Are We There Yet? (TV series)
|Are We There Yet?|
|Developed by||Ali LeRoi
(based on characters created by Steven Gary Banks & Claudia Graziolo)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||100 (List of episodes)|
|Camera setup||Videotape (filmized); Multi-camera|
|Running time||22 minutes|
5914 Entertainment, LLC
20th Television (ad-sales)
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||June 2, 2010– November 23, 2012|
Are We There Yet? is an American television sitcom, which premiered on TBS on June 2, 2010. Based on the 2005 feature film of the same name, it revolves around a family dealing with normal family situations plus adapting to a new family setup after a divorced mother remarries. Ice Cube, Ali LeRoi, Matt Alvarez, Vince Totino, and Joe Roth serve as the show's executive producers.
On August 16, 2010, it was announced that Are We There Yet? has been renewed for 90 additional episodes. Thus far, 34 of those episodes have aired, concluding the second season. In August 2010 interviews, both Ice Cube and star Terry Crews expressed excitement about the show being picked up for the 5- or 6-season run.
The series takes place in a continuity different from that of Are We There Yet? and Are We Done Yet?, and centers on the blended Kingston-Persons of Seattle facing the challenges of everyday life in a new blended family. Nick Persons (Terry Crews) and Suzanne Kingston-Persons (Essence Atkins) have been married for 6 months and former athlete Nick has sold his sports-memorabilia shop and taken a job in information technology. He is still trying to figure out his role in the family and bond with Suzanne's two children: 14-year-old Lindsey, who's forever texting on her cellphone, and 12-year-old Kevin, who's usually seen playing video games or playing with his best friend Troy. The kids' father is Suzanne's ex-husband Frank Kingston, who has a new wife and son. Suzanne herself has very hectic schedule as a party planner. Nick's mother (Telma Hopkins) is not happy about her son's recent marriage or her new role as grandmother and has a hard time getting along with her new daughter-in-law. The series draws its humor from everyday family situations. Though sharing the title and characters from the original film, the story is more similar to the storyline of its sequel, Are We Done Yet? as opposed to Are We There Yet?.
- Terry Crews replaces Ice Cube as Nick Persons, Suzanne's husband and Lindsey and Kevin's stepfather. New to marriage and fatherhood, Nick is an ex-athlete who works in technology. The only child of an eccentric mother, he possesses solid family values and a strong work ethic. Nick used to own a sports-memorabilia store, but he recently sold the business to his best friend Martin and got a job as a sports reporter at KAWT.
- Essence Atkins replaces Nia Long as Suzanne Kingston-Persons, Nick's wife, Lindsey and Kevin's mother, and Terrence's sister. Suzanne is a modern woman with a career and love for her family. As a newlywed mother of two, she's trying to juggle family and career, while also trying to have a little fun. Suzanne is a successful event planner, known for her creative edge and attention to detail. She also has a childish wit, and often blames Nick for everything bad.
- Coy Stewart replaces Philip Daniel Bolden as Kevin Kingston, Suzanne's son, Nick's stepson, and Lindsey's younger brother. He is an avid soccer fan and can regularly be found watching his favorite player on TV. He also has a great interest in technology and computers. Smarter than his 10-year-old friends, Kevin is as precocious as he is lovable. He also has asthma, which was first seen in the 2005 film adaption. He loves to find his way around the rules. Kevin really wants to be the center of attention.
- Teala Dunn replaces Aleisha Allen as Lindsey Kingston, Suzanne's daughter, Nick's stepdaughter, and Kevin's older sister. At 14, Lindsey is a typical teen girl, who loves spending time with her friends and is attached to her cellphone. She has a strong bond with her parents and little brother, but she would prefer to hang out with friends instead of family. Lindsey often gets in trouble and she and Kevin often blackmail each other.
