Are We Done Yet?
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)|
|Are We Done Yet?|
Promotional movie poster for the film
|Directed by||Steve Carr|
|Produced by||Ted Hartley
|Screenplay by||Hank Nelken|
|Story by||Hank Nelken (screen story)|
|Based on||Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House
by Melvin Frank
by Steven Gary Banks
John C. McGinley
Philip Daniel Bolden
|Music by||Teddy Castellucci|
|Editing by||Craig Herring|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|Running time||92 minutes|
Are We Done Yet? is a 2007 family comedy film starring Ice Cube. The film is both a remake of the classic Cary Grant comedy Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and a sequel to 2005's comedy Are We There Yet? The film was directed by Steve Carr from a screenplay by Hank Nelken. It was produced by Revolution Studios and reincarnated RKO Pictures, and distributed by Columbia Pictures. The film was shot on location in Tsawwassen, British Columbia, Canada, but is set in Newberg, Oregon, United States.
Nick Persons (Ice Cube) has married Suzanne (Nia Long) and moved her, Kevin (Philip Daniel Bolden), and Lindsey (Aleisha Allen) into his apartment. He has also sold his collectibles store. While getting ready for an interview with Magic Johnson, Suzanne tells Nick that she is pregnant and they later find out that there will be twins.
For more space, Suzanne and Nick go check out a house although Lindsey and Kevin are against it. They meet Chuck Mitchell Jr. (John C. McGinley) there, and after some talking Nick decides to take the house. But he didn't get it inspected first and they find mold in the house, so throughout most of the movie Nick is angry with Chuck as he almost destroys their house. Meanwhile, Lindsey sneaks out to go to a party and when Nick finds out, he grounds her. He finally decides to fire Chuck, which causes Suzanne to take the kids and move to the guest house, with the parting shot You're the one who's tearing this family apart! After taking some time to think, Nick decides to fix the house on his own and also to apologize to Chuck. Chuck responds by bringing his friends to help, including Lindsey and Kevin.
When Suzanne goes into labor with the hospital 30 minutes away, Nick and Lindsey have to deliver the babies. Chuck tries to get there, but his truck breaks down and he power-walks down to the house. While she's still in labor, Nick gets a call from Magic. After Suzanne gives birth to twins, the movie fast-forwards 6 months later to a big barbecue in their backyard at which Nick debuts his new magazine. Before the credits, the cartoon Nick Persons from the main titles appears and gets squished by the word "THE END", then kicks it off then brings the other characters, Coco the dog, Kevin Persons, Lindsey Persons, the Raccoon, and the Deer also from the main titles, then Suzanne and Chuck take a big bow before the fadeout.
- Ice Cube as Nicholas "Nick" Persons
- Nia Long as Suzanne Persons (née Kingston) Nick's wife
- John C. McGinley as Chuck Mitchell Jr.
- Aleisha Allen as Lindsey Persons, Nick's Stepdaughter
- Philip Daniel Bolden as Kevin Persons, Nick's Stepson
- Tahj Mowry as Danny Pulu
- Dan Joffre as Billy Pulu
- Pedro Miguel Arce as Georgie Pulu
- Linda Kash as Mrs. Rooney
- Hayes MacArthur as Jimmy the Bartender
- Colin and Gavin Strange as The Persons' Twins
- Jonathan Katz as Mr. Rooney
- Magic Johnson as Himself
- The character "Marty" (Jay Mohr) who appears from the previous film is absent from this one but he is mentioned briefly. He later returns in the TV series based on the film series played by a different actor.
Just like the previous film, Are We Done Yet? received negative reviews, with an 8% rotten rating at Rotten Tomatoes based on 93 reviews (worse than the previous film's rating of 11% based on how 114 reviews). Metacritic, the film has a score of 36% based on reviews from 21 critics (slightly better than the previous film's rating of 27%). The film was nominated for a Golden Raspberry awards in the fields of Worst Remake or Rip-off.
Despite being panned by the critics, the film has made $58,388,068 worldwide.
The Are We Done Yet? Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and UMD was released on August 7, 2007. Special features include:
- KIDdin Around on the set: Making Are We Done Yet?
- Blooper Reel
- The Are We Done Yet? Quiz
- Chuck Mitchell, Jr.: Jack of All Trades Featurette
- Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Thai, Portuguese, and Korean.
- Schager, Nick. "Are We Done Yet?". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Are We Done Yet? at Rotten Tomatoes
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Are We Done Yet?|
- Are We Done Yet? at the Internet Movie Database
- Are We Done Yet? at allmovie
- Cube's 'House' renovated, 'Yet?' sequel builds on ruins of 'Dream'