden as Kevin Persons Nick's Stepson
- Tahj Mowry as Danny Pulu
- Dan Joffre as Billy Pulu
- Pedro Miguel Arce as Georgie Pulu
- Linda Kash as Mrs. Rooney
- Hayes MacArthur as Jimmy the Bartender
- Colin and Gavin Strange as The Persons' Twins
- Jonathan Katz as Mr. Rooney
- Magic Johnson as Himself
- The character "Marty" (Jay Mohr) who appears from the previous film is absent from this one but he is mentioned briefly. He later returns in the TV series based on the film series played by a different actor.
Critical response 
Just like the previous film, Are We Done Yet? received overwhelmingly negative reviews, with an 8% rotten rating at Rotten Tomatoes based on 93 reviews (worse than the previous film's rating of 11% based on how 114 reviews). Metacritic, the film has a score of 36% based on reviews from 21 critics (slightly better than the previous film's rating of 27%).
Box office 
Despite being panned by the critics, the film has made $58,388,068 worldwide.
Home media 
The Are We Done Yet? Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and UMD was released on August 7, 2007. Special features include:
- KIDdin Around on the set: Making Are We Done Yet?
- Blooper Reel
- The Are We Done Yet? Quiz
- Chuck Mitchell, Jr.: Jack of All Trades Featurette
- Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Thai, Portuguese, and Korean.
- Schager, Nick. "Are We Done Yet?". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Are We Done Yet? at Rotten Tomatoes
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Are We Done Yet?|
- Are We Done Yet? at the Internet Movie Database
- Are We Done Yet? at AllRovi
- Cube's 'House' renovated, 'Yet?' sequel builds on ruins of 'Dream'