- Christian Finnegan replaces Jay Mohr as Martin aka Marty, Nick's best friend who now owns Nick's sports-memorabilia store. Martin is a lovable rogue who is single and dating. Quick dialogue from an episode implies that he may have once had a relationship with Suzanne's friend Gigi. He enjoys life and his friends, and helps Nick with any problems with Suzanne.
- Keesha Sharp as Gigi, Suzanne's assistant and best girl friend. Always ready for a good time, she frequently jets to the hottest parties in and out of town. She convinces Suzanne to not blame Nick so much.
- Telma Hopkins as Marilyn Persons, Nick's mother, Suzanne's mother-in-law, and the kids' new step-grandmother. She is constantly on the go and not available for babysitting. She's not thrilled about being any kind of grandmother and she isn't crazy about her new daughter-in-law, but Nick is her only child, so she has to adjust to his new life as a husband and father. (Seasons 2-3, recurring role in Season 1)
- Ice Cube as Terrence, Suzanne's paramilitary brother, Nick's brother-in-law, and the kids' uncle. Because he works for a Covert Government Agency, he is very secretive. He is protective of his only sister and uses every opportunity to remind Nick that he better be good to her, even by threatening to kill him. One of his running gags is when he points and says, "What's that?" and the person he's talking to will look away and will look back to see him disappear and hear the door slam. Cube originally portrayed Nick in the films.
- Charlie Murphy as Frank Kingston, Suzanne's ex-husband, Kevin and Lindsey's father, Terrence's former brother-in-law and Nick's rival. Frank neglected Kevin and Lindsey and is seen throughout the show trying to reconcile with the family, but Suzanne and Nick don't trust him.
- Michael Hall D'Addario as Troy, Kevin's best friend.
- Annie Q. as Kelly, Lindsey's best friend.
- Darrell Hammond as Brick Street, a KAWT anchor. (Season 3)
- Jacqueline Mazarella as Jackie, Troy's mother.
- Sherrod Small as Malcolm, Nick's friend.
- Joe D'Onofrio as Staten Island Mike, Nick's friend.
Production and development
The show is loosely based on the 2005 film of the same name and its 2007 sequel, released by Revolution Studios; however, the roles of Nick Persons, Suzanne Kingston, her two children, and Nick's friend Martin were recast for the series. The only cast member from the movies to appear is the show's executive producer, Ice Cube, though he appears in a recurring role as Terrence, Suzanne's brother and the kids' uncle. Although the series is appropriate for all ages, it is not as family-oriented as the films.
TBS greenlit the series in June 2009 for a 10 episode order, with the option to extend the episode order to 90 episodes. Unlike most sitcoms, the production of Are We There Yet? runs on a schedule which allows three episodes to be filmed over the course of a one-week period. The series is being distributed by Debmar-Mercury.
On Wednesday, May 18, 2011, it was announced that Are We There Yet? would return for new episodes on Friday starting September 30, 2011 at 8/7c on TBS and season 2 ended on May 4, 2011.
As of October 17, 2012, Are We There Yet? airs daily on TBS at its new time, which is 9:30am ET/PT. Are We There Yet? is in syndicated reruns on local stations.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (U.S. dates)|
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||10||June 2, 2010||June 30, 2010|
|2||34||January 5, 2011||May 4, 2011|
|3||56||September 17, 2012||November 23, 2012|
- 'Are We There Yet' Renewed by TBS for 90 More Episodes 16 August 2010 - tvbythenumbers
- "Ice Cube's Life Story?! Talks Tyler Perry, Woody Harrelson, TV Success and More!". UrbLife.com. August 16, 2010.
- "Terry Crews' Triple Threat! Friday Four?! Actor Speaks on Success, Family and More!". UrbLife.com. August 19, 2010.
- Are We There Yet' heads to TV
- New TBS sitcom 'Are We There Yet?' triples filming pace.
- Are We There Yet? at the Internet Movie Database
- Are We There Yet? at TV.com
- Are We There Yet? TBS TV official page